Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
August 16, 2018, 06:46:22 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diff covers with preload adjusters?  (Read 196 times)
Davetopay
« on: May 23, 2018, 08:25:03 AM »

Has anyone seen these in the off road market? When I had my Mustangs, if you were drag racing and building the 8.8, it was common to use a heavy duty diff cover which included a preload adjusting screw over each carrier bearing cap so you could prevent deflection when you dropped the clutch on sticky tires. I am rather surprised we don't see these on the off road targeted diff covers.

Anyone have any info as to why? Dunno?

I think I saw a thing, but I don't know what thing I thought I saw.
majestek12
Forum User
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 10:37:54 AM »

The only 8.8 covers I've seen with preload adjusters are aluminum. Good for racing, bad for rocks. Never seen a cast, nodular, or "rock friendly" cover with supports.

Davetopay
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 11:10:27 AM »

The only 8.8 covers I've seen with preload adjusters are aluminum. Good for racing, bad for rocks. Never seen a cast, nodular, or "rock friendly" cover with supports.

Exactly. Seems to me this would be a common sense measure to include in a cast steel cover. 8.8, 8.25, d30, d35...I'm sure they would all benefit from the prevention of ring gear deflection.

I think I saw a thing, but I don't know what thing I thought I saw.
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 11:48:57 AM »

I have an 8.8.  I wondered the same thing for a minute until I realized its another thing to snag and then have a catastrophic leak.  Realistically, there probably isn't as much flex as you think because the HP and RPMs aren't there.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
majestek12
Forum User
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 12:11:58 PM »

I've never seen an issue with the carrier/deflection off road. Rotated tubes and shafts seem to be the primary issue. While HP and RPMs may not be in copious amounts torque is once you start gearing it down. I think that the issue is the need to have something that's "durable" but also produced by a manufacturing process that meets the necessary tolerances. Not to say it's impossible, but it would probably necessitate too high of a cost-point. Billet or cast aluminum is a lot easier to get on spec at first-work than cast steel or ductile iron and fine/finish-working any aluminum is much easier, and cheaper, as well. Get your clearances wrong and you're getting leaks at the cover, worn out carrier bearings, or a cover that doesn't actually provide support. I may be way off, but makes sense in my head.

ARB may be the best way to go if you're worried, not quite the same as actual carrier supports but it does have the cross-braces which they state leads to longer carrier bearing life (and it has the dipstick and drain plug).

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: