Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
October 14, 2019, 10:50:06 AM

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Silver Bullet - resurrection of a TJ  (Read 35156 times)
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #360 on: September 23, 2019, 04:39:13 PM »

Damn, my check engine light is on again.  For the P0455 large evap leak, AGAIN.  I'm going to smoke the thing again, maybe I missed a leak last time I did.
Can't remember if you've checked the tank side yet. Maybe something with the canister is cracked. I also assume a fresh gas cap was put on awhile ago?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gas cap is done.  From what I could tell the charcoal canister is good and sealed, as is the vacuum reservoir that sits over underneath the battery.  Once I get around to smoke it again I'll take another look at the manifold seals, then will consider dropping the fuel tank to check those connections.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #361 on: October 01, 2019, 04:37:54 PM »

Okay, scooped the Jeep from Matchless and it came out to a little under $200.  It's...better. But not in the way that I expected.  The unfortunate outcome is that the bottom rocker portion of the tub is just too mangled at this point to pull any farther away from the floorpan area. Spoke with the tech, and he said he did all he could without tearing or warping the steel.  Here is a before (left) and after (right)... please pardon all the hastily thrown-together Paint images in this post.

On the upside, my door seals 100% better. I had actually thought the door was partially warped this entire time--the rear and lower portions of the door never sealed properly and let tons of air in/out, and it always seemed like the door latch was only just grabbing on the tub as I shut it. Although it is still somewhat dented around the handle it seals almost 100% now, shuts with a satisfying noise, and more eagerly pops open when I pull on the latch.  Even if this repair isn't perfect, this saved me from buying a new hard door...which I was looking into. On top of that, the window regular always felt like it was really binding up as I rolled up/down, and I assumed this was a result of the bent door.  Again not perfect, but the regulator rolls noticeably smoother and the handle is much easier to turn.  The improved seal is a little more visible here:

Downside, this really didn't bring me all that much closer to having a viable surface for mounting rock rails or some sort of rocker guard that will cover up the mess.  The only option I foresee is a rock rail panel that will cover almost all the way up to the underside of the door. Up towards the bottom of the door it is much closer to where it needs to be.  I'm worried about purchasing something that doesn't cover high enough and having dirt/mud/debris getting stuck in there over time.

All in all I really think it's better than before, but am glad I didn't pay more.  Having a vastly improved seal will go a long way, and I'm glad I don't have to shell out the coin for a new full hard door.

Very open to thoughts on rock rails...anything that will provide me with the most coverage beneath the door, I am open to. Something like this:

Edit: a quick search reminded me that those cheap-o Barricade and Pro-Z rockers come a lot higher that I remember. May consider those for ~$200
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 04:41:06 PM by Jeepsnbuses »

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #362 on: October 01, 2019, 07:07:22 PM »

Posted in the other section, but I've had success with this cheap alternative.  There's also a version available with a step.

https://viciousoffroad.com/i-30515036-eag-97-06-jeep-wrangler-tj-armor-rocker-panel-guard-rock-sliders.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu_nFxqD85AIVConICh2p7QJqEAkYCiABEgJ72fD_BwE

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #363 on: October 03, 2019, 08:31:41 PM »

Posted in the other section, but I've had success with this cheap alternative.  There's also a version available with a step.

https://viciousoffroad.com/i-30515036-eag-97-06-jeep-wrangler-tj-armor-rocker-panel-guard-rock-sliders.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu_nFxqD85AIVConICh2p7QJqEAkYCiABEgJ72fD_BwE
For that price it seems like the way to go, but you could also just get some bar stock and make your own. A little exterior silicone on the back should fill in any gaps to seal it up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
crazyskier92
Forum User
« Reply #364 on: October 04, 2019, 05:36:58 AM »

You can have the tub that I have that is the same color as yours. I have about 5 wranglers I'm taking to the scrap yard in the next week or 2.

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #365 on: October 04, 2019, 08:12:56 AM »

You can have the tub that I have that is the same color as yours. I have about 5 wranglers I'm taking to the scrap yard in the next week or 2.

Scott can you text me some images?

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #366 on: October 04, 2019, 08:43:07 AM »

Sounds like a winter or spring project to me!

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #367 on: October 04, 2019, 11:58:19 AM »

Perhaps. Isn't there a club-owned hoist out there somewhere?

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #368 on: October 04, 2019, 12:01:33 PM »

Why yes I do have it.

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #369 on: October 04, 2019, 12:57:43 PM »

Why yes I do have it.

That thing could awkwardly handle a 300ish pound tub, amirite?

This is possible. I wouldn't do it in my Reston garage but my folks up in Maryland have a lot more space. Tempting

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #370 on: October 04, 2019, 03:08:34 PM »

Why yes I do have it.

That thing could awkwardly handle a 300ish pound tub, amirite?

This is possible. I wouldn't do it in my Reston garage but my folks up in Maryland have a lot more space. Tempting

Yes, yes it will.

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #371 on: October 04, 2019, 06:49:57 PM »

OK, ordered some rockers. Going to see how they fit on my current mangled tub and will assess whether or not to swap from there.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: