Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 10, 2018, 01:52:43 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metalcloak Lift vs. DPG Ultimate Hybrid Lift  (Read 501 times)
FridayGt
Member 2018
« on: August 14, 2018, 07:29:42 AM »

Hello Jeepers!

I'm hoping to gain some insight through a bit of technical discussion on two different lift kits. I've just recently gotten back from a deployment and a lift to the Jeep is my present to myself.  Propellar Head

I'm currently looking between two lift kits debating which is the better value for my money long term. My use is primarily a daily driver, but in time, my goal is to gather as many of the Jeep Badge of Honor Trail badges as I can as well as any and every bit of wheeling time allows me in my 4 door Willy's Wheeler 2017. I'll link the kits below and provide a brief description for your info as well. If I've overlooked a potential kit in this price range (or under) that you think I should be considering, please let me know!

The first kit I'm looking at is the DPG Ultimate Hybrid kit. It can be found herehttps://dpgoffroad.com/product/omejks-ultimate-jk-hybrid-kit/ and includes the following so far as I can tell from the site;
Kit includes:
4-OME Coils
JKS Adjustable Front & Rear Trackbars 
JKS Quicker Swaybar Disconnects
JKS Adjustable Rear Swaybar Links
JKS Brakeline Relocation Brackets

The listing shows that it corrects geometry, but I'm not seeing how just yet. It does include JKS quicker disconnects for the front sway bar and both front and rear track bars. For the price point it includes either OME shocks or Fox shocks, I'm not sure which is better.

The next kit I'm looking at is the Metalcloak True Dual-rate lift kit, Rocksport edition. It can be found herehttps://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Wrangler-True-Dual-Rate-Lift-Kit-RockSport-p/7127.htm and includes the following;
Rocksport shocks
Extended Brakelines
Upper Front Control Arms
Rear Trackbar mount
Front Trackbar
Bumpstop Kit
Outboard shock mounts
Rear swaybar drop bracket/ link kit
Swaybar quick disconnects
Dual Rate Coil Springs

I like that this kit uses some control arms to correct geometry and that it has dual rate springs. It does not include a rear trackbar and it can be argued that JKS' quicker disconnects are the best. Though I am currently leaning toward this kit.

Both companies list their kits as complete, though I would need to add exhaust spacers to either. With military discount and the fact that I would need to add Bumpstops to the DPG kit, I can get the Metalcloak kit a little cheaper. I have no experience between the various shock options and I'm not sure whether fox or OME shocks should make me lean toward one kit over the other. Do you all have any thoughts? Any experience with some of these parts over others? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I may do an install party once I get whichever kit I go with, the beer and pizza Gods will smile greatly upon you if I do!

z4iken
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
2016 JK
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 08:11:52 AM »

Hey bud,

We have a lot of guys who run Metalcloak in the club and are big fans. Ken, one of our members, runs Manassas Offroad, a 4x4 shop that is a Metalcloak dealer (that can get you a much better price on the MC lift than listed on the site if you're a member).

DPG looks to pick specific parts and put them together into a kit vs making it themselves. OME and JKS are both high quality brands. No issues with that, but for the price I'd lean towards MC (potentially w/ OME or Fox shocks). I also don't understand how they're saying they fix geometry, as the DPG kit needs either adjustable arms or drop brackets added.

Fox is one of the nicer shock brands, OME is good as well but (depending on which Fox) I'd say the Fox rides nicer (I know JDavis has run both, so maybe he'll pipe up).

The MC Rocksport shocks are fine if you're mostly a street rig as well.

I'd go MC but both are good kits.

The Jeremy Theorem: Just buy 35's the first time
The Bill Corrolary: Bill is always technically right
Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 10:26:24 AM »

Although I don't have a JK, the same applies between JK and TJ.  The OME springs and shocks tend to give you a softer ride.  The OME spring travel is not as much as the Metalcloak springs, which can lead to them coming unseated sooner.  Conversely, Metalcloak will ride a little stiffer, but the springs will stay seated better when fully extended.  Also, between the two kits, the Metalcloak track bars have the best clearance I've used.  Lastly, the addition of the lower control arm provides for some adjustment when doing the install.  Having installed multiple vendors kits across JKs, TJs, and LJs, Metalcloak is the only kit I put on my own Jeeps now.  FWIW, this is the internet and everyone has an opinion.  This just happens to be mine!   

Jeep Wave   

2004 Wrangler Unlimited - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
schreiberaj
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 12:08:11 PM »

Spend a little more and get yourself a kit with a full set of arms if you plan on wheeling this thing long term. You'll be happy you did. JJ's or MC joints are the way to go.

FridayGt
Member 2018
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 12:41:14 PM »

Thanks for the discussion folks! This is exactly the kind of detail I was hoping to gather and I really appreciate it.

From what I'm gathering it looks like the Metalcloak will not include a rear track bar, the quick disconnect front swaybar end links may not be as nice and the included nitrogen shocks may not be as nice. It will, however, correct geometry with control arms, have better spring travel and longevity, cost less, and have the potential for a smidge more clearance.

I'm not too worried about a stiffer ride. While this is my daily driver, my last daily driver before it was a '69 Dodge Dart GT that I rebuilt and my other car is a '72 Roadrunner. To be honest, driving the Jeep has been a luxury! lol.

Spend a little more and get yourself a kit with a full set of arms if you plan on wheeling this thing long term. You'll be happy you did. JJ's or MC joints are the way to go.

Did you have a specific kit in mind? What I'm tracking with the MC kits, another $1,000 is more than a little more for me. That's another full year of saving for me honestly and I can just upgrade to the full arms later for nearly the same amount.

AutoTraker
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 02:06:41 PM »

I'd go with DPG because they give you a cool embroidered OME cap.

Seriously,
Sure looks like you get more bang for the bucks from Metalcloak.
You can browse on-line about Metalcloak. Other than a bunch of complaints about slow shipping you'll probably not find anyone that has anyone negative to say about their products.
I would however call them and have them quote you the same kit substituting Fox shocks. The RockSport shocks are their house brand. Might even be made by OME, who knows?
I wouldn't worry about the lack of a rear trackbar. Probably you don't need it if they didn't include it.
Their guys are very knowledgeable. Ask them why they aren't including a read trackbar.
While my little Rubi is a TJ, I'm very satisfied with their lift. Quality is excellent and everyone I know who does have a Metalcloak regardless of the year or model have been very satisfied with their lifts. The few experiences I've had with products from OME have not been good ones. But then again I haven't personally used any of their products for quite a few years.   

--
Rich...
Last count have 3 Jeeps. A CJ, TJ & a XJ.  Also got a Yota.
I Live in a Country Founded by Geniuses but Run by Idiots.
Central Virginia Jeepers
RCPFA
Runner
Member 2018
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »

Thanks for the discussion folks! This is exactly the kind of detail I was hoping to gather and I really appreciate it.

From what I'm gathering it looks like the Metalcloak will not include a rear track bar, the quick disconnect front swaybar end links may not be as nice and the included nitrogen shocks may not be as nice. It will, however, correct geometry with control arms, have better spring travel and longevity, cost less, and have the potential for a smidge more clearance.

I'm not too worried about a stiffer ride. While this is my daily driver, my last daily driver before it was a '69 Dodge Dart GT that I rebuilt and my other car is a '72 Roadrunner. To be honest, driving the Jeep has been a luxury! lol.

Did you have a specific kit in mind? What I'm tracking with the MC kits, another $1,000 is more than a little more for me. That's another full year of saving for me honestly and I can just upgrade to the full arms later for nearly the same amount.

The Duroflex joint does provide a superior ride in terms of handling and vibration absorption. However, the fact that JKs/JLs are a newer design, and really a mid-arm setup, makes the full control arm kit less of a big deal for them up front.

2004 Wrangler Unlimited - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 02:40:36 PM »

I've got the OME kit from Dirk for my LJ. It's a great set up, and I wouldn't hesitate to get it again. He has just stared offering kits for JKs and while they are high quality parts, if you can afford metalcloak, get it. Talk to Ken and he'll save you a couple bucks too.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
R3
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 04:55:04 PM »

My two cents... Call metal cloak and talk to their guys. The company is great to chat with. Tell them what your build goal is and ask then straight up why should I buy yours?

What are the advantages for their kit over a kit with relocation brackets.
Earn from their engineers

I spent weeks researching and talking to companies. Metal cloak was the only one that hooked me up with their engineers...

Mine is a Daily driver... Off roader and just plain  fun to drive. 4.5 inch kit give a bit more ground clearance under the t case ..11 + inches of travel can't be beat. Have an issue they are Johnny on the spot and parts get overnighted. Recently had an issue with the drag link joint... Totally my fault... They upgraded the joint by sending me a complete drag link over night for free! Better company service you will be hard pressed to find.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 06:23:48 AM by VA6489 »

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
4.5 Metal cloak
37 BFG ATs
Dynatrac, PSC, Barnes, Ried, RCV....
next?

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
FridayGt
Member 2018
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 05:40:25 PM »

Thanks again everyone. Looks like my initial leanings were spot on, but it's good to hear from people that have both and customer service testimonials are always great.

I'll go with the metalcloak lift and upgrade the rest of the arms not in the kit later down the road.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: