Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
October 18, 2018, 01:33:30 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 89/90 F250 stalling  (Read 2467 times)
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2018, 06:29:41 PM »

Well, this sucks.  Still giving me issues.  I tried looking for obvious vacuum leaks, but spotted nothing.  But I am not saying there is not one.  I did go ahead and replace the MAP sensor.  Took the truck to the pet store tonight to test it out.  Stalled at least 50 times.  Frustrating as HELL!!!!  I am going to take it somewhere.  Need a good Ford place somewhat close to me.  Not sure I want to take it to a dealer, but I am willing to.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2018, 07:53:38 AM »

At what point do you bite the bullet, admit defeat, and take it to Sterling Ford?

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2018, 08:23:51 AM »

At what point do you bite the bullet, admit defeat, and take it to Sterling Ford?

Soon. I am not a proud man.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2018, 09:54:08 AM »

OK.  I went and read every post - AGAIN.  Have you ruled out water in the fuel?  Have you added anything to remove it?  If not, I would suck it out and add back 5 fresh gallons with a good dose of alcohol (in the tank and not in you).

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2018, 11:20:57 AM »

OK.  I went and read every post - AGAIN.  Have you ruled out water in the fuel?  Have you added anything to remove it?  If not, I would suck it out and add back 5 fresh gallons with a good dose of alcohol (in the tank and not in you).

No. I have not. But I did just fill the tank recently.  What type of alcohol?  Other than the ethanol that is already included at the pump.

This would be a relatively painless test for sure.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2018, 12:15:18 PM »

I believe the yellow bottles (instead of red, they are two type of alcohol) work better and you can get them from Walmart or auto parts stores.  Usually called dry-gas.  You want to give it a heavy dose - maybe 3 bottles if there is 20 gallons in it.  Just read the bottle.

Just to be clear, alcohol actually attracts water as it sits in a gas tank.  That's why gasohol is so bad for vehicles.  By constantly driving, it mixes the gas/water/alcohol and lets it get burnt thru combustion.  If it has so much water that it has separated, you will have water in the bottom of your tank which is right where the fuel pick-up is.  Just adding fresh gas is not enough to get it out my mixing.  This is a big problem on older less driven vehicles, especially motorcycles that have tiny orifices in the carbs.  The alcohol attracts excess water from sitting and will rust out the tank.

When you purchase a vehicle that has been sitting for a long time, it is best to syphon the tank empty and add fresh gas with extra alcohol prior to starting.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »

If you want to run down any possible vacuum leaks, a home made smoke tester is actually pretty cheap and easy to make, Lots of youtube videos showing various ideas...

I made mine using a pint paint thinner can, about 4 feet of 1/2 fuel line, a fitting to plug it into the Brake Booster vacuum line, and a vacuum cleaner that has a blow mode (I'm using a Shop Vac Bucket Max. For smoke generation, you can use a small cigar (I use Middleton's Cherry blend, Cause I like to smoke them too).

I've found many a small leak using mine, including bad gaskets on throttle bodies and carbs.

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2018, 01:24:30 PM »

Thank you gentlemen. Now I have some ideas.

As for the gas, It may have sat around before I got it, but it has been filled multiple times before the issues started. So if it is bad gas, it was a recent fill up. The truck ran fine when I drove it to Williamsburg and back to pick up some furniture.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2018, 01:54:56 PM »

That probably rules the gas issue out.  Didn't realize you were actually putting some miles on it.

My '99 Chevy van was running for a few months kind of crappy and would occasionally stall out at low speed maneuvers like parking or backing up, but was getting more frequent.  It never would throw a code even with a crummy idle.  Finally, coming back from MB last weekend and running at 80mph stuttering along for about 100 miles it actually through a code.  It was a P0131 for O2 sensor.  I was actually happy to see the code because it pointed me in the right direction.  Replaced, and runs better than it has in many months.

- Frank
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: