Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 14, 2019, 01:04:47 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Va. lighting inspection rules  (Read 7565 times)
wbsjp
Member 2018
« on: July 31, 2018, 11:50:53 AM »

New Inspection effective 7/1/18
Bulletin # 379,    19VAC30-70-160
UN-covered lights in compliance Must be Clear Lens
NO addition approval eg(SAE, DOT,ect)All lamps must work
any without wiring ,considered decorative.
Still only 4 lights on at a time.

Wayne
  AARP,NAXJA,NRA Endowment member
"the cost of Freedom isn,t Free"
RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 12:31:56 PM »

Except for fog light color that is still in affect:

"c. The lens is other than clear or amber. Fog lamps may have black-end bulbs or small metal caps over the end of the bulb"

I guess they wiped out the verbiage about other lights (not DOT or SAE marked) that are on an additional "approved" list the Superintendent has.  Makes easier to inspect at a traffic stop by LEOs.

You still have this part on the main lighting law as near as I can tell:

9VAC30-70-570. Permissible Lighting Equipment.
B. Inspect for and reject if:
1. Lamps are not of an approved type (DOT or SAE-P2, P3, PC)

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
wbsjp
Member 2018
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 02:32:40 PM »

according to the paper I read from the official inspectors book,,DOT,SAE etc  does not matter. It must just light to be OK.

Wayne
RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 06:24:36 AM »

I'm just quoting what the current VA Code says from Municode which is always updated the following day a law is enacted or modified by the State.  Perhaps whoever wrote the bulletin didn't quite understand.  It wouldn't surprise me if a second bulletin came out.

It would really surprise me if VA stopped mandating that we use "approved" lights unless they think it is too much trouble to enforce it.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Clifford04X
Forum User
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 08:22:36 AM »

They still have to be DOT/SAE approved for purpose they were approved by.  After the DOT number it will have a letter h=headlight m=marker light etc.  thats line #1 under auxiliary lights  inspect and reject if.

04 TJ, 5.5" Clayton long arm, Waggy 44 front, 8.8 Rear, 5.13's, Lockers, NP241OR, 36 iroks, Allied beadlocks, Hydro assist, Warn bumpers/sliders, M8000 winch.
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 11:09:49 AM »

I wish we could see the full text of this bulletin, I googled without luck, maybe someone else has had better luck? What we've got so far is just incomplete sentences, that going by the first word, only applies to UN-Covered lights.

In the past I and inspectors I've talked to always interpreted that a covered light didn't have to meet any rules for wiring, DOT, SAE Markings or anything, that all the rest of the rules are for UN-covered lights.

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
Clifford04X
Forum User
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 11:55:44 AM »

The inspectors manual is on the VSP website.  That's what we use at the shop.  You are correct though.  A light that is covered with an acceptable cover is to be ignored as a light.

04 TJ, 5.5" Clayton long arm, Waggy 44 front, 8.8 Rear, 5.13's, Lockers, NP241OR, 36 iroks, Allied beadlocks, Hydro assist, Warn bumpers/sliders, M8000 winch.
RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 12:05:25 PM »

Here's what I posted on the other page until someone provides what the new is, if any:

For your protection until someone PROVES otherwise (by an official document), I would follow this at a minimum. 
Rule 1:

9VAC30-70-570. Permissible Lighting Equipment.
B. Inspect for and reject if:
1. Lamps are not of an approved type (DOT or SAE-P2, P3, PC)

C. There is no limit on the number of backup lamps that a vehicle may have so long as they are of an approved type (SAE-R).

D. No more than four lamps, including two headlamps, may be lighted at any time to provide general illumination ahead of the vehicle.

and:

Fog light color:
"c. The lens is other than clear or amber. Fog lamps may have black-end bulbs or small metal caps over the end of the bulb"

and:

I. Inspect for and reject if:

1. Vehicle has an auxiliary lamp being used for a purpose other than for which it was approved.

EXCEPTION: Any lighting device that is both covered and not illuminated, other than lamps required, shall not be considered for inspection. Fog and driving lamps mounted below the level of the regular headlamps must be checked for aim as outlined in subdivisions I 10 i and I 11 g of this section if not covered.

NOTE: The covers shall be a type that would be installed as original equipment and not tape, paper bags, aluminum foil or similar materials per subdivision I 11 g (2) of this section.

and:

g. Any driving lamp is mounted above the level of the regular headlamps, or is not mounted firmly to prevent excessive vibration;

h. Driving lamps are not wired so that they will burn only when the high beams of the regular headlamps are activated;

i. Driving lamps are not aimed so that the center of the hot spot drops three inches in 25 feet so that the hot spot is directly ahead of the lamp.

Taken from here so read it yourself.  Perhaps it has not been updated yet (which would be odd):

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title19/agency30/chapter70/section160/

- Frank
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 01:42:21 PM »

Here's what I posted on the other page until someone provides what the new is, if any:

EXCEPTION: Any lighting device that is both covered and not illuminated, other than lamps required, shall not be considered for inspection.

Taken from here so read it yourself.  Perhaps it has not been updated yet (which would be odd):

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title19/agency30/chapter70/section160/

Yup, and the key is what's in bold in the quote above. If you properly cover your light that is not used on the road, and it doesn't light up without it's own switch, IT IS NOT CONSIDERED. Wiring, Lens Color, Certifications, are all irrelevant for that light.

Moral of the story. If you don't have to have a light for inspection, (It's not OEM to the vehicle, like headlights and markers.), Get a proper cover for it and put it on for inspections, then you don't have to worry about all the other stuff.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 01:51:53 PM by zuke »

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
wbsjp
Member 2018
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 03:25:10 PM »

The major point of my post and the new inspection code is.
NO lights have to be covered. No lights need a SAE or DOT approval .
Limit is still 4 on at a time.
Your light bar is now legal.

Wayne
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 03:54:38 PM »

Any Idea where we can find an actual copy of said document?

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
wbsjp
Member 2018
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 07:51:38 AM »

Any Idea where we can find an actual copy of said document?
The inspector/owner of the shop showed me in his official inspection manual.

Wayne
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »

I don't know how the bulletins work, if they get incorporated into the VSP online regs on the effective date, or the station has to hold onto and follow the bulletin for a period... The VSP online regs don't incorporate what you are saying right now, and I can't find any mention of the bulletins on line at all. If I can't produce the reg/bulletin, I'm still at the mercy of the inspector.

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
Clifford04X
Forum User
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 11:46:43 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clifford04X
Forum User
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 11:49:10 AM »

Did some diggin at lunch.  Note, this does not make auxiliary lights legal.  There are lots of things that pass safety inspection that you could be ticketed for.  (Mufflers, window tint etc.).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 12:18:15 PM by Clifford04X »

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: