Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
August 19, 2018, 04:11:33 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio  (Read 3281 times)
Hank
Forum User
« on: March 19, 2018, 07:50:21 PM »

What radios do you guys use for Comm on the trails? I'm familiar with and have a licence for CB, HAM, and GMRS. 

Ratty old 1995 YJ with a 2.5, AX5, 4" lift, an 33's.
unleashd
Member 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 07:52:45 PM »

I've searched around and CB is most commonly mentioned. I was thinking of getting a GMRS license, depending on how many others may be using it as well.

KN4MAT
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport
tomjones20194
Member 2018
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 07:56:47 PM »

The large majority of folks use CBs.  In fact, Everyone Iíve ever wheeled with used CB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--------
1979 CJ-5 Renegade Levi Edition (360 V8)
2008 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
unleashd
Member 2018
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 12:45:36 PM »

I am also signing up for the Fairfax County HAM operator training. Not sure of the future plans but would like to start down that path.

KN4MAT
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Goonie
Member 2018
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 01:35:17 PM »

I have been looking at getting my HAM as well.

2015 White Renegade Trail Hawk.
2018 Chief Blue JKU
Hank
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 02:03:04 PM »

I am also signing up for the Fairfax County HAM operator training. Not sure of the future plans but would like to start down that path.

Itís an enjoyable hobby. Iím not much of a talker but I like to tinker.

karlmagnum
Forum User
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 02:51:48 AM »

I use CB and I have a Cobra 75WXST. It's a complete kit that I got at Right Channel Radios.

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 05:59:28 AM »

I've searched around and CB is most commonly mentioned. I was thinking of getting a GMRS license, depending on how many others may be using it as well.

Some of the Scrambler owners I ride with in central VA are now using GMRS along with CB. They like it. I was thinking of getting a unit. But until more people use it, it will just be the small group of users and we would need to have both on to get all of the communications anyway.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
Hank
Forum User
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 05:24:03 PM »

Some of the Scrambler owners I ride with in central VA are now using GMRS along with CB. They like it. I was thinking of getting a unit. But until more people use it, it will just be the small group of users and we would need to have both on to get all of the communications anyway.

I use the GMRS mostly with the family when we are out walking trails and such.

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 06:24:56 PM »

And what do you think of it?  Pros and cons?

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Hank
Forum User
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 07:15:04 AM »

And what do you think of it?  Pros and cons?

Well you are allowed 5 watts on a handheld, more power than the 0.5W FRS (Family Radio Service) for sure. Your license covers you and your immediate family. The license does however cost 90$ and there are more rules to follow like using your call sign. There is little if any policing on GMRS much like CB and FRS. At most some one will say something to you. Just keep civil and if they are right well they are right. For Jeeps and Trails a mobile or base station install usually runs 50W.  Certainly a lot more than CB at 4W. You can get some very robust handheld/mobile radios to work on GMRS. GMRS allows the use of repeaters as well. You could put one in a Jeep. Put the repeater Jeep in the middle of your group and effectively double your coverage area. Also, you could put a repeater vehicle (or suitcase repeater) on top of a hill that oversees the whole trail and have Comm. on the entire trail. Really cool stuff. There is MURS (Multi-use Radio Service) but, Iím not overly familiar with that. I believe itís only 2W.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:22:43 AM by Hank »

Hank
Forum User
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 07:17:52 AM »

Ignore this post. I somehow quoted myself and made another post. I deleted the content but do not know how to delete the post entirely.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:24:54 AM by Hank »

Hank
Forum User
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 10:21:16 AM »

Found some new regulations.

https://midlandusa.com/6-things-you-should-know-about-fcc-changes-for-frs-and-gmrs-radios/

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 11:01:55 AM »

Found some new regulations.

https://midlandusa.com/6-things-you-should-know-about-fcc-changes-for-frs-and-gmrs-radios/

Thanks. Good info

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Dynamic
Member 2018
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 09:24:45 AM »

I run a CB, but the small group i primary wheel with is pushing hard to change GMRS / HAM  race radio setups.   

Problems we have run into
Our group is fully tuned but the general CB user hasn't taken the time to do it so the quality goes down hill fast.
My last 2 Day trips to flagpole / Peters mill have just been aweful, People channel jumping and yelling interrupting staying queued up and pushing static.  Just this last weekend we had to change channels 3 times.   I was joking we are going to have to start doing a Smokey and the bandit style "Stay on Odds and switch everytime" 

2011 JKU Rubicon Project "Serenity" -> SOLD
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon Serenity 2.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: