Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 24, 2018, 09:55:44 PM

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Running....  (Read 2103 times)
Go Caps Go
Member 2018
My kids wanted a puppy; they got a Jeep
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 10:52:36 AM »

I agree with sirjames.  The body lift allows a tummy tuck, which is huge as you can ditch that "shovel" on the front of your transfer case skid.  It is the low point on the underside, so getting another 2 inches of clearance, especially where you are prone to bottom out on large obstacles, is huge.  It is the one thing that always gets caught when I am wheeling.  I have a tummy tuck kit in my garage ready to go in come spring and nicer weather. 

I also have the OME shocks and HD springs.  Again, could not be happier.  The HD springs are not too stiff at all.  Of course, I have aftermarket bumpers, winch, etc so there is a bit of weight on them.  No need for adjustable springs, so I just bought the full OME kit and the kids and I threw it in over a weekend. 

Ken
Go Caps Go

05 TJ Rubicon
mopar31898
Forum User
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 05:55:00 PM »

Sirjames and go caps go,

Thanks for getting back with me.

I have a few things in follow up:

1.  Did you have any issues with driveline vibration, etc. that you get with lift?

2.  If I don't have a winch, armor, bumpers right now, would I have a bad ride with the HD springs?

3.  I am not too familiar with body lifts.  I have the banks turbo setup which involves a little extra piping, plumbing for the intercooler, etc.  Would the BL cause any issues with that stuff.

Lastly, based on your last few posts and my own thoughts, what would you think of this plan:

Right now, I have 31s and a stock lift.  The 31s are brand new.  So I was thinking of getting the OME springs with the BL  and the rest of the kit from the link you provided.  Right now, I would only install the springs so it doesn't look goofy with tiny tires.  I think I would go with an adjustable shock just because I like the idea of the adjustable shock; nothing against the OME shocks.  Then once the 31s are worn out, add the BL and go to 33s.  What would you think of that plan.

sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2018, 07:50:34 AM »

1. I had no issues with vibrations from the lift, however I also have an LJ so I get some more wiggle room than a TJ.  However, I believe you can still get away with 3 inches of lift before vibrations start on a TJ.  Putting in the motor mount lift helps with this too I believe.  If you do get any vibrations, it's not that hard to put in a t-case drop either, but that does reduce your clearance.  Think of that more as a stop gap until you can get an SYE than a permanent solution.

2. I don't think the ride will be that bad.  Will it be a little stiff?  Probably.  But I'd bet you wouldn't notice since your current stock set up is 12+ years old and probably worn out at this point anyway.  All I have is an aftermarket front bumper, no armor with a factory rear bumper and it's fine.

3. I don't think the body lift will cause any issues with the turbo.  All a body lift does is move the body an inch up off the frame.  If anything it'll be better because you'll have a little more room to work around stuff.

As for your plan, it's not a bad option.  Personally, I'd install the BL first, because once you do the suspension, it will make the tires look small.  However, I ran the full lift I linked to above with 30s for 9 months while I saved up for bigger tires with 0 issues.  I've got a before/after picture I'll upload so you can see the difference.

Also, just in case I haven't said this already, anytime you see me around, feel free to come and look at the Jeep and see all this in person.  I'll be happy to let you drive it around the block and see what you think as well.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
Go Caps Go
Member 2018
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2018, 07:53:20 AM »

I had zero driveline vibration problems, and that is with retaining the stock control arms.  I did not have to change any angles or anything else.

I do not think the HD springs would result in a bad ride on a stock verhicle, but do not know for sure. I installed the bumpers and winch prior to lifting it. Someone must have done the opposite, so perhaps they can weigh in. When i did my reasearch on lifts, i was also concerned about getting the HD shocks and ending up with a rough ride. Found several posts with folks who went HD prior to adding weight, and very few indicated it was a rough ride.  

I do not know how the body lift would effect the turbo set up. Basically you are lifting the body off the frame by 1.5 inches, which gives more space underneath for most applications. In the engine bay, little is actually mounted to the body, as most of it is attached directly to the frame, thus nothing shifts.  Even the exhaust should not be effected, as all of it should run along the frame as well.

As to your plan, the springs determine the height, the shocks limit travel and dampen movement.  As soon as you put those springs in, you are lifted as high as it is going to be, minus the body lift. I think you should replace the shocks at the same time, as the stock shocks will not have the extra length, and i would think would compress the springs artificially (someone confirm, as i am not sure but think that is correct (?)).

If it were me, i would do the whole ball of wax.  It is not that large a lift, so 31s will not look bad. See second photo of the set Dain linked. If you retain the stock fender flares it looks fine.  

Ken
Go Caps Go

05 TJ Rubicon
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2018, 07:57:20 AM »

Here's the before/after on 30s then 33s with the whole lift.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
Go Caps Go
Member 2018
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2018, 09:46:48 AM »

Keep in mind, while the diameter difference between a 31 and 33 is two inches, but from the hub/axle it is only one inch outward.  So it only fills the wheel wells by this much:  I___________I

That's it.  Focus on the end result, not what it looks like during the transition (which by the way, it will still look awesome).  Don't take form over function.

Ken
Go Caps Go

05 TJ Rubicon
Rken1288
Forum User
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2018, 02:54:22 PM »

Sorry, forgot to come back to this.  In the 2 inch suspension + 1 BL vs 3 suspension, I'm in the 2inch + BL camp.  Does it limit my up travel a bit?  Yes.  But by adding the BL and a MML lift, you are laying the groundwork for a tummy tuck, which gains you that inch back where it counts, underneath the Jeep.  Personally, I'll sacrifice an inch of up travel or an extra inch of clearance (or more depending on which set up you go with) any day.

For the OME setup, I went with the heavy duty springs, which I highly recommend.  Their stock rate springs will barely give you an inch of lift.  With the HD springs I was a little over 2 inches, but not quite to 2.5.  I haven't measured since they were installed a year ago, so they could have settled down to 2 inches now.  If you run any kind of steel bumpers or larger tires, it automatically puts you in the HD weight category anyway.  I also haven't felt a need to run a different shock, the OME ones are really good.  But if you want to run an adjustable, Fox has a great reputation.  For me, it was easier to buy everything as a kit from DPG Offroad and not have to worry about a bunch of different things.  If you go the OME route, seriously just call Dirk and he'll set you up.  I'm sure you've seen his name/this kit floating around if you've been looking into an OME lift, and all I can say is it matches the hype.  I talked with Dirk on the phone multiple times for 30-45min and he answered all my questions.  https://www.dpgoffroad.com/product/old-man-emu-ultimate-tjlj-wrangler-kit/

I don't know anyone running the JKS lift, but again their reputation is very good, so you should be ok.
I agree...give Dirk a call....I am running the Ultimate set up. OME springs and shocks, JKS track bars front and rear, JKS sway bar links front and rear. JKS BL with the Brown Dog MML. Running 33ís with zero vibrations. Rides like a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: