Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
October 18, 2018, 10:12:32 PM

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just in from Southern California  (Read 1176 times)
Goonie
Member 2018
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 11:47:01 AM »

I know peters mill/taskers gap both allow dogs and the trails in GWNF do as well. Not sure about the "4x4 parks"

2015 White Renegade Trail Hawk.
2018 Chief Blue JKU
JK_HVGC
Committee: Vendor
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 06:11:11 PM »

Jeep Wave Welcome from sterling.

There is a "new to jeeping run" a lot of folks are going on tomorrow easy trails but great views, if your rig is built there are, I believe, two rausch runs coming up as well as a pots mountain run.

I saw that run but couldn't make it.  My jeep is SOA with a locker in the front and a winch, sitting on 33s so it's fairly capable.  Not sure for around here but definitely got around the high desert stuff of SOCAL.  I was wondering if dogs are allowed on the trail runs.  My ACD loves riding shotgun if she can or just running alongside.  If anyone has info about that let me know.
I haven't been to a place yet that doesn't allow dogs, but I've only wheeled the cove, rausch, uwharrie, everything in GWNF, Harlan KY, and Windrock TN.  Let me know if you find one that says no.

Jeremy

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

-Fortune Favors the Bold
-If he needs one round of WP, then he needs one round of HE. If we're sending one round of HE, we might as well send 4, fire for effect.
z4iken
Club Member at Large
2016 JK
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 06:15:01 PM »

There is a "new to jeeping run" a lot of folks are going on tomorrow easy trails but great views, if your rig is built there are, I believe, two rausch runs coming up as well as a pots mountain run.

I saw that run but couldn't make it.  My jeep is SOA with a locker in the front and a winch, sitting on 33s so it's fairly capable.  Not sure for around here but definitely got around the high desert stuff of SOCAL.  I was wondering if dogs are allowed on the trail runs.  My ACD loves riding shotgun if she can or just running alongside.  If anyone has info about that let me know.

Ignore Jerbear's snark. Every trail allows dogs, but I'd recommend keeping them in the Jeep as some of the areas near us (rausch, cove) can get pretty busy and you wouldn't want your pupper to get run over

The Jeremy Theorem: Just buy 35's the first time
The Bill Corrolary: Bill is always technically right
JK_HVGC
Committee: Vendor
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 06:28:27 PM »

Ignore Jerbear's snark. Every trail allows dogs, but I'd recommend keeping them in the Jeep as some of the areas near us (rausch, cove) can get pretty busy and you wouldn't want your pupper to get run over
I haz no snark

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

-Fortune Favors the Bold
-If he needs one round of WP, then he needs one round of HE. If we're sending one round of HE, we might as well send 4, fire for effect.
nosigma
Member 2018
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 09:25:16 PM »

I came in from SoCal too.  Welcome to the world of polished granite, mud and logs.  Ran trails east of San Diego and North from Lawrence Welk through Big Bear, Hammers and up to the Rubicon.

You wont find the good traction of sandstone or volcanic rock here.  The Vistas suck too.  You will need to learn some new skills for working logs and controlling wheel speed so you dont break shafts after clearing the mud from your tires and finding traction a foot later. Snow and ice wheeling in the winter add a whole new dimension to it.  Yes it snowed in the Pannamint Valley but it wasnt 3 feet deep and ten below at night.

Your big rock skills from the west coast will be put to the test on Rausch Creek Reds with adjustment for slick conditions. 

Welcome to NVJA.  I drove a silly looking XJ on 35's and look forward to swapping trail stories from the best of the west.

John

VirginiaZJ "Frank, Stop. Don't come down here"
Somebody: "Is John in a predicament?"
VirginiaZJ "The front of his Jeep is facing me now"
Somebody: "Yeah, I guess that's a predicament"

Quote overhead
Thought I saw nosigma at eastern mountain sports but it turns out the guys xj had been sideswiped
nosigma
Member 2018
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 09:31:04 PM »

Just noticed the picture.  Looks like your running down the  Odessa - Doran Loop.  Did you get the gate keeper going up?

John
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:40:23 PM by nosigma »

Quote overhead
Thought I saw nosigma at eastern mountain sports but it turns out the guys xj had been sideswiped
Mochi310
Forum User
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 06:26:32 PM »

I came in from SoCal too.  Welcome to the world of polished granite, mud and logs.  Ran trails east of San Diego and North from Lawrence Welk through Big Bear, Hammers and up to the Rubicon.

You wont find the good traction of sandstone or volcanic rock here.  The Vistas suck too.  You will need to learn some new skills for working logs and controlling wheel speed so you dont break shafts after clearing the mud from your tires and finding traction a foot later. Snow and ice wheeling in the winter add a whole new dimension to it.  Yes it snowed in the Pannamint Valley but it wasnt 3 feet deep and ten below at night.

Your big rock skills from the west coast will be put to the test on Rausch Creek Reds with adjustment for slick conditions. 

Welcome to NVJA.  I drove a silly looking XJ on 35's and look forward to swapping trail stories from the best of the west.

John

That's good to hear that this will be a different style.  I did like the traction out there but always fun to take on a new challenge.  My experience isn't quite as extensive as yours but did have some fun on some trails out there in the west.  Way back even before California I ran around up in Alaska but not with a jeep had an old 1975 Dodge on some 37s that took care of business.  Look forward to hitting the trails out here, seems like an awesome group on here.

David

nosigma
Member 2018
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 10:15:15 PM »

Where was your picture taken at. Its killing me to know if I had it right or not?

Hope to meet you at one of the fall rides.

John

Quote overhead
cwkann
WC, VRC, EC
Committee: Trail Rides
Winchester, VA
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 08:53:59 AM »

Welcome!  Cool picture!  And yes, your dog is welcome on trail rides as long as they are leashed for most.

'03 Rubicon- 4.5" RE LA, 37"s, A bunch of skids by TNT, Poison Spyder, EMP, Rock Hard, Warn, Kilby and custom fab work.  CAI, Power chip, Exhaust, 4.88 gears and chromoly axles by Yukon. OBA and Powertank, one ton steering, Teraflex Swaybar system, MM 9500lb winch and a bunch of other stuff...
DAMTALL
Thread Jackin' 24/7
Committee: Events
JEEP stands for Personal Freedom and Happiness!!
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2018, 07:02:42 PM »

Welcome to the club from Springfield!  Jeep Wave

Big Mike

Big Mike - 2012 JKU Crush, 2.5" Teraflex Lift with Shocks, JKS Quick Discos, RockHard4x4 Skids and Evap Relocation Bracket, JCR Crusader Bumpers (mid-width front, mid-width rear with tire carrier), SmittyBilt h2o winch, 16x8 ATX wheels with 315-75-16 General Grabber AT2's.
KensHardware
Official Club Vendor
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2018, 10:16:13 AM »

Wow. Cali.  This is different wheeling out here. Welcome.

WWW Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: