Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 13, 2018, 11:06:26 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do to your Jeep today? August 2018  (Read 4566 times)
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 06:26:10 AM »

I got the Trailblazer horn set installed last night.  Nice loud horn set - good note.  The wire gauge was somewhat thin on these and I had the connector with them so I didn't use a relay.  I think I will still be on the lookout for a Cadillac 70s 4-horn set just for the fun of it (and yes I know to use relays for those).

I already built a set of PVC train horns for someday when I have onboard air.  Those things are awesome!  I think they border on being illegal in VA though.  What you can see, you don't know...

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
RattleTrap55
Member 2018
84 CJ7
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 01:32:47 PM »

Added a steering box support and replaced the drop pitman arm with a standard pitman arm.

While watching a video of the CJ at Rausch I was stunned to see how much the steering box moved & flexed when under stress. I decided I need to do something about the movement before the steering and frame are permanently damaged.

I replaced the drop pitman arm with a stock pitman arm to re-position control and reduce the moment arm. Then I installed a Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Steering Box brace as a reinforcement for the standard mount and reduce as much as possible any lateral movement when the steering box is under stress..

Wow - what a difference it made in the steer and tracking of the CJ. The steering is crisp and the wandering has disappeared making for a more enjoyable driver. It would appear box move under normal driving loads most like cased by the over size tires.

This may be one of the better eighty bucks I've spent (RR Steering Support $60/Pitman arm $20)......

Garner

3.5 Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 02:02:14 PM »

Added a steering box support and replaced the drop pitman arm with a standard pitman arm.

While watching a video of the CJ at Rausch I was stunned to see how much the steering box moved & flexed when under stress. I decided I need to do something about the movement before the steering and frame are permanently damaged.

I replaced the drop pitman arm with a stock pitman arm to re-position control and reduce the moment arm. Then I installed a Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Steering Box brace as a reinforcement for the standard mount and reduce as much as possible any lateral movement when the steering box is under stress..

Wow - what a difference it made in the steer and tracking of the CJ. The steering is crisp and the wandering has disappeared making for a more enjoyable driver. It would appear box move under normal driving loads most like cased by the over size tires.

This may be one of the better eighty bucks I've spent (RR Steering Support $60/Pitman arm $20)......

Garner

Hmmm. I am going to have to take a closer look at that setup.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
sticksout
Club Secretary
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »

Changed the oil....always the easiest thing I have to do on the Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2001 TJ Sahara - black
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 11:11:59 AM »

Driving the JKU back from FL. Man is it a much more comfortable Jeep to drive long distances than the CJ

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

z4iken
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
2016 JK
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 11:44:56 AM »

Driving the JKU back from FL. Man is it a much more comfortable Jeep to drive long distances than the CJ

You know you could drive it into work every day, save gas $, and use the saved $ to fix the Scrambler...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 12:26:08 PM by z4iken »

The Jeremy Theorem: Just buy 35's the first time
The Bill Corrolary: Bill is always technically right
ogre45
Member 2018
Winchester,VA
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 12:24:23 PM »

Drove it with the top down for once! Dog gone rain.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Alex
1969 Jeepster Commando in work
2018 JKU Golden Eagle,Teraflex leveling kit, EVO oil and trans skid
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2018, 02:09:45 PM »

You know you could drive it into work every day, save gas $, and use the saved $ to fix the Scrambler...

That is an option. But I prefer to drive the Scrambler, and it will be the vehicle my daughter drives while at college

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Squints
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2018, 02:41:26 PM »

Took a friend on Peters Mill on Saturday on a solo run.  Initially planned on Flagpole but with all the rain and me being a solo Jeep decided Peters Mill a safer (but still fun outing with all the past rain), route.  Was not disappointed.

Encountered a single '18 Wangler and a group of 6 or so out of Hampton Roads.  Heard everyone was in Winchester?

I did manage to hurt the Jeep.  Everything seems tight and unbroken but the steering is terrible!  VERY spongy, wants to drift all over.  Possible bad steering box? or pitman arm?  Gues I'll have Pro Trucks or Big Snatch check it out Monday.

Still.........had lots of fun!

OH!  I forgot, I painted the front D-rings orange to match the "Mountain" decal on the hood.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 02:44:08 PM by Squints »

2010 Wangler Mountain
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2018, 03:32:38 PM »

I vote big snatch. But get underneath with someone moving through steering back and forth and you'll usually be able to at least kinda see what the problem is

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
DAMTALL
Thread Jackin' 24/7
Committee: Events
JEEP stands for Personal Freedom and Happiness!!
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2018, 07:36:22 PM »

I had the Cadillac horns fixed and rewired.  Seems a bad ground was causing the issue.  My "bad" Truck Lite fixed itself.  I'm hanging onto the single just in case.

Big Mike - 2012 JKU Crush, 2.5" Teraflex Lift with Shocks, JKS Quick Discos, RockHard4x4 Skids and Evap Relocation Bracket, JCR Crusader Bumpers (mid-width front, mid-width rear with tire carrier), SmittyBilt h2o winch, 16x8 ATX wheels with 315-75-16 General Grabber AT2's.
Davetopay
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 07:21:16 AM »

On Saturday, I filled it with two jockey boxes, two co2 tanks, four ice tubs, a 10x10 tent, bags of general stuff, and four kegs. Today I get to return and unload all of that stuff.

I think I saw a thing, but I don't know what thing I thought I saw.
sticksout
Club Secretary
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 07:35:35 AM »

On Saturday, I filled it with two jockey boxes, two co2 tanks, four ice tubs, a 10x10 tent, bags of general stuff, and four kegs. Today I get to return and unload all of that stuff.

Buffett concert?

2001 TJ Sahara - black
BlueKJ
Member 2018
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2018, 07:32:51 PM »

Did the timing belt and water pump on the diesel liberty over the weekend. Wasn’t as bad as I was expecting with it in the jeep still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davetopay
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2018, 07:23:24 AM »

Buffett concert?

Had to work the Lorton Workhouse Brewfest

I think I saw a thing, but I don't know what thing I thought I saw.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: