Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
June 18, 2018, 12:20:55 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here we go again...  (Read 622 times)
Runner
Member 2018
« on: April 29, 2018, 10:20:17 PM »

I picked this up a few weeks ago from the original owner and was on the fence about what to do with it.  After looking at my options, I've decided to build it, and pull the '99 apart and use most of the parts I can from it.  The build officially started this weekend.

2003 Rubicon 200K (With Full Service Records)
- Automatic (New Transmission )
- Cruise Control
- Soft Top
- Half Doors
- Powered Sub-woofer

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:25:28 PM by Runner »

2004 Wrangler Unlimited - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 10:45:46 PM »

I cleaned up the surface rust on the frame and painted the section from the rear control arms forward.  In case anyone wonders how long this takes, I spent 4 hours on each side.  This included removing the front springs, shocks, and inner fender liner.  It took 2 cans of Rustoleum Rust Reformer and 4 cans of Satin Black. The inner frame will get treated later on.

I also completed the following:

- Replaced a rusted windshield frame (This was an odd one, because the windshield frame base was completely gone from rust.)
- Fel Pro rear main seal (I also pulled bearing caps and they looked great!)
- Melling oil pump
- Spectra Premium oil pan
- Mopar oil filter and synthetic oil
- ATF +4 fluid in 241 transfer case
- Purolator air filter
- Cleaned and painted the stock skids, but they'll be replaced when I do the tummy tuck
- Bilstein shocks

Before

After

2004 Wrangler Unlimited - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 04:09:29 AM »

Why did you go with Rustoleum rattle cans for the frame as opposed to something like POR?  Ease of application, less mess, cheaper?  I'll be doing this to mine shortly and have always figured I would go POR, but if this is equally effective long-term then maybe I'll reconsider...

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 07:56:47 AM »

Why did you go with Rustoleum rattle cans for the frame as opposed to something like POR?  Ease of application, less mess, cheaper?  I'll be doing this to mine shortly and have always figured I would go POR, but if this is equally effective long-term then maybe I'll reconsider...

It kind of depends on the frame condition which path to take.  For me, I've used POR in the past, but generally on frames that are either in really bad shape or I want a show quality finish.  If the frame consists of more surface rust, then I just take the path of Rust Reformer and coat that with a good Rustoleum or Krylon Satin.  I've done this on multiple Jeeps over the last decade with great success. 

Also, since I like to use the Jeeps for their intended purpose, I tend to be a bit more anal about upkeep.  Generally, I power wash and re-coat the frame and underside at least once a year.  In terms of cost, I can easily coat the entire underside for less than $60.  That works out to be four (4) cans of Rust Reformer, at about $6 each, and six (6) cans of Krylon Satin, at about $5 each.  Plus, application is much easier this way.  With POR you have to be much more careful about preparation, spray it with a gun, then do cleanup work.  Or, you take the easy route and buy cheap spray guns from Harbor Freight and throw them away.  Either way, the cost with POR is much more.   

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 09:21:43 AM »

It kind of depends on the frame condition which path to take.  For me, I've used POR in the past, but generally on frames that are either in really bad shape or I want a show quality finish.  If the frame consists of more surface rust, then I just take the path of Rust Reformer and coat that with a good Rustoleum or Krylon Satin.  I've done this on multiple Jeeps over the last decade with great success. 

Also, since I like to use the Jeeps for their intended purpose, I tend to be a bit more anal about upkeep.  Generally, I power wash and re-coat the frame and underside at least once a year.  In terms of cost, I can easily coat the entire underside for less than $60.  That works out to be four (4) cans of Rust Reformer, at about $6 each, and six (6) cans of Krylon Satin, at about $5 each.  Plus, application is much easier this way.  With POR you have to be much more careful about preparation, spray it with a gun, then do cleanup work.  Or, you take the easy route and buy cheap spray guns from Harbor Freight and throw them away.  Either way, the cost with POR is much more.   

Good points.  I know the prep work in general for POR is pretty labor-intensive too, so it's nice to hear that this is an effective option.  From the one pic you posted of your frame before coating, my frame looks like it's in very similar condition so I may go this route instead.  Good to know that this has stood the test of time for you.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 10:30:05 AM »

Good points.  I know the prep work in general for POR is pretty labor-intensive too, so it's nice to hear that this is an effective option.  From the one pic you posted of your frame before coating, my frame looks like it's in very similar condition so I may go this route instead.  Good to know that this has stood the test of time for you.

One important point I left out.  This process only takes care of the outside.  For the inside, use Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating.  I typically use two cans per side.  Preparation is really important here.  Thoroughly rinse out all the debris with a hose, let that dry, then blow it out with compressed air.  Once that's done, you can then coat the inside with Eastwood's product.  If done correctly, the internal coating doesn't have to be done again for years.  However, you do still want to keep the mud and debris clear.  Below is a link to Eastwood.

https://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-14-oz-w-spray-nozzle.html  

Cheers  

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 03:57:39 PM »

Good points.  I know the prep work in general for POR is pretty labor-intensive too, so it's nice to hear that this is an effective option.  From the one pic you posted of your frame before coating, my frame looks like it's in very similar condition so I may go this route instead.  Good to know that this has stood the test of time for you.

One important point I left out.  This process only takes care of the outside.  For the inside, use Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating.  I typically use two cans per side.  Preparation is really important here.  Thoroughly rinse out all the debris with a hose, let that dry, then blow it out with compressed air.  Once that's done, you can then coat the inside with Eastwood's product.  If done correctly, the internal coating doesn't have to be done again for years.  However, you do still want to keep the mud and debris clear.  Below is a link to Eastwood.

Cheers  

Thanks! This kit has been on my Amazon to-buy list for months now.  Hose is supposed to be a pain to work with...? But it looked like a pretty decent product to me.  Seems like the TJ frames are worth preserving nowadays.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 06:51:43 PM »

Cheers  

Thanks! This kit has been on my Amazon to-buy list for months now.  Hose is supposed to be a pain to work with...? But it looked like a pretty decent product to me.  Seems like the TJ frames are worth preserving nowadays.

That hose ........  i now have the window on one of my half doors splattered with the paint. And the floor and walls of the garage. Repainted those after the frame swap project but could not figure how to get it off of the window. Oh well.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
Gogged
Member 2018
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 08:32:44 PM »

Hey Rich, looking forward to watching this, so you parted out the red "kids" jeep not the blue LJ right?

'06 TJ Sport 3" lift, 33"s.... will be selling in the spring for a JL

I hate rusty bolts!
Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 08:55:00 PM »

Hey Rich, looking forward to watching this, so you parted out the red "kids" jeep not the blue LJ right?

The red one will go.  The blue one will stay with me.   Smile 

Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 09:18:48 PM »

Made some progress this weekend.  Replaced the following:

- Radiator & Cap
- Radiator Hoses
- Heater Core Hoses
- Water Pump, Inlet Tube, & Gasket
- Temperature Sender
- Thermostat Housing, Thermostat, and Gasket
- Tensioner & Idler Pulley
- Fan Clutch
- Serpentine Belt
- Coil Pack & Spark Plugs
- Valve Cover Gasket & Grommets, & PCVs

As usual, in the process I treated and painted all rusted parts.

Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 01:40:45 AM »

- ZJ Steering upgrade swapped in
 - Revolution axles installed up front with new inner seals and outer RCV axle tube seals
 - New hub bearings
 - New rotors and pads on all four corners
 - Metalcloak differential covers installed 

Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 06:04:03 AM »

I had non-functional fog lights and discovered that the PO had removed the relay.  Apparently, this was because the fog lights would stay on even when the vehicle and lights were off.  Fortunately, I had a new multi-function switch in the parts stash.  I installed that, along with:

- LED bulbs in the tail lights (Brake & Backup)
- GCD-TJ0106 LED flasher relay (to address the hyper flashing due to the new LED bulbs).
- New HVAC control unit (With LED white bulb replacement)
- Red LED bulbs in the gauge cluster

Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 07:43:09 AM »

This past weekend saw the following work:

- Brown Dog MML
- 1.25" Body Lift (Setting up for the Savvy Under Armor system)
- New Delphi fuel pump
- Savvy Gas Tank Skid
- LOD rear bumper, with backup lights
- MORryde HD TJ Wrangler Tailgate Complete Reinforcement Kit- JP54-022
- Sony Stereo (W/Amplifier) and Polk Speaker upgrade
- A/C system charge 

Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 09:21:48 PM »

This past weekend I was able to get the Metalcloak lift and some of the Savvy body armor installed.

Before

After

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: