Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 25, 2018, 11:49:41 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Leak!  (Read 260 times)
peppersarehot
Forum User
« on: July 11, 2018, 07:49:06 PM »

Ok, I'm in need of a little help.  When it comes to this stuff, I know just enough to be dangerous but I generally can work through things and fix them. I have a couple of issues, and If I'm going to fix them myself, I'm going to need some advice.

1. I recently change my oil on my 1980 CJ5 with the 4.2L 258 engine. I decided to go with 15w40 Shell Rotella that I had read about on a few forums.  I've only put about a 100 miles on it since the oil change, I've got a pretty sizable leak coming from where the engine connects to the transmission.  It only happens when it's driven for a while but when it does, it's even coming out of the shifter boot. It was leaking a little before the oil change but it's significantly worse now. In addition to that, my oil is already pretty dark which was alarming.

2. My oil pressure sits at 80 the whole time the jeep is on. It might sound dumb, but I just thought that was standard issue for the jeep until I started researching the oil leak issue. The only time it dips below 80 is the rare occasion that the engine idles below 500rpms or so.  I know that this entire description is vague, and I'm happy to provide more description if necessary but I'm just looking for a place to troubleshoot the issue.

Is this something I can handle with limited tools or does it sound destined for a shop to take care of it? I much prefer the former.  Any advice is sorely appreciated!

Dropkick
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
Manassas, VA
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 08:04:58 PM »

I'm not all that familiar with that engine but rear main seal comes to mind. I'm sure the more knowledgeable folks here will know. Godspeed

WWW Logged

Shamus

'09JKU
Davetopay
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 08:43:26 PM »

Start by checking your PCV system to make sure it is functioning properly and evacuating any blow by from inside the engine. If it is not working, pressure will build up as the engine runs and start pushing oil out the path of least resistance.

I think I saw a thing, but I don't know what thing I thought I saw.
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 06:05:32 AM »

Exactly what dave said. Are you SURE it is coming from between?  Mine likes to leak from the back of the valve cover and run down the back. I thought it was my rear main seal but it was not.

Since I have replaced that gasket, it now like to leak out at the oil fill plug. Good luck. Blow by is not good. I have already replaced one 4.2 liter motors due to needing a ring job.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
RattleTrap55
Member 2018
84 CJ7
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 08:11:47 AM »

What Dave and Dain said - a blocked PCV will also cause higher than normal oil pressure. The FSM calls for 36-41 PSI at 2000 rpm. My 258 is new and the actual oil pressure is 45 PSI with an accurate gauge but the gauge in the jeep reads a little higher.

The valve cover gasket leaks on the 258 are a common problem with your engine.

Garner

3.5 Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
Davetopay
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 10:05:45 AM »

What Dave and Dain said - a blocked PCV will also cause higher than normal oil pressure. The FSM calls for 36-41 PSI at 2000 rpm. My 258 is new and the actual oil pressure is 45 PSI with an accurate gauge but the gauge in the jeep reads a little higher.

Garner

Bingo.

If your valve cover is leaking and you don't want to ever mess with it, get the blue ribbed rubber gasket from felpro. $40- ish. If you would rather work on it than spend money on it, get the OE style cork gasket and seal it with a small amount of RTV. $15-ish. Thumbs Up

I think I saw a thing, but I don't know what thing I thought I saw.
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 10:37:35 AM »

Garner

Bingo.

If your valve cover is leaking and you don't want to ever mess with it, get the blue ribbed rubber gasket from felpro. $40- ish. If you would rather work on it than spend money on it, get the OE style cork gasket and seal it with a small amount of RTV. $15-ish. Thumbs Up

Or if you have my Jeep, you get the blue one, and still have leaks show up a year later and have to replace it anyway because the corner gets pushed out due to the pressure. Wink

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
peppersarehot
Forum User
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 08:12:54 PM »

Thanks everyone. After inspecting everything, I there actually isn't a PVC valve there. It just appears to be a hose going to the bottom of the carb. I ordered one tonight and I'll post back when I put it in.

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: