Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
June 18, 2018, 12:14:32 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you ever are curious about why you should buy Warn  (Read 240 times)
z4iken
Club Member at Large
2016 JK
« on: June 14, 2018, 09:42:09 AM »

I know this is going to get a lot of heat - if you don't wheel more than a few times a year, a Warn winch is unnecessarily expensive. There are plenty of other winch brands that will work just as well when you need them, and the kicker is once your other brand winch dies, you can just buy a new one and it'll probably still be cheaper overall than buying a Warn.

That being said, out of pure stupidity I managed to fray some of the cables on my M8000, and the bolts holding the winch tierods had completely rusted in place and had to be forcibly removed via hammer.

Sent a picture to Warn support and got contacted in less than an hour by an American-based Warn support person who sent me replacement parts for free, along with a detailed diagram of how to rewire the winch. I highly doubt many of the other major winch manufacturers would be so awesome (would love to be proved wrong)

A+++ service

The Jeremy Theorem: Just buy 35's the first time
The Bill Corrolary: Bill is always technically right
AutoTraker
Forum User
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 11:47:03 AM »

That is probably the major reason to buy Warn, support....
For me, I'd rather have my HF 12,000 lb winch which has a lot more power and costs me half as much.
(A 12,000 lb Warn will cost you $1500. I can buy 5 HF 12,000 lb winches for that.)
But that's just me, I'm more than capable of fixing my own winches and have a treasure trove of spare parts.
With that said, if money wasn't my biggest objection, I'd also buy Warn. Especially the 8274. The quality and support is there with a Warn.

My favorite winches were made by Desert Dynamics which was bought out by Pierce Wreckers.
I used then almost exclusively on my tow trucks.
Better quality than Warn and less money. (Although I think their prices are on a level with Warn now.)

--
Rich...
Last count have 3 Jeeps. A CJ, TJ & a XJ.  Also got a Yota.
I Live in a Country Founded by Geniuses but Run by Idiots.
Central Virginia Jeepers
RCPFA
DeltaCharlie45
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 11:51:17 AM »

For me, I'd rather have my HF 12,000 lb winch which has a lot more power and costs me half as much.
(A 12,000 lb Warn will cost you $1500. I can buy 5 HF 12,000 lb winches for that.)
But that's just me, I'm more than capable of fixing my own winches and have a treasure trove of spare parts.
With that said, if money wasn't my biggest objection, I'd also buy Warn. Especially the 8274. The quality and support is there with a Warn.

My favorite winches were made by Desert Dynamics which was bought out by Pierce Wreckers.
Better quality than Warn and less money. (Although I think their prices are on a level with Warn now.)
Lol

z4iken
Club Member at Large
2016 JK
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 01:43:27 PM »

Yeah, except i have a $550 Warn M8000 and the equivalent HF winch is $320. So yeah, it's ~60% more expensive, but if you need to replace your HF winch once it's paid for itself.

Also, a Warn VR12000 is $900; a HF 12000 is $400, so your argument is a little bit better there, but in no way can you buy "5 HF 12000 lb winches"

Point being a Warn is probably overpriced but their support is great. I'd love to get as good as you and be able to know the inside and out of winches, but this is the first time I've had to mess with the internals and Im glad I had warn there to help me through it *knock on wood*
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 01:53:33 PM by z4iken »

The Jeremy Theorem: Just buy 35's the first time
The Bill Corrolary: Bill is always technically right
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 02:06:51 PM »

Once every quarter (or less) the HF 12k goes on sale for $299 and sometimes $279 (no coupons allowed).  I bought mine at $279.  Works great.  But for long-term a Warn would probably be a better investment - if you actually use it a lot.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Arlington, VA
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 04:26:17 PM »

Yeah, except i have a $550 Warn M8000 and the equivalent HF winch is $320. So yeah, it's ~60% more expensive, but if you need to replace your HF winch once it's paid for itself.

Also, a Warn VR12000 is $900; a HF 12000 is $400, so your argument is a little bit better there, but in no way can you buy "5 HF 12000 lb winches"

Point being a Warn is probably overpriced but their support is great. I'd love to get as good as you and be able to know the inside and out of winches, but this is the first time I've had to mess with the internals and Im glad I had warn there to help me through it *knock on wood*

The VR line is Warn's cheaper line of winches, which I believe (it's been a while) are Chinese made. Assuming Rich was comparing a U.S. made Warn to the HF.

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 04:30:04 PM »

Rich was referring to the Warn 8274, Which is not comparable to the VR Series The M8274-50 currently runs about $1900, and is rated as an 8,000lb winch... And if you catch the Badlands 12,000lb on sale (Which it is more often than it's full retail), yes, you can easily get 5 of them for less than one 8274...

Now, as too the discussion at hand, the Warn VR Series winch is a much close match to the Harbor Freight, both in price and quality, Both are Chinese made winches, designed for the more frugal wheeler, and both have their good points.... Warn Specifies certain things when they place an order for winches, and even though they probably come out of the same factory, I believe the warn is of better quaility.... There is no doubt the support for the Warn is better, but I have called support for parts on Bad Lands winches too, and talked to knowledgeable American folk when I did, and have been able to buy replacement parts without an issue.

So, I don't think there is a right or wrong winch in this discussion, I've seen ALL of them fail at times. I personally will keep buying Bad Lands, but if I see a good deal on a new or used Warn 8274, I'm gonna jump on it, because it's the gold standard!

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
1990 SJ Waggy
1989 XJ Cherocar
AutoTraker
Forum User
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 08:50:19 AM »

The HF 12,000 lb winch sells for almost all the time for sub $300. If you buy it on one of their sales which run almost all the time for $289/$299.
The Warn M8000 I haven't seen for less than just under $600. So the Warn is twice as expensive for 3/4 the winch.
The Warn M12000 which is close to the capacity of the HF runs typically around $1400-$1500, That's almost 5 times the cost of the HF.
I wasn't even thinking about the Warn VR line of winches, their VR1200 where the parts are made in the same Chinese factory as HF typically runs around $800.
That's more than double the price of the HF you are paying for the Warn name.
So for the Chinese Warn you pay more than double and for the American made Warn you pay 5 times as much.
Now if we want to add the 8274 into the mix which is only a 8000 lbs and probably one of the best off road winches ever made, you are looking at around $1900.
The HF is so damn inexpensive for their price and value I have outfitted 4 of my vehicles with then and even have a brand new one still in the box laying in the garage in case I need a replacement in a hurry. And I only have $1400 invested in 5 winches... Why even the synthetic rope I get is half the price of Warns synthetic. A quick call to HF support gets me replacement parts which hasn't been very often. And have you priced Warn replacement parts? I have and they are like 3 times more expensive than any other brand parts.
I use the hell out of my winches and the HF hasn't let me down any more than any other brand and in 40 years of wheeling I've gone though a lot of winches. The only ones that never broke were my Desert Dynamics (Now Pierce), my 8274 Warn, and a Ramsey. All were worm gear drives. I've owned Ramsey, Warn, SuperWinch, and a few other off-brands.
If money was no object I'd only buy worm gear commercial winches. Since money is important I'll stick with HF which for me are better value and just as reliable as Warn.
I'm not knocking Warn. On the contrary I think they are superb winches and their support is terrific. I do think they are terribly overpriced and to me not worth the expense. 

--
Rich...
Central Virginia Jeepers
RCPFA
cwkann
WC, VRC, EC
Committee: Trail Rides
Winchester, VA
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 12:49:39 PM »

I am glad you had a positive experience with your Warn.  I have had both Warn and Several other brands and have not had any negative experiences, luckily.  If I were giving my suggestions on buying a winch I would follow Tracker's line of thinking though.  But again, glad you have had a positive experience.

'03 Rubicon- 4.5" RE LA, 37"s, A bunch of skids by TNT, Poison Spyder, EMP, Rock Hard, Warn, Kilby and custom fab work.  CAI, Power chip, Exhaust, 4.88 gears and chromoly axles by Yukon. OBA and Powertank, one ton steering, Teraflex Swaybar system, MM 9500lb winch and a bunch of other stuff...
Clifford04X
Forum User
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »

M8000 is a hard winch to beat for the price.  I paid 499 for mine.  I mounted the control box under the hood with a wireless remote.  It has a small delay but you get use to it.  Sure does beat digging for a controller sometimes. 

04 TJ, 5.5" Clayton long arm, Waggy 44 front, 8.8 Rear, 5.13's, Lockers, NP241OR, 36 iroks, Allied beadlocks, Hydro assist, Warn bumpers/sliders, M8000 winch.
AutoTraker
Forum User
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 02:33:23 PM »

M8000 is a hard winch to beat for the price.  I paid 499 for mine.  I mounted the control box under the hood with a wireless remote.  It has a small delay but you get use to it.  Sure does beat digging for a controller sometimes. 
Speaking of which you can add a wireless remote to any winch if you can do some simple wiring.
Here is the one I've been using recently... $15.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JKE84X2/
Comes with both a key fob remote and a remote to clip on your sun visor.
Open up the control box, attach a few wires, and you're in business. I've put this remote on 5 different winches and it works great.

BTW, I highly recommend against the HF wireless remote for their winches. It might be easy cause you just plug it in but the delay is dangerous.
You mentioned the remote for the Warn has a delay. I'm sure it can't be as bad as the one from HF. 

--
Rich...
Central Virginia Jeepers
RCPFA
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: