Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 26, 2018, 08:27:50 AM

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air down question  (Read 1073 times)
Jammer
Forum User
« on: March 14, 2018, 06:49:49 AM »

Going to buy a set of the auto air deflaters and then I got to thinking.

Do you air down the same on trails as you do the beach?

Figured I'd check on the consensus and see what everyone else might be doing?

I usually run around 15 on both beach and trail. Pretty much do more beach riding than trails but will probably be in the mountains alot more.

Mentioned this over on the Wrangler forum and one guy had a pretty good answer.  He had a set and ran (2) at 12 and (2) at 8.

Jeep Freak
Website Committee/TRC
BOD
Jeep Jedi
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 07:41:39 AM »

The rule of thumb I've seen is, unless you have bead locks, it's probably not a good idea to go below 15psi on the rocks. More chance that you could pop the tire off the bead. I usually air down to 15-20 on the trail. 

'93 YJ SOA on 36s
'13 JKUR
cmason164
Member 2018
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 07:46:49 AM »

Without beadlocks, if its dry, I ran 15 psi, if its wet, I would go to 12.  This was with a 12.5" tire on an 8" wide rim.  Never had any issues.  This weekend will be my first trip with the beadlocks, i'm going to start around 8 psi and go down from there... Laughing

For the beach, I wait to see what the sand is like before airing down.  DE beaches I would usually end up around 20, Corolla, wasnt worth airing down...Hatteras has some soft stuff, so I'd go to 15
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 07:49:30 AM by cmason164 »

AutoTraker
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 07:54:28 AM »

I usually run around 15 on both beach and trail. Pretty much do more beach riding than trails but will probably be in the mountains alot more.

Mentioned this over on the Wrangler forum and one guy had a pretty good answer.  He had a set and ran (2) at 12 and (2) at 8.
4wd vehicles normally need to have all 4 tires equilized in diameter. Unequal pressure usually means unequal size putting strain on your drivetrain. Unless your vehicle is grossly heavier on one end than the other, you should always keep your tires equilized in pressure.
Inflation pressure all depends on tire design, sidewall strength, wheel width, weight, and terrain. No single air pressure is suitable for all tire combinations, vehicle, or terrain.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

--
Rich...
Last count have 3 Jeeps. A CJ, TJ & a XJ.  Also got a Yota.
I Live in a Country Founded by Geniuses but Run by Idiots.
Central Virginia Jeepers
RCPFA
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 08:10:05 AM »

Well, I haven't been on the sand in a long time, but I air down to 12psi every time I go wheeling.  Haven't popped a bead yet, 33x10.5 on 15x8.  If I was on the sand, I'd probably start around the same (12-15), and drop down another 3-5 pounds if I got stuck/bogged.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
Jammer
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 08:37:12 AM »

4wd vehicles normally need to have all 4 tires equilized in diameter. Unequal pressure usually means unequal size putting strain on your drivetrain. Unless your vehicle is grossly heavier on one end than the other, you should always keep your tires equilized in pressure.
Inflation pressure all depends on tire design, sidewall strength, wheel width, weight, and terrain. No single air pressure is suitable for all tire combinations, vehicle, or terrain.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

true, but...the different settings were for the different terrains.  he would air down two tires at a time.  ;oP

cmason164
Member 2018
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 09:03:30 AM »

Well, I haven't been on the sand in a long time, but I air down to 12psi every time I go wheeling. 

So you've aired down once?

Bang!

Happy  B-day Jeep Wave

z4iken
Club Member at Large
2016 JK
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 09:04:50 AM »

Well, I haven't been on the sand in a long time, but I air down to 12psi every time I go wheeling.  Haven't popped a bead yet, 33x10.5 on 15x8.  If I was on the sand, I'd probably start around the same (12-15), and drop down another 3-5 pounds if I got stuck/bogged.

Did you pop a bead flexing in front of Macy's tho

@OP: fwiw, when I had skinny 34's, I aired down to 12psi and never popped a bead. With 35's, I air down to 12psi and have never popped a bead

The Jeremy Theorem: Just buy 35's the first time
The Bill Corrolary: Bill is always technically right
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 09:08:51 AM »

Well, I haven't been on the sand in a long time, but I air down to 12psi every time I go wheeling. 

So you've aired down once?

Bang!

Happy  B-day Jeep Wave

Hey just cause I can count my air downs on one hand doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about! lol

Joking aside, that's what Turkey and I both run since he told me how far down to go, and I haven't heard of problems for him either.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 09:18:39 AM »

The pressure depends on your tire and wheel combo and vehicle weight, as much as anything else. I run 35 12.50 15's on 10" wheels, most of the time I am at 15-17 PSI off road and 22-25 on road. For highway use, I set the PSI off of the contact pattern on the road and adjust by a couple PSI if tread wear is noticed.

Also be aware that airing down too much can have adverse effects, loosing ground clearance can get you stuck easier than loosing a little traction from a higher psi. As well as popping a bead.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:20:38 AM by highlandercj-7 »

HighlanderCJ-7
Jammer
Forum User
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 10:27:29 AM »

The pressure depends on your tire and wheel combo and vehicle weight, as much as anything else.

We are now running 31x10.5x15 on 8" wheels.  The 15psi has been our standard on the smaller tires we used to run.

highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 10:35:44 AM »

15 would be fine on that.

HighlanderCJ-7
Davetopay
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 08:50:37 AM »

It really comes down to a bunch of factors.

tire width
Rim width
The way the rim's bead lip is designed.
the construction and load rating of the tire.
the weight of the vehicle

You gatta try different pressures to see what works for you.

I think I saw a thing, but I don't know what thing I thought I saw.
schreiberaj
Forum User
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 09:48:19 AM »

Depends on the tire. There's plenty of guides out there (a few of the autodeflator manufacturers have them too). I run 6-8 on my 35's and have no issue. I ran 10-12 on my 33's and never had any issues.

Clifford04X
Forum User
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 11:04:32 AM »

I love a good tire pressure discussion.  Almost as much as a auto vs manual

04 TJ, 5.5" Clayton long arm, Waggy 44 front, 8.8 Rear, 5.13's, Lockers, NP241OR, 36 iroks, Allied beadlocks, Hydro assist, Warn bumpers/sliders, M8000 winch.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: