Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
August 15, 2018, 01:16:39 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GM v8 HEI install issues  (Read 457 times)
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« on: June 15, 2018, 07:09:28 PM »

So this should not be so complicated. Here is the long story long.

Old pertonix ignition with old style coil started to randomly not start and then would start. Then last weekend, it decided it never wanted to start again (no spark).

We had an HEI that my son bought for this Impala at least a year ago. So, we decided to install it.

Found TDC, dropped in the new distributor and hooked it all up. It coughed and backfired, but never started. Timing, right?  Sure.

Payton and I were both home this afternoon so we decided to tackle it.

Tried a few different teeth positions for the distributor gear. Still nothing. Canít even get it to cough. Put a spark tester on it at the distributor end of the wires and no spark is coming out of the distributor.

Payton used the internet to see how to test the coil with the multimeter. I did not see it, but I trust him. I was in the house working. But I am at my wits end as to why there is no spark unless the HEI is bad (maybe the ignition module).

Worst case, is I buy a new HEI and try it. Possibly wasting a good bit of $$$.

We even tool the distributor out, connected the ďBATĒ connection directly to the positive on the battery, turned the gear at the bottom of the distributor to see if I can get spark at the cap, but nothing.

Do I just need to get another one?  Chalk this up to bad Chinese crap?  Try a new ignition module (inside the distributor)? 

This Impala is becoming the bane of my existence.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 08:02:38 AM »

Are you sure it's getting power and ground, in the car? Some fusible links and voltage regulators cause issues. With both systems giving you issues, I'd lean more toward another cause.

However, I have no faith in china electrical parts, so it's hard to say if the new one is good.

HighlanderCJ-7
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 08:31:29 AM »

Are you sure it's getting power and ground, in the car? Some fusible links and voltage regulators cause issues. With both systems giving you issues, I'd lean more toward another cause.

However, I have no faith in china electrical parts, so it's hard to say if the new one is good.

Supposedly the distributor gets itís ground from the top of the engine (through the gasket?). And yes, I have connected a power line (12v) directly from the battery to test it and it is the same result.

Funny thing was it was sputtering and coughing at first, but now, nothing.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

RattleTrap55
Member 2018
84 CJ7
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 08:39:55 AM »

This was by far the biggest my biggest frustration when rebuilding the CJ. It felt like 5-10% of the parts I purchase were defective out of box either non-functioning or out of spec to point that it was unusable. This included electrical and mechanical as well as bearings & bushing. The lack of quality control was an issue with brands I knew & trusted as well as new to me brands & store brands.

3.5 Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 08:49:05 AM »

Well, after yard work, I may run out to see what HEIs are available

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

DamienD
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 06:49:51 AM »

If its spitting and coughing your getting power, sounds like your 180 out.( you can confirm TDC by pulling the valve covers and looking at the rocker arms, look it up) did you mark number 1 on the dist. body and make sure its not past number 1 after the dist. teeth have mashed with the cam?
do you have the firing order correct and wires in the correct direction?

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 07:58:18 AM »

If its spitting and coughing your getting power, sounds like your 180 out.( you can confirm TDC by pulling the valve covers and looking at the rocker arms, look it up) did you mark number 1 on the dist. body and make sure its not past number 1 after the dist. teeth have mashed with the cam?
do you have the firing order correct and wires in the correct direction?

Thanks Damien. It coughed and spit only the first time we tried. I rotated it and no good. I have not gotten it to sputter again. We did not pull the valve cover, but know that is a way to test tdc. I used a small screwdriver to tell when the piston was at the top of its travel in the #1 cylinder. And yes, i have the firing order correct.

Even with the distributor out of the car and hooked up to power and ground, I should see spark as I rotate the shaft, right?  Why would I not be getting spark out of the cap?

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

DamienD
Forum User
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 06:25:47 AM »

you putting a large body HEI dist. in, the one with the coil in the cap?

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 06:31:36 AM »

you putting a large body HEI dist. in, the one with the coil in the cap?

Yes sir.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 06:41:36 AM »

A stupid question but how is the timing chain. I had similar issues with an old 307. I chased my tail with the distributor and the nylon timing gears were missing 3/4 of the teeth.

HighlanderCJ-7
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 06:46:32 AM »

A stupid question but how is the timing chain. I had similar issues with an old 307. I chased my tail with the distributor and the nylon timing gears were missing 3/4 of the teeth.

Good question. I have not looked st the chain.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Davetopay
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »

Don't get distracted. Even if the timing chain has jumped/is a floppy worn out mess, the lack of electrical activity is your main concern.

Basic timing chain wear test is to stab in the distributor with no cap, take a breaker bar and spin the crank by hand. If there is a big delay between when you move the crank and when the rotor turns, look at the actual timing set.

I think I saw a thing, but I don't know what thing I thought I saw.
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 02:59:16 PM »

Don't get distracted. Even if the timing chain has jumped/is a floppy worn out mess, the lack of electrical activity is your main concern.

Basic timing chain wear test is to stab in the distributor with no cap, take a breaker bar and spin the crank by hand. If there is a big delay between when you move the crank and when the rotor turns, look at the actual timing set.

Thanks. Electrical is my first priority. But good to know on the timing chain test.

Now that the Scrambler is acting up too, I need to get both up and running. Grrrrrrrr

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »

Thanks. Electrical is my first priority. But good to know on the timing chain test.

Now that the Scrambler is acting up too, I need to get both up and running. Grrrrrrrr

Just daily drive little red.

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 03:12:19 PM »

Just daily drive little red.

On the beltway!  Need plates for it first.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: