Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
August 17, 2018, 07:50:18 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 12V to 110V Conversion  (Read 184 times)
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Richmond, VA
« on: August 09, 2018, 12:11:02 PM »

Picked up a CJ grill yesterday with the intent of making it a hanging light for the garage/man cave. Has anybody here done a 12V to 110V conversion on one of these, and can give me some tips on what's needed?

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
sticksout
Club Secretary
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 12:13:41 PM »

I plan on doing the same thing to the one I picked up last year....but haven't yet.

2001 TJ Sahara - black
PanteraPilot
Member 2018
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 01:55:42 PM »

I suggest leaving the 12 volt lights in it.  Use a 12 volt power supply to power the lights.

A power supply like this will work, but there are many other choices for a power supply.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-1216-12V-Power-Converter/dp/B0066COXY0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533845579&sr=8-1&keywords=15+amp+power+supply

To do the math..... Add up the total wattage of the two lights and divide by the voltage output of the power supply (a 12 volt power supply usually puts out about 13.5 volts).  The answer you get is the current or amps that are required for the power supply.

Just plug the power supply into the wall and run a couple of wires up to the lights.

...and just as comparison, a couple of weeks ago I bout a good used 12 volt 20 amp power supply for $20.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 03:21:58 PM by PanteraPilot »

majestek12
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 03:03:43 PM »

I made a light like this a couple months ago with an old Ford F100 Grill. I looked into the power supplies and the AC to DC conversion and the ones needed to really effectively run the lights would have been quite expensive to get the wattage that you need to run the lights at their designed power. What I ended up doing and wound up being a lot less expensive was removing the headlight buckets and picking up two 6 inch clamp lights from Home Depot. I'm assuming it will be a hanging light so just put the clamp lights behind the headlight holes and it works out beautifully, you'll be the only one to know the difference. If you really want to go for the sealed enclosure look just get some flood lights with the wider front of the bulb.

RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 08:26:37 AM »

I would think you would want to drop the voltage way down so they are accent lighting and not "real" headlights unless you are planning on lighting the garage with them.  Look into some of the low voltage lawn stuff or even old cell phone chargers.  All of this stuff is DC current which is what you need.  Just cut the end off and use wire nuts or solder it up.  Shouldn't cost too much - or maybe free.  A lot of thrift stores (the Woodbridge one by Lowes) have electronic sections with lots of random stuff in bags for cheap (like cell chargers, computer speaker power supplies, calculator power supplies, etc.).

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Richmond, VA
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 09:49:21 AM »

Yeah Frank I think I'm probably leaning the route you went so as not to have the full power of the headlights beaming out at me.

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 10:17:08 AM »

...was removing the headlight buckets and picking up two 6 inch clamp lights from Home Depot. I'm assuming it will be a hanging light so just put the clamp lights behind the headlight holes and it works out beautifully, you'll be the only one to know the difference...

That's an interesting idea too.  You could then just choose the wattage you want.  Maybe 15w to 40w. Cheers

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
majestek12
Forum User
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 08:38:31 PM »

I misunderstood. I set mine up as an actual "light" to light the garage workshop, suspended from the ceiling. Sounds like you want a wall hanger. Definitely don't want full wattage shining at you if that's the case. As well, you may have clearance issues having the grille sit flush against the wall due to the extra height of the clamp lights. But, like RFH said you can just get low wattage lights of your choice if you do go the clamp light route. Won't have to deal with fan noise from the power converter as well, some are quite loud.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:20:19 PM by majestek12 »

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: