Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 06, 2019, 09:06:38 AM

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking a Jeep Hauler Rental  (Read 4719 times)
peppersarehot
Forum User
« on: July 24, 2018, 11:41:26 PM »

Sorry if this has been gone over a million times, but I'm new to the group. I'd love to come to Rausch Creek this weekend, but I'm not going to drive my CJ-5 there. I was wondering if renting a U-Haul tow dolly is my best option.  I have a capable tow vehicle. Thanks for any advice.

ogre45
Member 2019
Winchester,VA
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 05:53:15 AM »

If your not looking to buy one, then yes. U-haul or Penske are your best options. I've never trailered up, but I've seen some folks rent U-hauls just for that.

Alex
1969 Jeepster Commando 2in lift, always in work
2018 JKU Golden Eagle, Rancho 2in progressive springs
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 07:21:24 AM »

I rented a dolly for Camp Heep 2 years ago. Worked out fine. I actually rented the pickup truck and the dolly.

I have since purchased a well used f250 and hope to get my own trailer soon. But for now I will continue to rent as I need.

I am going to drive the CJ up this year. Fingers crossed.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 07:25:35 AM »

No one said it yet. But don't get the dolly get the full trailer. The dolly doesn't work well with 4wd.

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 07:27:26 AM »

No one said it yet. But don't get the dolly get the full trailer. The dolly doesn't work well with 4wd.

It is not the best, but it can be done. My issue was that at u-haul, to get the full trailer, they made me rent a box truck. To use a pickup truck, they only let me rent the dolly. They do have their games you have to play.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

highlandercj-7
Member 2019
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 07:45:34 AM »

Depends on how much you want to spend. The trailer is the best option but if you need to go cheaper a dolley will work.

HighlanderCJ-7
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 08:02:10 AM »

It is not the best, but it can be done. My issue was that at u-haul, to get the full trailer, they made me rent a box truck. To use a pickup truck, they only let me rent the dolly. They do have their games you have to play.

Really?  If this is true it's new to me with U-Haul.  I know Penske has been doing this for years but I've never heard of U-Haul mandating box truck rental for a flat-tow trailer.

In fact, I've seen Youtube clips recently (newly uploaded clips) showing people towing flat trailers with their personal vehicles.  Someone was playing games with you indeed.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
overhead
Club President
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 08:38:20 AM »

Really?  If this is true it's new to me with U-Haul.  I know Penske has been doing this for years but I've never heard of U-Haul mandating box truck rental for a flat-tow trailer.

In fact, I've seen Youtube clips recently (newly uploaded clips) showing people towing flat trailers with their personal vehicles.  Someone was playing games with you indeed.

Dain had to rent the pick up too. Not his personal

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 08:42:58 AM »

This was the one in Chantilly. I have gotten the same from one in Sterling. But I will say that when I got the trailer to pick up the 3a, they let me use the flat trailer with their GMC 1500. I asked and they said the 3a was light enough but the Scrambler was not. Supposedly, the combined weight of the trailer and Scrambler was too much for the 1500. But a Scrambler and dolly was not.

When I picked up the Impala from Danville, I had to get a box truck as well. And the smallest that they had was a 15 footer. That and a trailer was fun.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Davetopay
Forum User
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 09:53:30 AM »

This was the one in Chantilly. I have gotten the same from one in Sterling. But I will say that when I got the trailer to pick up the 3a, they let me use the flat trailer with their GMC 1500. I asked and they said the 3a was light enough but the Scrambler was not. Supposedly, the combined weight of the trailer and Scrambler was too much for the 1500. But a Scrambler and dolly was not.

When I picked up the Impala from Danville, I had to get a box truck as well. And the smallest that they had was a 15 footer. That and a trailer was fun.

This is exactly why any time I have had to haul a car with one of these rentals, I tell them I am moving a 67 Karman Ghia. ROTFLMAO

I think I saw a thing, but I don't know what thing I thought I saw.
RattleTrap55
Member 2019
84 CJ7
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 12:03:23 PM »

I am not a big fan of a car dolly as it has no brakes. You can rent a car hauler for less than $50 a day. I have rented the u-haul car haulers several times they tow nice enough and they have brakes. They have a low profile making loading easy and safe. Go with the hauler if you have vehicle capable of towing it.

Just one guy's opinion

Garner

PS: I am trailering the CJ to Raush because it is too far without air conditioning for +1.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:29:01 PM by RattleTrap55 »

4" Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Smittybilt 9,500 Winch
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
2002 TJ Sahara w/Very Rusted Frame
AutoTraker
Forum User
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 01:47:46 PM »

Kind of hard to tow a vehicle with a car dolly that has been broken during a day of wheeling.
Which happens quite often.
Better to spend the extra and rent a trailer and know you'll be able to get your rig home.

--
Rich...
Last count have 3 Jeeps. A CJ, TJ & a XJ.  Also got a Yota.
I Live in a Country Founded by Geniuses but Run by Idiots.
Central Virginia Jeepers
RCPFA
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 02:43:59 PM »

Kind of hard to tow a vehicle with a car dolly that has been broken during a day of wheeling.
Which happens quite often.
Better to spend the extra and rent a trailer and know you'll be able to get your rig home.

But where os the challenge in that?  Smile

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

RattleTrap55
Member 2019
84 CJ7
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 02:58:15 PM »

Interesting - I reserved a car hauler a few weeks ago at the Lorton u-haul on Terminal Road for this weekend because I was not sure if I would have the "community trailer" ready in time for Heep - all they asked was if I would be towing with the GMC Yukon (I am in the system), but they did not asked what I would be hauling.... The good news is I was able to get the trailer ready allowing me to cancel the u-haul....

Maybe it is time to purchase a NOVA Jeeper Trailer Dunno?

4" Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Smittybilt 9,500 Winch
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
2002 TJ Sahara w/Very Rusted Frame
overhead
Club President
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 03:08:31 PM »

Interesting - I reserved a car hauler a few weeks ago at the Lorton u-haul on Terminal Road for this weekend because I was not sure if I would have the "community trailer" ready in time for Heep - all they asked was if I would be towing with the GMC Yukon (I am in the system), but they did not asked what I would be hauling.... The good news is I was able to get the trailer ready allowing me to cancel the u-haul....

Maybe it is time to purchase a NOVA Jeeper Trailer Dunno?

Tried that game. Lost it.

Who pays for insurance when it's not behind a vehicle?
Who pays for the trailer
Who get reimbursed if it gets stolen or destroyed
Where is a central location in the area for all of us.
How do we get it to people who want to borrow it.
Who gets first dibs
Who makes the calls when there's debate on who is supposed to have it or when it's supposed to be returned.

If we take it as a club to rausch for the just in case at camp heap who gets to tow it? What if it brakes on the way up there who pays for the repairs. What if it brakes the truck. What if.......

I tried to go in with three friends to buy a trailer. It was safer. cheaper and easier for me to buy it and them pay to rent or borrow it. It's not something that's an easy thing to buy as a club.

But man did I try for a while back in the day.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: