Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
May 23, 2018, 09:55:17 AM

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio  (Read 1672 times)
VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2018, 02:30:36 PM »

Quality Performance Group is now a Rugged Radio Dealer...

I believe the Big Bad Bronco is going to have a Rugged radio in it soon. 

Cheers

Cheers
RRR

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2018, 04:29:56 PM »

The trail rider kit with dual band radio https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1167_1170&products_id=1712

Is very close to what you showed.. cost is less than $80 more. bet it last a hell of a lot longer  too.  USA built radio vs a Chinese off amazon?

It is exactly the same just different color and crazy overpriced. I have one and they work well enough. Plus programming them is stupid simple and the software is free. They donít compare to the Motorolaís I work on however they are great for personal use. But I doubt most will be interested in getting the proper license for them.

Edited: for extra words

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting, chatted with RR for a bit. They make their own radios just for them. Packaging may be the same form fit function but not the same internals.  The RR trail rider comes with power cord and a mic/speaker... Mount it in the vehicle and you have a base station....just low wattage.

Couple of us are going this way will check back with feedback.  Willing to go with better clearer comms and maybe even ditch the CB eventually.

I asked how RR compares to Motorola, functionally they stack up pretty well. Motorola is water proof and bit more ruggedized due to who they support.  These Rugged radios have been used by race teams out west, King of the hammers, Baja 1000 etc.  I have a couple friends with SXS machines and they love the radio.

For those of us that wheel on a regular basis... I think this is a good way to go. As for cost, well I see a lot of rigs that have a bunch of coin in them... And rarely see a trail. The handle held is the cost of a tire to put it into prospective.

The folks at RR seam nice and are very willing to chat and answer hard questions.

Cheers

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Cheers
RRR

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
Hank
Forum User
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2018, 04:32:34 PM »

The trail rider kit with dual band radio https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1167_1170&products_id=1712

Is very close to what you showed.. cost is less than $80 more. bet it last a hell of a lot longer  too.  USA built radio vs a Chinese off amazon?

It is exactly the same just different color and crazy overpriced. I have one and they work well enough. Plus programming them is stupid simple and the software is free. They donít compare to the Motorolaís I work on however they are great for personal use. But I doubt most will be interested in getting the proper license for them.

Edited: for extra words

Interesting, chatted with RR for a bit. They make their own radios just for them. Packaging may be the same form fit function but not the same internals.  The RR trail rider comes with power cord and a mic/speaker... Mount it in the vehicle and you have a base station....just low wattage.

Couple of us are going this way will check back with feedback.  Willing to go with better clearer comms and maybe even ditch the CB eventually.

I asked how RR compares to Motorola, functionally they stack up pretty well. Motorola is water proof and bit more ruggedized due to who they support.  These Rugged radios have been used by race teams out west, King of the hammers, Baja 1000 etc.  I have a couple friends with SXS machines and they love the radio.

For those of us that wheel on a regular basis... I think this is a good way to go. As for cost, well I see a lot of rigs that have a bunch of coin in them... And rarely see a trail. The handle held is the cost of a tire to put it into prospective.

The folks at RR seam nice and are very willing to chat and answer hard questions.

Cheers

What programming software do they provide?

Ratty old 1995 YJ with a 2.5, AX5, 4" lift, an 33's.
Dynamic
Member 2018
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2018, 05:00:26 PM »

The small group i usually wheel with is split about 50/50 on race radios the biggest holdup isn't the cost its the legality.  What licenses do you need ect ect

2011 JKU Rubicon Project "Serenity" -> SOLD
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon Serenity 2.0
VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 07:06:58 AM »

The small group i usually wheel with is split about 50/50 on race radios the biggest holdup isn't the cost its the legality.  What licenses do you need ect ect

Will let you know soon.  Radios inbound this week.  I will contact  RR and see if they can  advise.

Stay tuned...

Cheers

Cheers
RRR

VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2018, 12:56:43 PM »

The small group i usually wheel with is split about 50/50 on race radios the biggest holdup isn't the cost its the legality.  What licenses do you need ect ect

Dynamic,
Just off the phone with Rugged Radios, here is the scoop:

Dual band radio,

- VHF side falls into FCC part 90 for mobile radio. The VHF side requires no license. Freq band is from 150-174 mHz, below this falls into the HAM radio and requirtes a license. If you operate in VHF only  no license is required.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=f53cc5a928acfec24334e5753c3a3c13&mc=true&node=pt47.1.1&rgn=div5#se47.1.1_1913

(4) FCC Form 605, Quick-form Application for Authorization for Wireless Radio Services. FCC Form 605 is used to apply for Amateur, Ship, Aircraft, and General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) authorizations, as well as Commercial Radio Operator Licenses.

- UHF falls into the GMRS  catagory and requires a license. this costs $75.00 and is good for 10 years.  It covers a family ( small number 5 or so ) so it could be use in small groups designated as a "family".  https://www.fcc.gov/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

I have purchased a Jeep kit from Rugged Radios  that comes with a hand held and vehicle mounted unit with antenna and cable.  If your "small group" is interested in going down this path, please contact Quality Performance Group our club vendor and order thru Colin. I am pretty sure He can support you with a decent discount. Remember he has to make somethign on the sale to stay in business.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:38:20 AM by VA6489 »

Cheers
RRR

Hank
Forum User
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2018, 01:23:53 PM »

Dynamic,
Just off the phone with Rugged Radios, here is the scoop:

Dual band radio,

- VHF side falls into FCC part 90 for mobile radio. The side requires no license. Freque band is from 150-174 mHz, below this falls into teh HAM radio and requirtes a license If you operate in VHF only  no license is required.

- UHF falls into the GMRS  catagory and requires a license. this costs $75.00 and is good for 10 years.  It covers a family ( small number 5 or so ) so it could be use in small groups designated as a "family".  https://www.fcc.gov/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

The VHF is MURS and itís limited to 2 Watts. The UHF is GMRS it is nice you are allowed a lot more power for Mobile is allowed more power in some cases up to 50 watts but you have to have a license. To compare CB is allowed 4 watts I believe. Also, if itís programmable yourself that changes the legality of being used on those as well. Youíd have to make sure you are using only the MURS frequencies. 150-174 MHz is considered the buisness band and MURS is an extremely small portion of that.

VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2018, 06:57:30 AM »

Will continue to  drill down into the licensing  issue. It would apear that this is not an expensive route to go. Navigating the  FCC website requires some time and understanding... 

The info presented  was direct from  Rugged Radios and they also passed that the rules on this are"changing rather quickly"  that might be why the FCC webpage is so difficult to apply to this particular radio set.

More to follow.

Cheers
RRR

Hank
Forum User
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2018, 07:20:32 AM »

The GMRS stuff has changed a bit recently. So I am a little more vague on that. The MURS has stayed the same though. 150-174 will not likely change. Thatís what the Gov and Buisness use for VHF so they arenít going to screw with that. Source for this educated guess: I work radio for the Gov. It would cost boatloads of money to have to reprogram everything let alone if radios need to be replaced. Heck there are groups that are not narrow band still. And thatís been going on since the 90s I believe. It started before my time in radio.

sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2018, 08:11:59 AM »

I brought up MURS awhile ago and kind of got poo pooed, but it seems like that is the way to go here....

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
Dynamic
Member 2018
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2018, 09:10:28 AM »

This has gone as i expected  Laughing   I find a bunch of info like you posted then get knocked down by a bunch of technicality counter information. 

2011 JKU Rubicon Project "Serenity" -> SOLD
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon Serenity 2.0
VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2018, 09:36:48 AM »

Tried to apply for a license but software at work blocked the content.
process

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/narli/radioservice.jsp?action=
actionNew

I used the PW  radio code which covered the freq bands for VHF/UHF for the radio set from Rugged.  Fee  is assest when application is complete, so I can't pass  cost data along.

Accoding to the company  FCC Part 90 Mobile Radio is where this lives. Looking thru the application process  to cover  150-174 and 450-470mHz  (VHF/UHF) , the code is PW for Private land Mobile Services Public safety .  It doesn't referre to any restritiction to government use or minipality use ( Police /fire/rescue)  so I am thinking that this is for public use and applies to teh dual band radio. I am not calling out or wishing to start a unrinary olympiad  just passing information I have found on the regulatory website. 

The on-line process looks to be realitivly straight forward and for the most part self guided with  links to additional needed information.  I the two bands listed are for "avaliable nation wide" according to the ULC website information.
Regerstered for a  FCC RN number in about 2 minutes. Trying to continue from there is a software  lack of capability on my work computer stopage.

When the left coast wakes up I wil again toggle them for more information on licensing and pass what I have found and see how it allpies to their equipment and our use. This sounds like a complicated matter  but with all things out of the normal  it just requires a level of understanding.

Legally you have to register the radio set. As a club I would  think that the club position is to be legal if this become a club  supported issue or equipment.  I am workign thru the process and will report back with information and updates as I get them.

Cheers

Cheers
RRR

unleashd
Member 2018
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2018, 10:37:40 AM »

'ZA' is the code for GMRS application. Cost is $75 for a 10 year license. No testing required. Just apply, pay the fee and you shall receive the license in a few days.

KN4MAT
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport
VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2018, 11:01:11 AM »

More to my last and to address some question  from Hank.

VHF programed  freqs  for the 40 channels are  a range 150-160 skipping over the MURS freqs.

UHF  programed  freqs  for the 40 channels affored are a range 462-467  (in the GMRS range) Code ZA

On the ULS  website (FCC on-line) the radio set  ( dual band ) can be registered  under Private Land Mobile services   FCC Moble radio part 90.  This covers both bands.

1) To register on-line you need an FRN  ( FCC Registery Number)  https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do  Process take about 2 minutes on line.
2) Once you have a FRN you need to apply for a license https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp
3) once logged in, https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/wireless-services#block-menu-block-4 , select a radio service  Private Land mobile services  part 90 covers the range of freqs in the radio in both bands.  Code PW
4) from here  select PW from the drop down list and follow  the on-line  promots.

Notes,

- If you never plan to use  VHF  (Open country and on road) no need to register  the VHF side
- If you only plan to use the UHF side  (better for hill terrian) you can register as GMRS ( according to Rugged Radios)

That is the best I can do for information on this subject.   from what I have read and what I am hearing  more and more Jeep clubs are  moving in this direction. The biggest movment is out west obviously as that is where the company is located.  As for our club I know that OSE and myself are going to install  this setup I will have a handheld   in addition to a vehicle mounted unit, OSE will have a handheld  mounted in his rig.

I have been a big believer in CB radios for many decades. I have found that  CH9 is not monitored  much anymore and REACT stations are far and few  in-between.  Police, least teh ones I talk with  mostly do not monitor the CB if it is even installed.  On the road  while there are many trucker still using this there as many not using CB as forms of communication.

trail rides  the selcted channels have bleed over from amped up  operators, squelch has to be turned up to almost max to control noise.   Tuning... slap a antenna on  and go..... performance sucketh! Clarity of communcation  is another issue analogue coms.  Replace and remove the CB?  I don't think so  YET.  I will run both  for now as the Cobra is a hide away install.  

I have done some  digging and this is what I am finding between the manufacturer and the FCC website.

Ethan or Joe is who I have been dealing with at Rugged Radios  (888) 541-7223 is their number.  they are interrest in working a group buy that will include a heft discount.  Our Local Rep Quality Performance is also interested in assisiting in a group buy.  I realize with a club  as large as ours  that there will be 10% that are interested in somethign like this.

Cheers
Rob.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:02:42 AM by VA6489 »

Cheers
RRR

VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2018, 06:18:53 PM »

The radios arrived today.  Attached are a couple of snaps. Handheld radio is 2 inch wide by 4 inch long by a 1 inch deep.

Vehicle unit is 4x4x1.5. can be mounted atop The dash in the cubbie and still be able to.use the cubbie.
Alternate is to the passenger side of the gearshift on the lower dash.

Haven't decided yet.

Cheers
RRR

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: