Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
July 20, 2018, 07:22:07 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learned somethin about my JK....  (Read 193 times)
VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« on: July 10, 2018, 06:12:01 AM »

:jwBeen wrenching on my vehicles for a lot longer than I care to admit.  This has included building a few from the Junk yard  ( yes  you could buy  vehicles from the yard and make them whole back then) but this JK have been giving me fits.

Brand new out of the box my JKUR has been a handful to drive. First it was ball joints at 4000 miles right side then the left sides totally shot Rant Face.  Replaced under warrentee, then with a New metal cloak 4.5 inch lift and 35 inch tires it developed a Death Wobble. Mad
First fix was to replace the replacment ball joints (OEM)  bottoms were shot! Very Mad With brand new  Dynatrac ball joints the DW was somewhat reduced. Least the Jeep would stay in the lane now.

First Alignment and things are better  but hit a big bump and the DW is back. WTF  Dunno? Blamed the  toothy tires and installe d BFG ATs

Re check everything under the rig.... loose  jam nuts and loose bolts in the suspension.... they were tight  just a few  hundered miles ago.....  Again things are better but not right the DW is still there.

New  MC tie rod  helped. I found the stock tie rod flexes under load! Looking for movement  I parked the jeep against a 8 inch curb and had someone saw the wheel back and forth.... yep you can see the tierod bow and movement in the ends... Shocked

After all of this  another wheel alignment by a local 4WD shop.....  They said they added a bit more toe... now the DW is better but not gone as if I hit a bump with both wheels the front end flips out.  Toe in 5/16 inch.

Back to Metal Cloak for a chat.  They stress wheel alignmant and tight link arms and track bar.  Propellar Head

Hit a baaaaed bump on Interstate 81 and sent me into the grass at 75  with a DW. I am going to either fix this or sell the rig at this point.

New Knuckles installed from Ried racing, actually bent  the OEM knuckles.....when or where I can only think back to  the bump on  I 81.

Alignment time again.... Local  Jeep dealer did the numbers this time and set toe at 3/16s , they would not touch caster or camber.  The caster number was - 5.8 and camber was a - 0.65.  Now the jeep is a handfull to keep straight on a smooth road. Hit of DW with every big bump.  I remeasurred the Toe and it was actually 3/4 toe in!

Back on the phone with  MC..... Lots of conversation on numbers.  Suggestion was to try to ge the the toe to 1/16 to 1/8 toe in.  Camber to -0.2 to -0.4 and caster to as close as  possible to 5.0

- So  a full turn on the lower control arm is  just a bit less than 1 degree acording to MC.. So I took a turn out of the lower  control arm to make ~ -5 degrees.
- With some shim stock loosened the unibearings and adjusted to -0.4 degrees as measured by a electronic level that reads out 2 decmial places to the right of Zero.
- With my redneck  wheel alignment almost complete  toe was set to 1/16 toe in.

Took a ride down the worst bumpy road I could find and  it is Fixed! Grab a Wrench!   So what happened/ During my conversations I learned that  the factory alignment numbers  acount for  joint flex as all the joints in the front of a stock JK/JKU have plastic wear surfaces and they deform under load.  so naturally the front wheels  move with respect to alignment.  Add 1 ton components with metal wear surfaces that do not move under load and the  OEM alingment specs did not work on this rig.

Additionally My MC  lift was one of the ones produced in August and the directions did not have torque specs for the link arms. My torque  was a bit short of 130-140ftlbs and the nut/bolt  and would loosen over time.  Added NORLOCK  locking washers to the suspension components to prevent  this from happening again.

I know they everyones rig is different just wanted to share  what I found out  over the course of the last 6 months.

Cheers
R3

Cheers
RRR

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 08:06:57 AM »

Wow. Quite an experience. I hope it really is done.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 08:34:11 AM »

Bit more work than my old CJ5, still love leaf springs but you can't beat the articulation of a 4 link.

Trip to Suffolk and back  logged 385 miles on 17.56 gallons..... Pretty happy with the math.

Done?

I have a Jeep and I still have money in my bank acount.... done is a realitive term yes?

Cheers
RRR

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 08:44:42 AM »

By done, I was only referring to the DW trouble. I fully understand that a Jeep is never “done”

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
VA6489
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 11:36:06 AM »

I sure hope so.

Cheers
RRR

DAMTALL
Thread Jackin' 24/7
Committee: Events
JEEP stands for Personal Freedom and Happiness!!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 09:16:23 PM »

I sure hope so.

Just Empty Every Pocket.  From birth to death of your JKUR.  Glad you handled the DW!  That just sucks!  Jeep Wave

Big Mike - 2012 JKU Crush, 2.5" Teraflex Lift with Shocks, JKS Quick Discos, RockHard4x4 Skids and Evap Bracket, JCR Crusader Bumpers (mid-width front, mid-width rear with tire carrier).
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: