Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
August 15, 2018, 01:16:51 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to go to get a 7 pin harness installed?  (Read 783 times)
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« on: May 02, 2018, 04:13:07 PM »

I donít want to mess with the electricals in the truck right now and need to get a harness installed so I can use the truck to tow stuff. Where should I go?  I am in Ashburn, so closer to that is good.

U-Haul?  Tractor Supply?  There used to be a Truck-n-America near me but no longer.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 05:44:41 PM »

Avoid trailers plus in Warrenton until at least i get my issue fixed.

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
PanteraPilot
Member 2018
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 06:35:02 PM »

I don't have any experience with them, but these guys sell and service more than campers.  They're on 28 right next door to Lindsay Jeep.

http://www.restlesswheelsrvs.com

I was assuming you were thinking of a 7 pin connector with a brake controller, but if you are looking for  a 4 pin connector, there's an easy solution.  These just plug into your existing wiring harness behind your license plate. (I think you said you had a 1989).

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Ford/F-150,+F-250,+F-350/1989/118316.html?vehicleid=19891172125

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 06:37:53 PM »

I don't have any experience with them, but these guys sell and service more than campers.  They're on 28 right next door to Lindsay Jeep.

http://www.restlesswheelsrvs.com

I was assuming you were thinking of a 7 pin connector with a brake controller, but if you are looking for  a 4 pin connector, there's an easy solution.  These just plug into your existing wiring harness behind your license plate. (I think you said you had a 1989).

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Ford/F-150,+F-250,+F-350/1989/118316.html?vehicleid=19891172125

Thanks. And yes, looking for the 7 pin. I looked into the four pin that just plugs into the existing harness, but pulling a car trailer, I want to be able to use one that needs the 7 pin.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 07:03:09 AM »

I second Restless Wheels!  It's also nice to just walk around in there to look at all the gadgets and parts.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
jwilson2598
Webmaster
BOD
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 07:30:00 PM »

A second option is the 4wire harness and then the 4 to 7 plug that makes it into the 7 wire you need. Basically the lighting art is all plug and play, and then you run the battery and brake controller wires on your own. Pretty easy to do since youíre not messing with the lighting part.

Youíll want the harness PanteraPilot mentioned, plus this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/37185.html

I also have an old school Tekonsha Voyager brake controller laying in my garage not being used if you want it. Itís not as nice and cool as the P2 or P3, so my feelings wonít be hurt if you donít, lol.

Jeff

2013 Unlimited Sahara, Gecko Green
AEV 2.5" lift, front/rear bumpers, hood, Argent Pintler wheels, 315/70/17 Duratracs.
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 02:35:07 PM »

A second option is the 4wire harness and then the 4 to 7 plug that makes it into the 7 wire you need. Basically the lighting art is all plug and play, and then you run the battery and brake controller wires on your own. Pretty easy to do since youíre not messing with the lighting part.

Youíll want the harness PanteraPilot mentioned, plus this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/37185.html

I also have an old school Tekonsha Voyager brake controller laying in my garage not being used if you want it. Itís not as nice and cool as the P2 or P3, so my feelings wonít be hurt if you donít, lol.

I think I will be going this route. I will see about the brake controller. I know nothing about this trailering stuff. So it is a learning experience for sure. Bothe of my previous ford trucks came pre equipped with the 7 pin set up. This truck had it, but a PO removed the harness. And I donít know what (if anything) was left.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 01:27:54 PM »

So this is what a PO left when he/she removed the trailer wiring that was there.

I am going to test the four lower ones as I think they are the lights. Should be easy enough to test. The other three at the top may be for the brake controller. Not sure how to test that theory. Of course, I could just ignore the lower four and install that nice 4 pin plug with the T connector that was linked above as I see the wire connection in the pic.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 01:49:33 PM »

I just ordered the 4 pin as well as the 7 pin adapter.  Thanks everyone.  Now to get it in and installed before the S&S so I can drag the teeter Totter to the fairgrounds.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

PanteraPilot
Member 2018
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 05:00:48 PM »

I just ordered the 4 pin as well as the 7 pin adapter.  Thanks everyone.  Now to get it in and installed before the S&S so I can drag the teeter Totter to the fairgrounds.

Did you get a trailer?  I must have missed that.

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »

Did you get a trailer?  I must have missed that.

No trailer at this point. But will be borrowing/renting as needed for a bit. Like when I go to Camp Heep and when I go to pick up a certain 3a (crossing fingers)

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: