Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 12, 2018, 05:06:16 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rust fix help needed  (Read 610 times)
unleashd
Member 2018
« on: April 16, 2018, 10:37:36 AM »

There are a couple of rust spots on my TJ that IMO need quick attention before they get worse. The one spot on my driver side front fender is almost rusted through. The two other smaller spots are on the tail gate hinges which might be even be just paint flaking off and not rust as the hinges themselves look like alloys. Picture below for reference.

I have zero experience with fixing rust and would appreciate if someone in this group can help with fixing these. I do not mind getting my hands dirty and do the work under close supervision Smile Repayment will be in cash / kind as suitable  Thumbs Up I saw a couple of replacement fenders on CL, but I am not sure if the $$$ warrant a full replacement.

Don't mind the ding/dent at the bottom right. Jeeps in the wild do get some boo-boos  Twisted Evil Laughing Mr. Green

KN4MAT
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 10:42:29 AM »

That's a pretty common spot to get rust on the fenders, you should be able to find some take offs pretty cheap.  IMO it's not worth the trouble to fix it.

Same for the rear hinges, talk to someone parting out a Jeep and just get new ones.  Having a larger tire you might also want to consider getting a HD tailgate hinge.  https://www.retrofitoffroad.com/product-category/morryde-jeep-tj-heavy-duty-tailgate-hinges/

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 10:47:53 AM »

The fenders will be a pain to fix with any type of long term positive results.  That is the classic spot where they rust.  They also rust about halfway down the fender where the hood intersects them.  The rust will come back out again on those - no matter how it is done, it will only be temporary.  IMHO you should be looking for new fenders at this point if you want it to be gone.  Mine are doing the same thing, just not as bad yet.

The hinges are corroding because water has gotten under the paint and bubbled it loose.  The hinges are aluminum with steel pins.  Those could be removed and repainted if you wish to.  The screws can sometimes be hard to remove.  Soak with good oil a few days before you try to remove them.  A lot of people just paint them black after cleaning them up.  You could also just find used ones (cheap) or replace with new ones.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
unleashd
Member 2018
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 10:52:34 AM »

That's a pretty common spot to get rust on the fenders, you should be able to find some take offs pretty cheap.  IMO it's not worth the trouble to fix it.

Same for the rear hinges, talk to someone parting out a Jeep and just get new ones.  Having a larger tire you might also want to consider getting a HD tailgate hinge.  https://www.retrofitoffroad.com/product-category/morryde-jeep-tj-heavy-duty-tailgate-hinges/

Guess, I'll just find a replacement fender Smile At some point I'm going to relocate the spare tire from the tailgate to a bumper mounted rack. So, I'll keep these tailgate hinges and repaint them as Frank has suggested.

KN4MAT
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 11:00:52 AM »

When you do replace the fender, allow yourself way more time than you think you might need.  Start in the morning.  The bolts have a habit of breaking off and so do the smaller ones on the fender flares.  You may wish to buy a complete replacement set for the fender and flare before you start.  Or, at least know what size they are and who has them (Lowes, HD, Ace, etc.).  Spray them with penetrating oil before you start, a few days in advance.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 11:27:49 AM »

I would put a set of corners on it and cover the damage as well as prevent more. I would also fix that little sport on the front fender to kill the rust. Then put a set of covers on it or bedliner the top of the fenders.

HighlanderCJ-7
unleashd
Member 2018
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 11:48:43 AM »

Thanks for the tips!!

KN4MAT
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport
all4jpn
Forum User
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »

When u get new fenders, buy a tube of seam sealer and go to town on the underside where jeep should have

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: