Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 07, 2019, 03:44:28 AM

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Silver Bullet - resurrection of a TJ  (Read 51916 times)
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #375 on: October 20, 2019, 10:05:01 AM »

Awesome job of bring this back from a "mostly dead" status!

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #376 on: November 10, 2019, 09:21:01 AM »

Revising my to-do list for this project:

- The center vents in my dash don't blow air, nor do the side vents by the doors. Hot or cold. I get air at all speeds under the dash and from the defog vent but nothing across the face of the dash. Thinking a stuck duct door of some sort?
- I have better shocks that need to go into the front.
- I have a set of 2" coil spring spacers to help reduce the pretty significant rake my Jeep has. Thinking of installing the 2" spacers as-is in the front, and moving the front OEM spacers to the rear. This rake has become more significant with the addition of the rocker guards in the body mounts.
- Have an adjustable track bar for the front that will go in along with the spacers. I've been chasing a knock/pop in my front suspension or steering for a while now and may have narrowed it down to the track bar. For the longest time I thought the frame-end of the track bar was torqued down properly, but the other day I noticed that in certain turned/flexed positions I am able to force some serious play in that end of the track bar.  I pulled the original (!!!) track and off a couple days ago and hope to tackle this one this week.

- I am still running on 2 different keys for this Jeep, one for the ignition (aftermarket) and another for the door locks (OEM). I have tried messing with the wafers in the lock cylinders to make my OEM key work in the ignition with no luck, but Spencer's Lock and Key in Sterling has told me they can take care of this for under $50.
- My check engine light is back on for the EVAP codes, and I think at this point it is worth dropping the tank. I am nearly out of fuel so now is the time. Hopefully replacing some of those seals and connections will resolve the evap issue, and will replace the fuel pump while I'm at it.  

Edit: I think I am going to get my hood painted as well. I've been scoping salvage yards and car-part.com for a while now and decent condition PS5-coded hoods are nowhere to be found. I did locate one up in PA, but for what they want for it I am better off saving time and just having my hood painted down the street.  Painting the hood will be the last real step body work-wise apart from replacing the front fenders with tubes.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 02:25:10 PM by Jeepsnbuses »

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
sjalkian
Member 2019
« Reply #377 on: November 10, 2019, 10:03:17 AM »

Regarding the pop you are hearing. Did it start when you put my axle on?  If so itís probably just the Spartan locker when turning. Lunchbox lockers like to make noises from time to time.

Sarkis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freebird - 2000 TJ SE
4.25 total lift (3" SL and 1.25"BL)
33's
Rear D44 with ARB locker and 33 spline cromo shafts and 4.88 gears
Front HP D30 with Aussie Locker and 4.88 gears
UCF Tummy Tuck
X20 10K Synthetic Winch
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #378 on: November 10, 2019, 11:03:59 AM »

Regarding the pop you are hearing. Did it start when you put my axle on?  If so itís probably just the Spartan locker when turning. Lunchbox lockers like to make noises from time to time.

Sarkis

Wish it was that easy, but no this has been there for a while. Itís more of a binding popping sound than the typical Spartan sound. I do hear the locker here and there in tight turns, though.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
sjalkian
Member 2019
« Reply #379 on: November 10, 2019, 11:05:53 AM »

Darn. Hopefully the new track bar and general suspension setup changes solves it.

Freebird - 2000 TJ SE
33's
UCF Tummy Tuck
X20 10K Synthetic Winch
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #380 on: November 10, 2019, 11:31:09 AM »

Darn. Hopefully the new track bar and general suspension setup changes solves it.

I'm hoping so. The track bar is definitely causing issues and was creating some noticeable instability at speed in the front end.  The popping could be caused by some binding somewhere up there that might be alleviated with lifting the front end just a hair with those spacers.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
sjalkian
Member 2019
« Reply #381 on: November 10, 2019, 11:34:55 AM »

I'm hoping so. The track bar is definitely causing issues and was creating some noticeable instability at speed in the front end.  The popping could be caused by some binding somewhere up there that might be alleviated with lifting the front end just a hair with those spacers.
Makes sense. I remember you have front upper adjustable CAs. When you add the spacer lift, we should look at caster and pinion angle. Caster needs to be good for that stability and return to center of the steering wheel.

Freebird - 2000 TJ SE
33's
UCF Tummy Tuck
X20 10K Synthetic Winch
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #382 on: November 16, 2019, 02:24:27 PM »

Knocked out the coil spring spacers, front shocks, track bar, and some basic maintenance today. The spacers decreased the Jeep's rake less than expected, but it still moved a little ways in the right direction.  I think it's sitting where it should be at this point.  The ride is vastly improved with the Rancho shocks over the old Monroes I had in there as placeholders, and the better track bar made an enormous difference in adding stability to the front end. The frame-side of the track bar is much, much tighter. I also noticed as I was pulling things apart that the OEM flag nut on the axle side had snapped the nut loose from the flag...makes me think that end wasn't as tight as I thought. The new track bar also curves away from the steering so things have a little more breathing room under there.  Greased everything up before taking it through some twisties and it felt great.  It's difficult to tell in these pics, but the front end is definitely higher.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #383 on: November 21, 2019, 07:21:25 PM »

Installed the bumper and tire carrier purchased from Rich earlier this week and thrilled with the results. Never knew I needed one but it does a whole lot to clean up the look of the Jeep.  Wire wheeled/sanded and touched up a few paint bits here and there, and it came out looking great. Pics are a little shady because they were at night under some fluorescent lighting, so looking forward to getting some daytime outdoor shots as well.  Rear floods are wired into reverse and are only a little blinding.

This weekend a new belly skid is going on, and hopefully getting hold of some thinner flares nearby. Also need to wire up a third brake light.  This Jeep is looking good.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #384 on: November 21, 2019, 08:23:10 PM »

That is one awesome looking bumper!   Thumbs Up   Wink

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Irish_Wake
Member 2019
Arlington, VA
« Reply #385 on: November 22, 2019, 10:43:46 AM »

That is one awesome looking bumper!   Thumbs Up   Wink
Agreed!  Wishing I had jumped on it, although I've got enough on my plate as it is currently

-Patrick

'00 TJ 4.0 Sport - Bone stock everything
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #386 on: November 22, 2019, 08:04:06 PM »

Agreed!  Wishing I had jumped on it, although I've got enough on my plate as it is currently

You've got enough going on for sure.  One step at a time my friend! 

unl1mtd
BOD
King George, VA
« Reply #387 on: November 24, 2019, 10:04:41 AM »

Installed the bumper and tire carrier purchased from Rich earlier this week and thrilled with the results. Never knew I needed one but it does a whole lot to clean up the look of the Jeep.  Wire wheeled/sanded and touched up a few paint bits here and there, and it came out looking great.

whoa whoa whoa, wire wheel and paint touch up required from something previously owned by Rich, I call BS!   Moon

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #388 on: November 24, 2019, 02:12:50 PM »

Installed the bumper and tire carrier purchased from Rich earlier this week and thrilled with the results. Never knew I needed one but it does a whole lot to clean up the look of the Jeep.  Wire wheeled/sanded and touched up a few paint bits here and there, and it came out looking great.

whoa whoa whoa, wire wheel and paint touch up required from something previously owned by Rich, I call BS!   Moon

Itís true! Though I will admit Rich did NOT install the tire carrier, so I think he had put it on the back burner.

Today, swapped in the new-to-me Barnes belly skid, and installed some non-Rubi flares that I acquired yesterday...doesnít look as wide and goofy as it did before with the Rubicon flares. Reinstalled the splash guards as well, which have been off for months.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #389 on: December 02, 2019, 01:38:16 PM »

May have found my popping noise culprit. Jacked the front end up a few minutes ago to shake around for ball joints and loose connections, and saw the axle/bushing side of the steering stabilizer shifting around quite a bit as I wiggled the passenger side wheel. Would be a bummer if that is wallowed out and needs a weld...I'm thinking it's that or the bushing is torched. We will find out today.

On an upside, ordered an oil pan skid and steering box skid today.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 01:59:12 PM by Jeepsnbuses »

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: