Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
May 27, 2018, 08:14:43 PM

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio  (Read 1945 times)
Dynamic
Member 2018
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2018, 07:32:09 PM »

Looks good !  I really appreciate all the research and efforts you have put in.  Will you be at the S&S Saturday? i do wanna see these in person  Grab a Wrench!

2011 JKU Rubicon Project "Serenity" -> SOLD
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon Serenity 2.0
JK_HVGC
Committee: Vendor
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2018, 09:06:19 PM »

So we actually use all the rugged products during KOH.  They are primary comms.  I run the radio relay for the race team.

They work great in open terrain like the desert.  We set up a 50 ft mast for race day and can talk to the race car at 30 miles + as the crow flies.

The higher frequency spectrum loses it's advantage in hilly terrain.  The higher you go in the frequency spectrum, the more line of site your comms become.  The lower end of the spectrum works well in hilly terrain as the signal will bounce along the ground. 

Most planes use UHF, line of sight, because of how high they are. 

Long story short, I wouldnt invest in VHF out east.  The terrain isn't conducive with the amount of power pushed. 

If we lived in Cali, then this would be the way to go.

Jeremy

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

-Fortune Favors the Bold
-If he needs one round of WP, then he needs one round of HE. If we're sending one round of HE, we might as well send 4, fire for effect.
nosigma
Forum User
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2018, 12:43:35 AM »

The snake oil runneth deep.

John

VirginiaZJ "Frank, Stop. Don't come down here"
Somebody: "Is John in a predicament?"
VirginiaZJ "The front of his Jeep is facing me now"
Somebody: "Yeah, I guess that's a predicament"

Quote overhead
Thought I saw nosigma at eastern mountain sports but it turns out the guys xj had been sideswiped
VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2018, 01:31:31 PM »

Looks good !  I really appreciate all the research and efforts you have put in.  Will you be at the S&S Saturday? i do wanna see these in person  Grab a Wrench!

I have to bow out of the S&S, I have  obligations in Suffolk Va that weekend now.  Be happy to catch you up next week after work and we can  talk Jeep $hit and Radios.

Cheers

Mounting  the antenna and radio  tonight.

Cheers
RRR

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2018, 01:33:14 PM »

So we actually use all the rugged products during KOH.  They are primary comms.  I run the radio relay for the race team.

They work great in open terrain like the desert.  We set up a 50 ft mast for race day and can talk to the race car at 30 miles + as the crow flies.

The higher frequency spectrum loses it's advantage in hilly terrain.  The higher you go in the frequency spectrum, the more line of site your comms become.  The lower end of the spectrum works well in hilly terrain as the signal will bounce along the ground. 

Most planes use UHF, line of sight, because of how high they are. 

Long story short, I wouldnt invest in VHF out east.  The terrain isn't conducive with the amount of power pushed. 

If we lived in Cali, then this would be the way to go.

Jeremy

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

KOH  feedback! love it!  Thanks Jeremy.

Cheers
RRR

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
PanteraPilot
Member 2018
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2018, 05:41:44 PM »

The snake oil runneth deep.

John

Smile Smile Smile

VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2018, 06:13:49 AM »

I run into this all the time  in my position at work. A new Idea is heresey and Old  is comfortable  no matter what becuase we  1) understand it and 2)are comfortable using it.

All I have to say is  Mr. Ford the model T is outdated and being surpassed by better technology. It is time to move on and retire the model T.

Good Discussions both pro and con and yes the sarcastic too.

Cheers
RRR

VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2018, 08:03:20 PM »

Dynamic,
Travel plans changed, see you at the S&S. Radio is temp installed. with handheld.

Rob.

Cheers
RRR

nosigma
Forum User
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2018, 08:09:07 PM »

Get a CB or be very lonely listening to static.

John

Quote overhead
Thought I saw nosigma at eastern mountain sports but it turns out the guys xj had been sideswiped
VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2018, 06:41:17 AM »

Get a CB or be very lonely listening to static.

John

Who says  thre will not be others???  Had some great feedback  from the S&S.  Run with a coulpe guys that already have units....

As to analogue technology... yes I have one installed right next to the new dual band...  and I know this is something that the old jeep may not have,   a Radio... so music  abounds. LOL.

Cheers
RRR

Dynamic
Member 2018
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2018, 07:01:20 AM »

Get a CB and be very lonely listening to static.

John

Fixed that For you  Laughing
Atleast thats been my experience with 2 flagpole / 1 PetersMill  & 1 CoveBigDogs Event this year
In Fact our guide @ BD could only hear 3 vehicles back so we had to daisy chain all day and that was spotty at best

I have a CB its been tuned to a  1/1 By AutoOutfitters in Manassas and still its Spotty because what 15% bothered to tune them correctly?  I even started carrying my SWR meeting in my bag and trying to help others tune theres as well.I will be adding a RuggedRadio To my setup cause More communication never hurt anyone.  And even if only my core group of friends opt-in its hands down worth it, but I go into this knowing others I am interested in wheeling with also intend to do it. 

2011 JKU Rubicon Project "Serenity" -> SOLD
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon Serenity 2.0
VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2018, 12:00:23 PM »

Get a CB and be very lonely listening to static.

John

Fixed that For you  Laughing
Atleast thats been my experience with 2 flagpole / 1 PetersMill  & 1 CoveBigDogs Event this year
In Fact our guide @ BD could only hear 3 vehicles back so we had to daisy chain all day and that was spotty at best

I have a CB its been tuned to a  1/1 By AutoOutfitters in Manassas and still its Spotty because what 15% bothered to tune them correctly?  I even started carrying my SWR meeting in my bag and trying to help others tune theres as well.I will be adding a RuggedRadio To my setup cause More communication never hurt anyone.  And even if only my core group of friends opt-in its hands down worth it, but I go into this knowing others I am interested in wheeling with also intend to do it. 

Good to hear  Cheers

Some will  join  the movement Thumbs Up

Some will watch... Dunno?

and some will try to  shovel  fertilizer on it.  Duh

For me clear  dependable comms  is worth it.  The advantages to Citizen Band other than dirt cheap don't seem to be there.

Cheers

Cheers
RRR

nosigma
Forum User
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2018, 10:14:34 PM »

Some will  join  the movement, dont forget to flush

Fixed it for you.

Quote overhead
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2018, 05:33:14 AM »

Wow. Radios are a passionate topic.

Please remember to keep it friendly folks.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2018, 06:35:37 AM »

Morning,

I tried to present corect information, did the research for licensing and present the links to that information.   This is a movement on the west coast in the Jeep clubs according to the Company.  One of our own a KoH racer  uses this  equipment and presented his views.  I personally am always looking to improve things, and look for better ways.  I have used this set up  with folks that are not assiciated with this club and was very happy with the clarity of communications it has presented.  I know that several members in this club are going this way.   I did a show and tell at the Show and Shine and from that a few members decided that they too would like to go down this route.  We have a supporting vendor  that has picked up tis line as well.

I also realize that there are those who will  play the part of the Negitive Nancy, I apologize for feeding that line of thinking.

At the end of the day we have a lot of members. So  are show and shine  vehicles, some are  Street rigs affectionatly known as mall crawlers and some are  on the trail wheelers. Effective  clear communications doesn't apply to all these  sub groups.

Again I apologize for the  negitive turn this thread has taken.

if anyone would like more information  pleae contact  Qualtiy Performance our vender or myself  and I will be happy to answer any question you may have.

R3

Cheers
RRR

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: