Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
August 16, 2018, 06:46:58 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2017 GC Overland - things to look out for?  (Read 404 times)
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« on: June 17, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »

So a friend is looking at a 2017 Grand Cherokee Overland. Any things to look out for?  Known issues?

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
dave2002ti
Member 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 04:29:19 PM »

What engine?  Have all the recalls been done?  Depending on mileage have the diffs fluid been changed  and the transfer case??

I have 2012 Grand Cherokee V6 with 92K miles on it with the off road package and skid plates. 18in wheels.

Only issue I had was after about 6mos of ownership rear driveshaft failed. Replaced under warranty. V8 ancient technology with cast iron block and it aint really hemi. Also recalls can take forever for the part to come in but then thats a problem with all automakers. My bro has been waiting for almost 2 years for a part for the recall for his 2011 3 series.

Traction control system does result in rear brake pads needing to be replaced before the fronts.  Killer AC for those hot months in the summer when the collies and I are working a herding trial and temps are around 100F and dew point above 70 even at idle the AC helped us cool down between classes.    V6 I average about 21mpg and that includes commuting on I66. Very comfortable for long trips although front seats may not fit all folks. I ahve no issues with the V6 and being able to pass on I95 in MD, I66 and the Beltway.  Also because it is based on a Mercedes design it does well on the back roads and can late brake/trail brake and chase apexes.  If you have single car garage check the fit. Second most reliable vehicle I purchased new that I have owned since 1978. Only vehicle more reliable was my 2006 Honda Element but it had disagreements with strong crosswinds.

Should be interesting to see  the new generation based on the Alfa chassis maybe the Stelvio does?  And Alfa has never had a good history regarding reliability.  Ford is coming out with a 4door Bronco and Landie with the new Defender.
New Wrangler Unlimited JL's rear floor isn't flat with the rear seat folded which I need for dog crates.

Dave Apker
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 05:51:05 AM by dave2002ti »

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 05:08:49 PM »

Thanks Dave. I appreciate the input.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Onyx Dragon
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 09:11:12 AM »

If it's the V6, and they are still using the same oil filter setup, watch for the crack that leaks on the oil cooler (think it's from over tightening).  My mom's 2014 had that issue, and is the entire reason that she goes to the dealer for oil changes...and is why I was kind of glad they threw 5 years of oil changes in when I bought my JK.

Bill Staples
1999 XJ
2013 JK
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 09:37:53 AM »

If it's the V6, and they are still using the same oil filter setup, watch for the crack that leaks on the oil cooler (think it's from over tightening).  My mom's 2014 had that issue, and is the entire reason that she goes to the dealer for oil changes...and is why I was kind of glad they threw 5 years of oil changes in when I bought my JK.

Thanks. I hope they resolved that. But good to know and look out for it.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

///BHRpowered
Member 2018
Renegade Super Villan
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 06:57:48 PM »

I can't speak for the 2017, but just the overall WK2/WL

I'v had my 5.7l Summit edition for 3 years now and haven't been impressed. Poor build quality and seems rushed, as evident by the types of recalls they have had. I had the starter motor go out at 38k, wouldn't cover it under warranty and because they changed to a new style it took weeks to get replacement (this was in 2015)

- Extremely soft paint, like 1960's italian sports car soft.
- Leather started to crack at around 20k on drivers seat
- Speaking of seats, possibly the most uncomfortable to exist and I don't know why. Even an hour's commute I feel in my buns when getting out.
- Electronics are a joke, both in quality and design, to the point I actually attempted to lemon law the car but failed because they were designed a certain way and not all broken.
To expland on that

- The TPMS system would flash a tire as low at 34 psi, but not another tire at 31psi. I'v had as low as 28psi and not light or warning, but 2 wheels will go crazy if they drop below 35psi.
- Every now and then when I start the car it will decide it wants to be at a different height (quadra-lift system) I'v left it in park mode, remote started it and had it be in off-road2.
- ACC system/radar whatever you want to call it is so bad I consider it dangerous and removed it from car. If you go down a dip then up a hill (like liberia ave) it will cut the music, flash, beep and go crazy on an empty road. Kind of scary actually. In terms of keeping distance under cruise control that just flat doesn't work
- Park sensor system. I cannot stress this enough that I go apeshit bat crazy insane throwing feces at Jeep. I keep the system turned off, both in the evic and via button....When I reverse OUT of my garage with NOTHING but grass behind me the system makes the EXACT same invasive loud beep to tell me the system is off. If I come to a stop it will just keep beeping, lock out the evic with a warning message etc. Pure insanity
- Sirius radio has issues, every time it updates subscription I lose half or more of my presets.
- Electronic nanny, so many things are limited, very poor throttle response, power seems to "flow on" but is never there when I want it, no feedback in steering wheel.
- Why, just why. If I get out and try to lock the door by pressing door handle button it will blink, clearly knows I'm pressing button, but I'll have to hit it 3-4 times, or wait a few seconds for it to lock. So I look like an idiot standing by car trying to figure out how to lock it
- Never fear, if your washing the car and spray one of the front windows with enough pressure it will flash and unlock to lock. Because why not?

All that and I still have the traditional shifter and solid 6-spd tranny. The new style shifter is a cluster and took a celeb death, lawsuit, and lost sales to fix. NO ONE needs 8 spds. A 200mph F1 car only has 7, you'll be fine with 6.

That all being said, it has great power for towing, great brakes, love the massive sunroof, air cooled seats work better then most cars I'v been in, plenty room for people, love the reclining rear seats, beautiful sound system, super quiet interior on highway.

All this and I'm only at 47k, don't drive it in the winter and rarely drive other times except maybe a roadtrip or travel meeting.

WWW Logged

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement I would be unstoppable" - ///BHRpowered
"Watching the two black Millenias disappear over the horizon in front of the helplessly outraced Chevy was a treat for the X-man" - Xedosman
"I am not looking to take over the world like BHR" - cwkann
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 07:01:22 PM »

I can't speak for the 2017, but just the overall WK2/WL

I'v had my 5.7l Summit edition for 3 years now and haven't been impressed. Poor build quality and seems rushed, as evident by the types of recalls they have had. I had the starter motor go out at 38k, wouldn't cover it under warranty and because they changed to a new style it took weeks to get replacement (this was in 2015)

- Extremely soft paint, like 1960's italian sports car soft.
- Leather started to crack at around 20k on drivers seat
- Speaking of seats, possibly the most uncomfortable to exist and I don't know why. Even an hour's commute I feel in my buns when getting out.
- Electronics are a joke, both in quality and design, to the point I actually attempted to lemon law the car but failed because they were designed a certain way and not all broken.
To expland on that

- The TPMS system would flash a tire as low at 34 psi, but not another tire at 31psi. I'v had as low as 28psi and not light or warning, but 2 wheels will go crazy if they drop below 35psi.
- Every now and then when I start the car it will decide it wants to be at a different height (quadra-lift system) I'v left it in park mode, remote started it and had it be in off-road2.
- ACC system/radar whatever you want to call it is so bad I consider it dangerous and removed it from car. If you go down a dip then up a hill (like liberia ave) it will cut the music, flash, beep and go crazy on an empty road. Kind of scary actually. In terms of keeping distance under cruise control that just flat doesn't work
- Park sensor system. I cannot stress this enough that I go apeshit bat crazy insane throwing feces at Jeep. I keep the system turned off, both in the evic and via button....When I reverse OUT of my garage with NOTHING but grass behind me the system makes the EXACT same invasive loud beep to tell me the system is off. If I come to a stop it will just keep beeping, lock out the evic with a warning message etc. Pure insanity
- Sirius radio has issues, every time it updates subscription I lose half or more of my presets.
- Electronic nanny, so many things are limited, very poor throttle response, power seems to "flow on" but is never there when I want it, no feedback in steering wheel.
- Why, just why. If I get out and try to lock the door by pressing door handle button it will blink, clearly knows I'm pressing button, but I'll have to hit it 3-4 times, or wait a few seconds for it to lock. So I look like an idiot standing by car trying to figure out how to lock it
- Never fear, if your washing the car and spray one of the front windows with enough pressure it will flash and unlock to lock. Because why not?

All that and I still have the traditional shifter and solid 6-spd tranny. The new style shifter is a cluster and took a celeb death, lawsuit, and lost sales to fix. NO ONE needs 8 spds. A 200mph F1 car only has 7, you'll be fine with 6.

That all being said, it has great power for towing, great brakes, love the massive sunroof, air cooled seats work better then most cars I'v been in, plenty room for people, love the reclining rear seats, beautiful sound system, super quiet interior on highway.

All this and I'm only at 47k, don't drive it in the winter and rarely drive other times except maybe a roadtrip or travel meeting.

Wow. I knew you had issues, but I had no idea. I will pass this info on. Thanks.

As for the sirius channel update, i dislike when it does it on my Wrangler, as it seems to take a while, but I never lose my presets. That would really annoy me.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

///BHRpowered
Member 2018
Renegade Super Villan
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 07:26:44 PM »

Oh, and sometimes when going from Drive to Reverse it will forget its a transmission. It will display 2 dashes "- -" on evic and feel like it's in neutral. Happens more in winter.

I guess it's just stressful, usually bad cars at least have some sort of...soul? The WL just seems like a toaster that can't toast. They lemon law case didn't go through because of things like the park sensors that are "designed" that way and therefore are not considered repairable issues.

OH, and recalls, I believe they highlight the examples of poor quality control and rushed to cut corners.

Fuel relay - Claims cars were cutting off in intersections because of fuel pump relay...so maybe 99 cents saved?
Mirror wiring - Claims sun visors and wiring for vanity mirror can be a fire hazard
Brake booster shield - Claims brake booster can rust somehow and cause booster to fail/no brakes.

I will add that the terrain control/traction is impressive, was able to pull my poor 2WD F150 up a wet muddy hill while loaded with mulch, no issues.

WWW Logged

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement I would be unstoppable" - ///BHRpowered
"Watching the two black Millenias disappear over the horizon in front of the helplessly outraced Chevy was a treat for the X-man" - Xedosman
Onyx Dragon
Forum User
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 07:43:31 AM »

Oh, and sometimes when going from Drive to Reverse it will forget its a transmission. It will display 2 dashes "- -" on evic and feel like it's in neutral. Happens more in winter.

I guess it's just stressful, usually bad cars at least have some sort of...soul? The WL just seems like a toaster that can't toast. They lemon law case didn't go through because of things like the park sensors that are "designed" that way and therefore are not considered repairable issues.

OH, and recalls, I believe they highlight the examples of poor quality control and rushed to cut corners.

Fuel relay - Claims cars were cutting off in intersections because of fuel pump relay...so maybe 99 cents saved?
Mirror wiring - Claims sun visors and wiring for vanity mirror can be a fire hazard
Brake booster shield - Claims brake booster can rust somehow and cause booster to fail/no brakes.

I will add that the terrain control/traction is impressive, was able to pull my poor 2WD F150 up a wet muddy hill while loaded with mulch, no issues.

So, pretty much every single system is busted in your car.  Good grief, man!  Your Jeep must be in the dealer more than your garage!

Bill Staples
1999 XJ
2013 JK
///BHRpowered
Member 2018
Renegade Super Villan
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 02:44:21 PM »

So, pretty much every single system is busted in your car.  Good grief, man!  Your Jeep must be in the dealer more than your garage!

Nope. That's why my lemon law attempt failed. They are designed that way, not broken. For lemon law to apply it has to spend so many days per month in shop and have so many attempts to be repaired or be a serious safety hazard (as deemed by Jeep). They can't repair what according to them isn't broken. The electronic overlords are for "safety" the backup system saying its off is for "safety" the siruis update is so "you can have the most up to date content" The seat comfort is "subjective" It was a fun run around. They claim the ACC issue is because of my winch, even though it was a documented issue before winch was installed, and the quadra-lift adjusts height for weight anyway.

The a/c and heat are awesome, sound system is beautiful, and tow's everything I'v thrown at it with ease. So I don't drive it, but just spent another 1k on putting the 14+ LED headlights in (see threads)

To play devil's advocate......Mine is a 2012 so they didn't have really any reliability reports when purchased, add to that the only research I did was what trim package/options/colors I wanted and pretty much just walked in and bought it after a 10 min test drive, because you know, it's a Grand Cherokee and that's what I buy.

WWW Logged

dave2002ti
Member 2018
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 03:23:30 PM »

Interesting mine is 2012 too but a Laredo with the V6 and Off Road I option w/ low range and skid plates.

I have no issues with the satellite radio and Sirius. It works great. I mostly listen to Radio Margaritaville and WTOP for traffic on the way home from Ft Meade.  I commute to Fort Meade one day a week usually and it does great at 75mph + at o dark thirty on I66, 495, and then I95 and average 21mpg+.

Dont have any issues with EVIC and trannie going from drive to neutral but there are different trannies for the V6 and V8.

I have had all the recalls done and only issue was parts availibility and Lindsay Jeep's top tech screwing up the visor recall. i refused to take it back to Linday and now go to Safford In Warrenton. I get great service there. Mark does a great job.

I have 93K miles and beat the crap out of it and it goes bouncing across fields and down crappy farm roads weekly. I have no issues with the parking sensors. I guess mine wasn't built on Friday or Monday and UAW union scum who built mine weren't high that day.

I didn't need the V8 so called hemi since I don't tow and at the time didn't want to deal with changing the plugs every 30K miles.  2nd most reliable vehicle I have owned. Hell of lot more reliable than any watercooled VDub and BMW I owned and more reliable than the BMWs and Volvos my bro and his wife have owned over the years.  Hell my bro can't trade in his 2011 3 series cause he has been waiting over a year for the part for one its many recalls. He has no AC and repair will cost him $3K+. 3 series have had similar AC issues since the late 80's.

Will be interesting to see how badly FCA and Fiat screw up the new Grand Cherokee since its based on a Alfa Romeo platform which can never be a good thing since Alfas leak fluids on the assembly line.  Looking at the new Defender if it ever happens, along with new Bronco along with new model Grand Cherokee.  I prefer normally aspirated over turbos in gas powered engines. I do not want some POS I4 turbo in any of my choices.  Not big on diesels. I like revs.

Dave Apker

///BHRpowered
Member 2018
Renegade Super Villan
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 03:38:46 PM »

and Lindsay Jeep's top tech screwing up the visor recall. i refused to take it back to Linday and now go to Safford In Warrenton. I get great service there. Mark does a great job.
Dave Apker

Lindsay Jeep, actually any Lindsay dealership is an entire issue on its own. I refuse to go even just to the parts department. If someone wants to buy a Jeep, great, best of luck and hope you enjoy it - but don't buy from Lindsay

Looked up a few pics of 'new" grand cherokee, not sure if they are official or just renderings, but I literally gasped at how ugly they look. Guess I'll be sticking with Audi for a while.

WWW Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: