August 15, 2018, 01:16:28 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio  (Read 3200 times)
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 09:44:10 AM »

I'll be honest, the GMRS/HAM license stuff is pretty close to a deal breaker for me.  The more I read about it, the more intrigued I get by MURS however.  Has anyone used one?

https://www.itstactical.com/digicom/comms/the-best-kept-secret-in-radio-communication/

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
nosigma
Member 2018
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 05:44:59 PM »

A little late to the party....

Some bonifides, I am a licensed amatuer with a General ticket.  I compete regularly in FM VHF/UHF (50 MHz to 448MHz) nationwide communication contests and have two 1st place, two 2nd place and a 3rd place finish. I work these contests from either Flag Pole or Reddish Knob.  I also have a lot of experience running CB and FRS/GMRS on trail rides.

The article cited above is sort of half baked, some is true, some is false and a lot of broad statements that are dubious or wild extrapolations based on rare conditions are made.

Here are my reccomendations:

1) You must have a CB.  This is what everyone uses as primary coms. It's common, it's the standard.  Flagpole, Rausch, Cove, Uwharrie, Hammers, it's the common denominator for all trail rides.  It's busy, its full of high power ashhats but if you have a decent trail guide you will have a primary, secondary and tertiary channels agreed to in advance to avoid that.

2) 95% of your coms will be line of sight under a half mile to the lead or tail.  CB, FRS and low power GMRS is plenty good enough.

3) The biggest problem with CB on the trail is complicated fancy radios with too many switches, knobs or all in one mikes that the user is not intimately familiar with.  I run a 15year old Radio Shack CB with an off-on button, squelch, volume and rotary channel knob.  Works like a champ.   Get a decent antenna, dont kink the cable (3 inch radius minimum bends) and coax seal the connections (self annealing tape).  DO NOT GET A HAND HELD CB. There is no counter-poise for the antenna, your too busy in the driver seat to dig for it as it bounces around with the antenna in the wrong position for good coms.

4) If you want a secondary radio get an FRS.  Some trail guides, like me, carry a few of them to hand out to the CB'less as a backup.  They burn through batteries so carry spares.

I love Ham Radio.  It's what you need in an emergency on the trail.  Seen it save a life calling for med-evac on the Rubicon.  Its not what you want for trail rides.  Get the tech license, it a ton of fun, even more with a General and HF privileges and global capability.

John
KM4KMU

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:06:28 PM by nosigma »

VirginiaZJ "Frank, Stop. Don't come down here"
Somebody: "Is John in a predicament?"
VirginiaZJ "The front of his Jeep is facing me now"
Somebody: "Yeah, I guess that's a predicament"

Quote overhead
Thought I saw nosigma at eastern mountain sports but it turns out the guys xj had been sideswiped
PanteraPilot
Member 2018
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 06:15:40 PM »

I also have a HAM license, and I concur with Nosigma.  For the trail, a CB is the way to go.  I have a stack of them around the house but of course for a HAM, its normal to have a surplus of radios...and antennas....and cables....and boxes of other useless stuff.

...and Nosigma, please look me up at a club event.

nosigma
Member 2018
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 09:08:32 PM »

I also have a HAM license.....

See you Sunday.
John

Quote overhead
Thought I saw nosigma at eastern mountain sports but it turns out the guys xj had been sideswiped
Dynamic
Member 2018
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 12:29:00 PM »

1) You must have a CB.  This is what everyone uses as primary coms. It's common, it's the standard.  Flagpole, Rausch, Cove, Uwharrie, Hammers, it's the common denominator for all trail rides.  It's busy, its full of high power ashhats but if you have a decent trail guide you will have a primary, secondary and tertiary channels agreed to in advance to avoid that.

Probably my biggest complaint from icebreakers this last weekend, so much static and interference then on Saturday only about half our group had CBs and half of those were not tuned right including the guide who couldn't hear more than 4 vehicles back which when someone blew their power steering causing a daisy chain of repeating.

And i agree with the simple i got the basic Cobra 19 from good ole walmart.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 12:35:24 PM by Dynamic »

2011 JKU Rubicon Project "Serenity" -> SOLD
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon Serenity 2.0
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 01:21:27 PM »

Probably my biggest complaint from icebreakers this last weekend, so much static and interference then on Saturday only about half our group had CBs and half of those were not tuned right including the guide who couldn't hear more than 4 vehicles back which when someone blew their power steering causing a daisy chain of repeating.

And i agree with the simple i got the basic Cobra 19 from good ole walmart.

That's just bad planning if you ask me.  The event should be making sure their guides are squared away, trained, prepared etc.  I was at Wheeling for Hope over the weekend with 200 vehicles and didn't have any problems with a CB.  Each group had a channel and it worked great.

nosigma
Member 2018
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 05:00:04 PM »

I also have a HAM license.....

See you Sunday.
John

I wont be there Sunday.  Work calls.  Just found out this afternoon.

Maybe the S&S

Quote overhead
VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 07:34:19 AM »

Cb are cheap so that seems to be the ticket for most.  Also  since it was a gold standard  decades ago  most still use it as a primary communication device.  Old technology and I agree  static noise make them anoying. I have been exploring rugged Raqdions dual band  system, bit more expensive than the $29.00 Walmart CB, but much more capable as well.

I proposed this a while back to see if we  NOVA Jeepers club could pull together a group buy ( we have what 120 members) and see if we can get a volume discount on a full system to include antenna and small radio.  Did not seem to be much in the way of interest and the usual "everyone uses a CB and they are cheap".

Going to investigate pricing for"
25 units
50 units
100 units

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:48:23 PM by VA6489 »

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
4.5 Metal cloak
37 BFG ATs
Dynatrac, PSC, Barnes, Ried, RCV....
next?

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 12:52:56 PM »

So I talked to Joe from Rugged Radios and he passed some information.

1) They are california based and from what he is seeing  more and more Jeep clubs are going away from CB radios.  Poor recieption and limited range are their chief complaints.
2) The dual band radio they offer  transmits on either VHF or UHF. VHF is better for open terrain and UHF is better for hilly terrain.
3) the radios come programed with 40 channels  and a capacity for 200. To program  required a programing cable and working with free software to program the radio.
4)  I discussed  pricing for the jeep club if we were to do this.  
      - Joe  said that in a unit per unit  one at a time buy  he would extend a 15% discount.
      - If the club  put together a group buy of 25-50 units the discount would be bigger  ( thinking 20+%)  
      - with a larger group buy  Rugged radio will include a programing cable and link to sharware for reprograming.

The two radios sets I looked at are:

The trail rider kit with dual band radio https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1167_1170&products_id=1712
The other is the Complete Jeep starter kit with 25 watt radio and 5 watt handheld. https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1167_1334&products_id=2455

Trail rider radio is $168.00 before discount  do the math  at on a projected buy of 25 or more could be around ea $135.00 plus shipping
The Dual band 25watt Jeep Kit (2 radios) is $368.00 before discount and with a buy of 25 or more  could be around  ea $295 plus shipping.

I know a few folks that have this setup on their side by sides and they love the radio!. I have purchased a Jeep Kit set up for R3 to include the handheld as well.  I like the inclusion of the hendheld radio as it can be a spotter tool to communicate with the driver or a way to stay connected  when you leave the rig.  

Upside:  Better clear communication  with much more range than the standard CB.  set up a standard  primary , 2 or 3 alternate club frequencies to operate on.

Down side: More costly than the Walmart CB or GMRS battery powered handhelds. Outside non members would be without comms. or requre club to maintain some  CB comms for these purposes.

A thought  if the club wants to do a group buy is to work it thru one of our club supporting venders for payment options and order placement.

My radio setup will be in this comming weekend  and installed next week. I will be running both CB and Dual band VHF/UHF in two weeks.

Cheers
Rob

PS  Volunteering for the club Radio guy position if we decide to go this route.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:34:40 PM by VA6489 »

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
4.5 Metal cloak
37 BFG ATs
next?

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 01:19:05 PM »

$300 (+license to use it) is steep.  If I'm getting into dual band radios, it'll be with one of these:  http://a.co/hEUbrp0

VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 01:29:30 PM »

The trail rider kit with dual band radio https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1167_1170&products_id=1712

Is very close to what you showed.. cost is less than $80 more. bet it last a hell of a lot longer  too.  USA built radio vs a Chinese off amazon?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:32:09 PM by VA6489 »

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
4.5 Metal cloak
37 BFG ATs
next?

sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2018, 01:34:47 PM »

Is very close to what you showed.. cost is less than $80 more. bet it last a hell of a lot longer  too.  USA built radio vs a Chinese off amazon?

Baofeng is based out of South Dakota actually

https://baofengtech.com/about

Hank
Forum User
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2018, 01:36:34 PM »

Is very close to what you showed.. cost is less than $80 more. bet it last a hell of a lot longer  too.  USA built radio vs a Chinese off amazon?

It is exactly the same just different color and crazy overpriced. I have one and they work well enough. Plus programming them is stupid simple and the software is free. They donít compare to the Motorolaís I work on however they are great for personal use. But I doubt most will be interested in getting the proper license for them.

Edited: for extra words

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratty old 1995 YJ with a 2.5, AX5, 4" lift, an 33's.
VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2018, 01:40:22 PM »

$300 (+license to use it) is steep.  If I'm getting into dual band radios, it'll be with one of these:  http://a.co/hEUbrp0

Read the Q&A, lots of questions on legality

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
4.5 Metal cloak
37 BFG ATs
next?

VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2018, 01:40:53 PM »

Is very close to what you showed.. cost is less than $80 more. bet it last a hell of a lot longer  too.  USA built radio vs a Chinese off amazon?

Baofeng is based out of South Dakota actually

https://baofengtech.com/about

By bad. thanks for updating. Wonder where they are built. no mention of that on their website. that are shipped from SD.... cheap is not done  in the US industrial base, that is done overseas... give em a go see  what happens.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:50:11 PM by VA6489 »

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
4.5 Metal cloak
37 BFG ATs
next?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: