Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
June 23, 2018, 05:14:22 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pickup tonneau covers  (Read 232 times)
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Arlington, VA
« on: June 13, 2018, 08:28:54 AM »

Interested in getting a tonneau cover for my truck. Probably looking at a soft folding or rolling cover as I don't wan't to have to store a large hard cover when I take it off. Anybody have experience with any they can recommend? Also not looking to spend a ton on it, so if there are any cheaper options that would be good as well.

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
overhead
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 08:31:59 AM »

Jeff wilson and my Buddy david both like the Tyger Brand from amazon, cheap easy roll ups or tri folds,

https://www.amazon.com/Tyger-Auto-TG-BC2C2059-2014-2018-Silverado/dp/B012BVG3VU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1528896658&sr=8-7&keywords=tyger+tonneau+cover+chevy+silverado

I'm looking at the more expensive end
https://www.realtruck.com/truck-covers-usa-american-roll-cover/R182058P2014Y734MA.html

but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'd rather something that I can stack gear on because I know myself and how often I end up moving.

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Arlington, VA
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 08:37:23 AM »

Thanks Stephen - was looking at Amazon and had seen the Tyger ones. I agree on your second point..would like one of those but can't afford that right now. I'm moving to Richmond and want to make sure some stuff I'm throwing in the bed will stay dry for a couple days and also I'm sure I'll use it in the future as well.

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
overhead
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 08:52:52 AM »

Thanks Stephen - was looking at Amazon and had seen the Tyger ones. I agree on your second point..would like one of those but can't afford that right now. I'm moving to Richmond and want to make sure some stuff I'm throwing in the bed will stay dry for a couple days and also I'm sure I'll use it in the future as well.

Dry is a uh, retaliative term for those covers, just keep that in mind.

They're decently constructed, I got the side steps for christmas because it was $250 vs $950 so I completely understand. 

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
sirjames186
Club Secretary
05 LJ
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:00:21 AM »

My wife has one on her little Ranger, I'll look at the brand tonight. It keeps things dry if you're moving, but just sitting some water gets in (just drips on the sides and runs in, so if stuff is off the bed it's fine and even then it's just the stuff on the edges). We drive it to GA every year for Christmas and a couple times it's rained the whole way and all our stuff stays dry. I just retreated it with some 303 stuff last year after 10 years of use. It's a cloth one that rolls up and is super handy. Only downside is you have to put the cover on before closing the tailgate, which I frequently forget to do.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
ogre45
Member 2018
Winchester,VA
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 10:58:46 AM »

I bought a Lund tri-fold for the Titan. It worked great and kept the bed dry. It was very easy to remove and install when I needed to.
Bought off of Amazon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It was a Lund Genesis Elite. It was an Amazon Warehouse buy, so I didn't pay full price.

Alex
1969 Jeepster Commando in work
2018 JKU Golden Eagle stock for now
opie
Forum User
Somewhere deep in your mind
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 03:53:52 PM »

I checked craigslist and found mine in great shape for $100. trifold, goes on and off in a minute or two and secures the bed when tailgate is locked as much as a tonneau can protect..LOL

cwkann
WC, VRC, EC
Committee: Trail Rides
Winchester, VA
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 08:35:38 AM »

I have had Trux Mart covers on 2 trucks and liked them a lot.  They are adjustable to fit tight and let no water in.  I currently have one from Dodge and it doesn't seal as tight as the others did.  They were about $300.

'03 Rubicon- 4.5" RE LA, 37"s, A bunch of skids by TNT, Poison Spyder, EMP, Rock Hard, Warn, Kilby and custom fab work.  CAI, Power chip, Exhaust, 4.88 gears and chromoly axles by Yukon. OBA and Powertank, one ton steering, Teraflex Swaybar system, MM 9500lb winch and a bunch of other stuff...
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Arlington, VA
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 04:07:48 PM »

I checked craigslist and found mine in great shape for $100. trifold, goes on and off in a minute or two and secures the bed when tailgate is locked as much as a tonneau can protect..LOL

Thanks for the idea...getting one off of Craigslist tonight for about $100.

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
dan58
Forum User
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 10:00:39 AM »

Did you end up getting one?  Those Amazon cheapies are almost always made in CN.  BLAH.  TrailFx is made in the US and isn't much more.  Lifetime warranty too.

highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 01:26:29 PM »

I have a good one for a FS Short bed, if you don't get the one your trying for. I would do $80 on it.

HighlanderCJ-7
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Arlington, VA
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 04:25:19 PM »

Got one off of Craigslist down here in Richmond - it's an Extang Trifecta. Seems to be made pretty well and has worked fine so far.

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
Search
Member 2018
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 04:21:02 AM »

Iíve heard good stuff about the Extang. I got a Bestop trifold for my Super Duty because they were on sale and had a manufacturers rebate at the time. Itís worked well, barely lets any water into the bed when it rains.

'15 Unlimited Rubicon but I miss my LJ
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: