Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 13, 2018, 07:28:02 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone have a tongue scale?  (Read 1855 times)
Zedi
Member 2018 VA4WD
« on: June 19, 2018, 11:40:45 AM »

I just got a trailer for my TJ and would like to make sure I have it balanced right.  Does anyone have a tongue scale I could borrow to make sure I put the TJ in the right place on the trailer<
Thanks.

1998 TJ JEEBA Jeep
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 01:30:54 PM »

As a general rule of thumb, I drive up the trailer till the rear of the truck drops about 3". That is usually putting the front tires around 3-4 feet from the front of the trailer on a 16' trailer. That puts enough tongue weight on it to track straight and ride well.

HighlanderCJ-7
Zedi
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 02:32:04 PM »

As a general rule of thumb, I drive up the trailer till the rear of the truck drops about 3". That is usually putting the front tires around 3-4 feet from the front of the trailer on a 16' trailer. That puts enough tongue weight on it to track straight and ride well.
Thanks, that looks like a good starting point.
Problem is I don't have 3" to play with.  Pulling with a Highlander.  I know, I know pushing it right to the edge Confused, I do have an equalizer hitch, and I have pulled a TJ on a U-Haul trailer from NC, and it did very well. Not planning to do a lot of towing.  This year I got the trailer, next year a decent tow vehicle. 

1998 TJ JEEBA Jeep
AutoTraker
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 02:45:48 PM »

Thanks, that looks like a good starting point.
Problem is I don't have 3" to play with.  Pulling with a Highlander.  I know, I know pushing it right to the edge Confused, I do have an equalizer hitch, and I have pulled a TJ on a U-Haul trailer from NC, and it did very well. Not planning to do a lot of towing.  This year I got the trailer, next year a decent tow vehicle. 
Just center the Jeep between the trailer axles and you should be close enough. Most Jeeps are between 50/50 and 60/40 between the front and rear axles depending on the model. Trailers should be loaded about the same as the Jeep's weight distribution. 
You are really pushing the limits with a Highlander. My brother use to tow his boat with one and had issues and I know that weighed less than a Jeep and car trailer. You have a limit of like 5000 lbs and 500 lbs tongue. There is a trick you can do with a bathroom scale and a length of 2x4 to measure the tongue weight. Do a Google search for that.

--
Rich...
Last count have 3 Jeeps. A CJ, TJ & a XJ.  Also got a Yota.
I Live in a Country Founded by Geniuses but Run by Idiots.
Central Virginia Jeepers
RCPFA
highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 03:11:34 PM »

In that case, you will probably need an equalizer hitch. I would back that to about a 1-2 in drop and test it. You need the trailer to hold most of the weight but not to the point it sways and walks the lil tow rig.

HighlanderCJ-7
Clifford04X
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 03:32:25 PM »

Pull it as far forward as you can.  The more tongue weight the more stable it will be at highway speeds.  My rear Jeep tire is just behind my rear trailer tire. 

04 TJ, 5.5" Clayton long arm, Waggy 44 front, 8.8 Rear, 5.13's, Lockers, NP241OR, 36 iroks, Allied beadlocks, Hydro assist, Warn bumpers/sliders, M8000 winch.
Zedi
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 06:53:30 AM »

In that case, you will probably need an equalizer hitch. I would back that to about a 1-2 in drop and test it. You need the trailer to hold most of the weight but not to the point it sways and walks the lil tow rig.
I do have an equalizer hitch.  I wanted to get it right to the point where I have the lightest tongue weight that does not jeopardize stability, usually said to be 10%, or in my case ~500 pounds.

1998 TJ JEEBA Jeep
Clifford04X
Forum User
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 09:29:43 AM »

Oh wow. I didn't realize what you were planning on towing with.  I retract my statement about all the tongue weight. 

04 TJ, 5.5" Clayton long arm, Waggy 44 front, 8.8 Rear, 5.13's, Lockers, NP241OR, 36 iroks, Allied beadlocks, Hydro assist, Warn bumpers/sliders, M8000 winch.
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 09:38:24 AM »

I use a weigh safe hitch on my truck because my trailer is to low for anti sway bars, I love the products https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Ball/Weigh-Safe/WSUN-2.html

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
dan58
Forum User
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 10:00:43 AM »

Pull it as far forward as you can.  The more tongue weight the more stable it will be at highway speeds.  My rear Jeep tire is just behind my rear trailer tire. 

Genious!  Take the weight off the front tires.  You know, the things that STEER!  That's a terrible way to do it. 

sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 10:29:31 AM »

Genious!  Take the weight off the front tires.  You know, the things that STEER!  That's a terrible way to do it. 
He did retract that statement for the record.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
Clifford04X
Forum User
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 10:41:36 AM »

What a genius he is  ROTFLMAO. Buy a real truck

Zedi
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 05:48:50 AM »

What a genius he is  ROTFLMAO. Buy a real truck
Just to clarify I did not make the genius remark, and yes if I could afford it I would buy a real truck, but alas I am stuck with what I have. Since I do not plan to tow more than a few times a year the Highlander does a perfectly good job.  Pulled very well with no problems except for 13MPG, but it worked.  Geniuses also remember who posted what before bashing the posters.

1998 TJ JEEBA Jeep
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: