Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
May 23, 2018, 09:51:11 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Firecracker Red JLU Rubicon Build  (Read 210 times)
JKrazy
Member 2018
« on: May 16, 2018, 09:40:34 PM »

Purchased on 5/14; 3.6 V6 engine, 8 speed automatic trans.  Packages/options include the LED lighting group, cold weather group, electronic infotainment group, steel bumper group (need to replace the hideous rear bumper) and the tow group with HD electrical group.  It also has remote start.

Soon I will be ordering my lift, most likely the 2 inch Mopar lift; 35s or 37s; spacers if I use my factory wheels and rails/sliders with a step so myself and the wife can climb into my rig after the lift and larger tires are installed, LOL. 

IMG_0302 by Donnie's Pix, on Flickr

IMG_0308 by Donnie's Pix, on Flickr

Mods, they never end.  My rig needs a sponsor!  Smile
JKrazy
Member 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 09:42:46 PM »

First mod was a free mod, the best type of mod.  I removed the bumper end caps today.

IMG_0312 by Donnie's Pix, on Flickr

IMG_0311 by Donnie's Pix, on Flickr

VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 01:26:53 PM »

Sweet Rig.

Cheers
RRR

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
JKrazy
Member 2018
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 01:56:01 PM »

Sweet Rig.

Thanks Rob!

VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 12:03:01 PM »

If you are going  wheelin, look at Rock Slide engineering  for your side steps.  I can atest they work and save the bodywork.  Toughest thing on the install is find a place for the override switch. Look forward to seeing it at rausch this summer.

Cheers
RRR

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
JKrazy
Member 2018
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 12:50:47 PM »

35s have been ordered!  (Thanks Ken!)  315/70/R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pros!  As long as they're in by Friday, they will be installed Saturday morning along with my Spidertrax wheel spacers.  Can't wait!  I will post pics.

FYI, still haven't decided on a lift yet.  Debating between the Mopar lift and a Metal Cloak lift.

sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 12:54:33 PM »

35s have been ordered!  (Thanks Ken!)  315/70/R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pros!  As long as they're in by Friday, they will be installed Saturday morning along with my Spidertrax wheel spacers.  Can't wait!  I will post pics.

FYI, still haven't decided on a lift yet.  Debating between the Mopar lift and a Metal Cloak lift.

Is that really a debate?  MC all day in that head to head.

Also, probably gonna wish you had 37s once the lift goes on, have a feeling 37s will be the new 35s once the JLs get popular.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
z4iken
Club Member at Large
2016 JK
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 12:58:41 PM »

Also, probably gonna wish you had 37s once the lift goes on, have a feeling 37s will be the new 35s once the JLs get popular.

x2. Donny, get 37s or get 35s and don't get the lift

The Jeremy Theorem: Just buy 35's the first time
The Bill Corrolary: Bill is always technically right
overhead
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 01:17:59 PM »

40s on a 2in lift.... god I love these things

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
JKrazy
Member 2018
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 03:29:48 PM »

I can always sell my 35s if I want to get 37s.  Iíd like to make sure no one is having issues with 37s on their rig before I upgrade.  I want to see how the axles hold up, if people feel they need to regear or if they need a larger lift or flat fenders to make up for the lack of fender gap.  Videos Iíve seen people are rubbing fenders and other parts of their rig.  I donít want to risk doing drive train damage to my $$$$$$ Rig yet.  Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JKrazy
Member 2018
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 03:30:34 PM »

I can always sell my 35s if I want to get 37s.  Iíd like to make sure no one is having issues with 37s on their rig before I upgrade.  I want to see how the axles hold up, if people feel they need to regear or if they need a larger lift or flat fenders to make up for the lack of fender gap.  Videos Iíve seen people are rubbing fenders and other parts of their rig.  I donít want to risk doing drive train damage to my $$$$$$ Rig yet.  Haha

Iím definitely leaning towards the MC lift, but not an expensive one.

VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #11 on: Today at 06:55:57 AM »

Iím definitely leaning towards the MC lift, but not an expensive one.

JLrazy,  did the research before  selecting my lift.  there are more expensive  lifts and cheaper, the technology and design/engineering  I zeroed in on Metal Cloak.  You have seen how mine  works and the daily ride is  excellent.  Few things I would not go cheap on  1) suspension, buy all that you budget can afford to make your end goal.  You have a goal to your build  yes? 2) brakes.... 'nough said 3) safety equipment yes you only use it once....

My thinking on the lift was simple  ground clearance under the rig. I knew I wanted to go  crawling so clearance under my rig was the primary driver. Next was engineering and articulation.  From there  my end goal was always 37 inch tires for the same reason, ground clearance.  My rig still get a respectiful 18-19.4 mpg on a trip and 14-16mpg in town.  If you are on 4.10s  35 inch tires will be ok if you go bigger fine the right tire and match the gearing to it. My mistake was thinkign  BFG were actually the size they state....

Congrats on the new rig look forward to  wheelin with you again.

Cheers
RRR

JKrazy
Member 2018
« Reply #12 on: Today at 07:56:34 AM »

Thanks Rob, definitely looking forward to wheeling with you soon again.

By "cheaper" I meant not one of MC's long arm suspensions that are 3K+.  I'll still be spending $1500+.  Big brakes were going to be one of my first upgrades (loved my TeraFlex big brake kits on my JK) but thankfully the new Rubicons already come with big brake kits.  My goal to my build is to have a better lift than I did on my JK (MC > TeraFlex) and hopefully another inch or two of clearance.  And of course additional skid plates are in my future, as well as LoD sliders.  I won't be welding them on this time since the JL sliders are now bolt on & you only have to drill one hole.   Thumbs Up

Can't wait to have my bigger shoes this weekend and hopefully installing a lift in the next couple weeks!

Cheers

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: