Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 13, 2019, 05:18:41 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Va. lighting inspection rules  (Read 7558 times)
RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 01:15:09 PM »

Interesting - thanks for finding it.  We will have to see how this is incorporated with the clause that they can't be above the headlights and no more than the possibility of 4 forward lights lit at any given time.  Those rules will probably stay in place.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 01:29:30 PM »

Thanks for digging that up and posting it, Clifford04X!

I read it pretty much the same way WBSjp did. Auxilary lights don't have to be covered, and don't have to be certified, If not covered, they have to work, or not be wired up.

Not sure how they are going to square that with 'no more than 4 forward lights can be on' as an inspection criteria, that would imply that the wiring arrangement of the lights has too prevent that from being a possibility, which would mean they had to be wired into the high beams, and only two could be added that way (if the vehicle already has factory Fogs)

Oh well, I've already got my covers, I'll keep putting them on before inspections...

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
Clifford04X
Forum User
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 01:56:17 PM »

Auxiliary lights are just that.  They are lights that are not standard operating lights (truck bed work lights, off road lights etc.). If they are wired up as driving lights or headlights they fall under that catagory and would need to be DOT approved etc etc. 

04 TJ, 5.5" Clayton long arm, Waggy 44 front, 8.8 Rear, 5.13's, Lockers, NP241OR, 36 iroks, Allied beadlocks, Hydro assist, Warn bumpers/sliders, M8000 winch.
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 02:00:48 PM »

Auxiliary lights are just that.  They are lights that are not standard operating lights (truck bed work lights, off road lights etc.). If they are wired up as driving lights or headlights they fall under that catagory and would need to be DOT approved etc etc. 

Got it, so those two cubes lights up by the windshield hinges so many people have are still driving lights, and subject to the same rules they were last year....

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 02:08:39 PM »

The current language says this.  I think we need to see how they put it all together in paragraph form.

19VAC30-70-160. Auxiliary Lamps: Backup; Cornering; Driving; Fog; Spot and Warning.

A. Auxiliary lamps on a vehicle consist of seven general types: backup lamps (SAE-R), cornering lamps (SAE-K), driving lamps (SAE-Y), front fog lamps with an amber or clear lens (SAE-F and rear fog lamps with red lens (SAE-F2), spot lamps (SAE-O), warning lamps (SAE-W, W2, W3), and daytime running lamps (DRLs) (SAE-Y2).

I would think the SAE designation no longer matters but the more general rules apply (below headlights and quantity).  It would really surprise me if they now have decided to let people drive around with a 52" light bar uncovered.  I could see drivers flashing them at others all the time.  Talk about road-rage.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Clifford04X
Forum User
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 07:21:29 PM »

Yea I'm not sure either.  I work on diesel trucks so luckily I don't have to deal with this kind of stuff.  I'll ask the trooper next time he stops by.

04 TJ, 5.5" Clayton long arm, Waggy 44 front, 8.8 Rear, 5.13's, Lockers, NP241OR, 36 iroks, Allied beadlocks, Hydro assist, Warn bumpers/sliders, M8000 winch.
Phoenix45
Forum User
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2019, 11:38:02 AM »

My son just went to two different places today to get my JK inspected.  He was turned away from both because the bumper-mounted LEDs weren't covered.
These are the same lights I've had mounted and uncovered since 2015 (or earlier) without issue at previous inspections. They are clear LEDs.
The sad part is the last place he went was the same location that did the inspection last year, without any issue with the lights. This was the Shell in Gateway Center, Gainesville.

I called the place and spoke with the Inspector, he was not aware of the Bulletin or the new regulations.  When I read the text verbatim he told me "That's not how I understand it."  He then fell back on the lights being SAE approved.  I asked if he even looked at the lights and he said no.  So how did he know if they are SAE approved or not? (they are)

I looked at the Oct 18 Manual (newest version), it doesn't appear the language has changed from what is posted above.

I'm pissed now, and putting together an email for the State Trooper...

I might as well get covers to slap on there once a year... It is a shame a few ignorant inspectors give the rest a bad name.

1973 CJ-5
1988 Wrangler YJ
1999 Grand Cherokee Limited
2010 Wrangler Unlimited
dave2002ti
Member 2019
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2019, 03:16:58 PM »

If you live close to VA State Police barracks on Braddock Rd you can talk to the trooper there about your inspection issues.

I did many years ago when I ahd issues with the gas station in Burke and nearly deaf inspection guy.

Station got a phone call from the trooper and I got an inspection sticker.

Dave Apker

Ta Tonka
Member 2019
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2019, 05:28:23 PM »

h. Driving lamps are not wired so that they will burn only when the high beams of the regular headlamps are activated;

So...this (above) still means that lamps / bars have to be wired such that they only work when the high beams are on right?

zuke
Forum User
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2019, 06:08:52 PM »

h. Driving lamps are not wired so that they will burn only when the high beams of the regular headlamps are activated;

So...this (above) still means that lamps / bars have to be wired such that they only work when the high beams are on right?

It means that if you have an auxiliary light that is designated as a 'Headlight' (Driving Lamps are) they must be wired so that they only can come on when the high beams are on.

Also, if you have an arrangement where your vehicle has both the High Beams and Low beams on when in High (Lots of vehicles do) then you can't have another set of lights burning at that point, so they can't be on even in High because of the 4 forward lamps rule.

Light Bars are not Driving lamps, so this doesn't apply to them.

Even if you have Driving Lamps (Not to be confused with Fog Lamps, which should only come on with the high beams off) But they are covered at inspection, this doesn't apply to them....

Really, I just get covers for anything that isn't OEM, and remove all doubt, a covered lamp is not inspected.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:30:02 PM by zuke »

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
SLS TJ
Forum User
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2019, 08:14:44 AM »

I have a question for the inspectors. Not headlight/driving light, but still light related. I have flat fenders to put on my TJ if I ever get around to it. They have a provision for and I have front signals for them. Are side marker/signals required for inspection in Va?

RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 08:32:06 AM »

I'm not an inspector, but from the VA Code I would say they are required (but you might get away with not having them on any given day)....

Inspect for and reject if:
1. Any motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer or other vehicle is not equipped with clearance lamps if the vehicle is over seven feet wide or if any portion extends four inches or more outside the front fender line.

2. Lamps (DOT or SAE-P2, P3, PC, or PC2) or reflectors (DOT or SAE-A or B) are not of an approved type or a lamp has been altered.

11. Any vehicle is not equipped with two front side marker lights (amber) and two rear side marker lights (red).

12. Any vehicle is not equipped with two front side reflectors (amber), two rear side reflectors (red), and two reflectors mounted on the rear (red).

Jeep markers have a built-in reflector in the lens (so do most others).  Having only the lights in the front grill will not meet this requirement.  As for what you say "front signals" do you have a pic?  If they are recessed they may not meet the code.  Our rear lights are actually on the back but can be seen from the side so they are legal since they are OEM.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title19/agency30/chapter70/section180/

« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 08:33:55 AM by RFH_98TJ »

- Frank
SLS TJ
Forum User
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2019, 09:25:39 AM »

I have metalcloak fenders to install.https://metalcloak.com/overline-tube-fender-pair-tj-lj.html If you scroll down the page you can see the lights. My fenders however, do not have the provision for side markers. I could get someone to weld a tab on. Not even sure I like the small LED, and considered installing larger lights in the grill, CJ style. That still leaves me needing side markers, as it's spelled out in the portion you highlighted in the code.

RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2019, 10:22:46 AM »

The picture I see shows separate front and side markers.  Looks like they are the ones i see at Tractor Supply hanging on the wall.  They may or may not be "legal" in VA.  I have seen others mount larger LEDs on the outer edge of the tube by drilling an taping the fender tube for machine screws (or holes for sheet metal screws).  You can even run the wire inside the tube if you want to fish the wire.

Halfway down is a method to add some side markers:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/tube-fenders-with-blinkers.14864/

Here is a pic of some pretty nice markers that can be found at Tractor Supply I think:
https://genright.com/products/led-stealth-marker-blinker-light-kit-4-light.html or
https://genright.com/products/led-stealth-side-marker-light-kit-2-light.html

- Frank
AutoTraker
Forum User
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2019, 11:27:00 AM »

I just had my Jeep fail because of the 3rd brake light.
It use to be if there was a light it had to work but if there was no light or socket it didn't have to work.
I never put it back after installing a custom tire carrier and the inspector failed it.
He showed me in the book where the regulation said it must have a 3rd brake light.
Also same thing for marker lights, if the light isn't there it didn't need to work.
Now it says you must have marker lights.
Very confusing when its been one way for years and suddenly you fail cause they changed a regulation.

--
Rich...
Last count have 3 Jeeps. A CJ, TJ & a XJ.  Also got a Yota.
I Live in a Country Founded by Geniuses but Run by Idiots.
Central Virginia Jeepers
RCPFA
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: