Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 13, 2019, 09:18:02 AM

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Silver Bullet - resurrection of a TJ  (Read 52816 times)
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #390 on: December 02, 2019, 05:00:36 PM »

It was definitely the stabilizer. Removed and went for a drive and couldn't trigger the noise again. From what I can tell, either A) the mounting bracket on the axle, and subsequently the bushing/sleeve have been wallowed out or B) I have the incorrect size bolt. I am almost positive I just re-used the bolt from my original axle when I swapped in Sarkis' D30, but I'll double check.

Thoughts on running steering stabilizer-free? I ran speeds up to 55 on my test drive without issue and couldn't trigger any crazy DW.  Wondering if my smaller 30" tires, combined with the newer track bar and ZJ steering, is compensating for what would have been less rigid/dampened.  Looks like the correct bolt should be an M12x1.75x65 according to my manual...if I order it and it works I'll run with it, if not I am thinking it should be fine the survive the treacherous roads of Reston without it.

Edit: quickly found the bolt on McMaster, albeit 5mm longer. We will give that a try.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 05:07:29 PM by Jeepsnbuses »

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #391 on: December 02, 2019, 09:14:56 PM »

whoa whoa whoa, wire wheel and paint touch up required from something previously owned by Rich, I call BS!   Moon

LOL, I just caught this.  I'm guessing he painted the one part I didn't touch, i.e. the tire carrier.

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #392 on: December 02, 2019, 09:19:13 PM »

On an upside, ordered an oil pan skid and steering box skid today.

Looks like you were a little faster than me.  I'll be passing on, cheap, a Kilby steering box skid I picked up from Sean years ago.  My new PSC steering setup won't let me run it anymore.

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #393 on: December 02, 2019, 11:02:37 PM »

As always the offer is appreciated Rich. Iím struggling to not pull the trigger on the 33ís you just posted... Sticking to 31ish at most for this one, though.

At least for now

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #394 on: December 02, 2019, 11:45:09 PM »

As always the offer is appreciated Rich. Iím struggling to not pull the trigger on the 33ís you just posted... Sticking to 31ish at most for this one, though.

At least for now

I mean of you're gonna go there eventually....

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #395 on: December 03, 2019, 07:28:36 AM »

Absolutely nothing wrong with sticking to a 31" tire.  I went from 33s to 31s on the red TJ and all I lost was 1.25" of clearance at the skid.  Done right a TJ on 31" tires can easily wheel with Jeeps on 33" or 35" tires.  Why do I say this?  Because I did it.  Of course the caveat is there's a bunch of work needed to make that happen.  Body and Motor Mount lifts, steering riser, exhaust mods, ultra tummy tuck, adjustable control arms, 2" to 3" lift and more.  The result was almost 17" of clearance at the skid, on 31" tires!  For reference, my LJ on 35" tires has about 1/2" more clearance than that.   What you gain with 31s is daily drivability.  The Jeep will feel lighter, respond to steering input better, and will certainly get much better gas mileage.  FWIW, I could get 17 -18 mpg on 31s.  The best I could do on 33's was 13 - 14 mpg. 

All that said, a TJ on 33s, with the proper suspension, just looks right.  33s will also get you more tire contact on the rocks and more tire bite in soft terrain.  The great thing about jeeps is that you get to make it what you want.  Think of it as a blank canvas and you're the artist.  Stephen is right though.  You will go to 33s at some point, it is inevitable.  In the meantime, build it your way, drive it for fun, and always appreciate it for the icon it is.

Rich     

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #396 on: December 03, 2019, 07:56:41 AM »

At least for now

I mean of you're gonna go there eventually....

Don't you tempt me ricky bobby!

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #397 on: December 03, 2019, 08:00:56 AM »

Absolutely nothing wrong with sticking to a 31" tire.  I went from 33s to 31s on the red TJ and all I lost was 1.25" of clearance at the skid.  Done right a TJ on 31" tires can easily wheel with Jeeps on 33" or 35" tires.  Why do I say this?  Because I did it.  Of course the caveat is there's a bunch of work needed to make that happen.  Body and Motor Mount lifts, steering riser, exhaust mods, ultra tummy tuck, adjustable control arms, 2" to 3" lift and more.  The result was almost 17" of clearance at the skid, on 31" tires!  For reference, my LJ on 35" tires has about 1/2" more clearance than that.   What you gain with 31s is daily drivability.  The Jeep will feel lighter, respond to steering input better, and will certainly get much better gas mileage.  FWIW, I could get 17 -18 mpg on 31s.  The best I could do on 33's was 13 - 14 mpg. 

All that said, a TJ on 33s, with the proper suspension, just looks right.  33s will also get you more tire contact on the rocks and more tire bite in soft terrain.  The great thing about jeeps is that you get to make it what you want.  Think of it as a blank canvas and you're the artist.  Stephen is right though.  You will go to 33s at some point, it is inevitable.  In the meantime, build it your way, drive it for fun, and always appreciate it for the icon it is.

Rich     

I'd tend to agree with this as well, which is what makes the 33s so tempting. But when I do end up with 33s I intend to do so correctly and with the right equipment--I could probably force something now, but I know I wouldn't be pleased with the quality of the outcome. For the 350ish days a year in the near future where it will just be cruising around Reston I really want to have that nimble driveability.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #398 on: December 03, 2019, 08:28:55 AM »

But when I do end up with 33s I intend to do so correctly and with the right equipment--I could probably force something now, but I know I wouldn't be pleased with the quality of the outcome. For the 350ish days a year in the near future where it will just be cruising around Reston I really want to have that nimble driveability.

This is a good approach.  I've built enough TJs on 33s to know what it takes to get them right.  Some will argue that it can be done cheap, but "cheap" is another word for compromise.  When you're ready, you know where I am!   Jeep Wave

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #399 on: December 03, 2019, 05:38:03 PM »

So to my surprise, I had the right bolt in the steering damper...it matches the McMaster bolts that just arrived, and those matched the bolt size in the factory manual. The bolt has some room to wiggle around in the sleeve of the current near-new damper, and also in the axle bracket. Long-term Iíll figure out another solution, going to run without a damper for the time being.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #400 on: December 04, 2019, 03:02:20 PM »

Oil pan skid is on. Wayyy more of a pain than it should've been. I'm thinking my exhaust downpipe after the manifold was slightly bent in the accident years ago. Snaking the skid in to reach the mounting hole on the driver's side required me to ratchet-step the downpipes slightly out of the way to create clearance.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #401 on: December 05, 2019, 03:14:47 PM »

Tried to re-install the steering stabilizer with the new axle-side bolt for good measure with no success. Triple-checked the torque, and was hopeful for a moment because I noticed the unthreaded portion of the new bolt was noticeably thicker than the old one.  Still wobbled around, so it must just be a bad bushing sleeve. Dropping into Napa today to see if they'll warranty/replace the current damper.  Sounds like they generally aren't required but I'd really like to have it in place.

Also installed a steering box skid today, but have a phantom third bolt hole leftover due to the stubby bumper setup I currently have:

It's just a hair forward of the front crossmember. Some shadetree posts I've seen from people in similar situations say "just run with it," but I'm a little wary of my front end dropping onto a rock and bending it up. There are only two other bolts mounting the skid--one using a steering box bolt on the side of the frame, and another using a remaining welded frame nut.  It's definitely solid, but that hole is there for a reason--two mounting points does not seem like enough. 

Thinking about maybe a HD exhaust clamp or something? Could wrap around that crossmember and just tie into the skid. Anything to help spread out a potential load/slam on it would help.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
sjalkian
Member 2019
« Reply #402 on: December 05, 2019, 03:19:43 PM »

That gap is there on the steering skid because you donít have a front bumper. My 3rd hole bolts into the bumper. I have a stock bumper you can have if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freebird - 2000 TJ SE
4.25 total lift (3" SL and 1.25"BL)
33's
Rear D44 with ARB locker and 33 spline cromo shafts and 4.88 gears
Front HP D30 with Aussie Locker and 4.88 gears
UCF Tummy Tuck
X20 10K Synthetic Winch
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #403 on: December 05, 2019, 03:29:26 PM »

That gap is there on the steering skid because you donít have a front bumper. My 3rd hole bolts into the bumper. I have a stock bumper you can have if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I could cut it up, but I don't think it would work with my winch plate setup

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #404 on: December 05, 2019, 03:33:28 PM »

I drilled a hole and added a self-threading (thread cutter type) bolt into the forth hole because mine did not mesh with an existing bumper hole.  Gave me a better feeling about it.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: