Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 24, 2018, 08:36:34 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: high beam light  (Read 216 times)
sticksout
Club Secretary
« on: August 06, 2018, 05:11:34 PM »

Right high beam is out, no problem, installed new bulb.....high beam still doesn't come on. Only thing I can think of is something within the pigtail pooped out causing the high beam connection not to work. I even took the dust cover off and plugged the pigtail directly to the back of the bulb, no change.

Thoughts?

2001 TJ Sahara - black
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 05:27:27 PM »

First thought for me is a fuse, many modern vehicles have separate fuses for left and right high beam.... If you have access to a test light or a multimeter see if there is voltage at the connector for the bulb.

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
sticksout
Club Secretary
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 05:33:35 PM »

Thanks Zuke, didn't realize it could be a fuse....gonna go check.

2001 TJ Sahara - black
AutoTraker
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 05:41:35 PM »

I've had problems with corroded pigtails on the headlights because of the rubber boot. The boots retain moisture unless you've used a dialectric grease in them. My TJ and XJ both needed new pigtails and the XJ actually had the contact on the headlight rusted though.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

--
Rich...
Last count have 3 Jeeps. A CJ, TJ & a XJ.  Also got a Yota.
I Live in a Country Founded by Geniuses but Run by Idiots.
Central Virginia Jeepers
RCPFA
sticksout
Club Secretary
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 06:10:06 PM »

Took the HBL relay out and tested w/a volt tester. Looking down at the fuse box here's how the plug holes are situated. I'm guessing that since the right and left holes are giving me a strong bulb glow those are for the left high beam. The top (barely lit) and bottom (no light at all) maybe are for the right high beam. Nothing from the center hole either.

2001 TJ Sahara - black
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 09:55:06 PM »

Took the HBL relay out and tested w/a volt tester. Looking down at the fuse box here's how the plug holes are situated. I'm guessing that since the right and left holes are giving me a strong bulb glow those are for the left high beam. The top (barely lit) and bottom (no light at all) maybe are for the right high beam. Nothing from the center hole either.

The HBL Relay is the Rear Defroster relay... (Heated Back Light).

Now that I know we're talking about your Wrangler, There's only one fuse, and no headlight relay, it's just wired to power through the switch.... So If the fuse is good, I'm going to go with the Pig Tail, like others have said.

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 07:18:01 AM »

On the TJs if one bulb or portion of it is out, it is either the wiring, connector, or bulb.  I had one of mine corrode the wires and break off right at the connector.  The symptom I had was one hi-beam out.  When I checked it, it broke apart in my hand.  That's when I realized the whole connector needed replacing because each plug-in wire was green with corrosion and past saving.  You can get generic ones from the local auto parts stores or just order online if this is the issue.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
sticksout
Club Secretary
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 09:10:34 AM »

The HBL Relay is the Rear Defroster relay... (Heated Back Light).

Now that I know we're talking about your Wrangler, There's only one fuse, and no headlight relay, it's just wired to power through the switch.... So If the fuse is good, I'm going to go with the Pig Tail, like others have said.

Oof  lol, Heated Back Light....High Beam Light,  Laughing

2001 TJ Sahara - black
sticksout
Club Secretary
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 09:13:23 AM »

On the TJs if one bulb or portion of it is out, it is either the wiring, connector, or bulb.  I had one of mine corrode the wires and break off right at the connector.  The symptom I had was one hi-beam out.  When I checked it, it broke apart in my hand.  That's when I realized the whole connector needed replacing because each plug-in wire was green with corrosion and past saving.  You can get generic ones from the local auto parts stores or just order online if this is the issue.

Thanks Frank...I'll go ahead and get some new pigtails (may as well replace the left one too) and clean up the ends of the wire.

2001 TJ Sahara - black
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 09:39:13 AM »

Oof  lol, Heated Back Light....High Beam Light,  Laughing

Don't feel bad, I knew it was for the rear defroster, But I still had to look up what 'HBL' stood for!

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: