Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
October 15, 2018, 07:20:43 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 97 TJ I6 Exhaust fun  (Read 230 times)
packinnova
Forum User
« on: August 10, 2018, 12:43:13 PM »

I noticed the last couple of months(yeah I know..it's hot out) the FrankenTJ is getting WAY too hot driving for more than 20 minutes(needle's pushing halfway between 210 and the redline) and the floor pan gets so hot you can probably cook an egg(so hot plastic water bottles in the cup holder try to evap) and it didn't get this bad last summer.  I'm not loosing coolant and the fan and clutch are good.  Water pump, thermostat and cap already replaced last year as well so those are damn near brand new.

I'm guessing the cat is clogging up or something although it still has plenty of go.  It already had what seems to be a 40 series flowmaster catback setup when I bought this one I guess going on 2 years ago now.  That flowmaster is loud as heck when I really open it up.

I figured next weekend I'd cut everything out and replace as necessary. Grab a Wrench!  What's everyone's thoughts on replacements?  Anything that still has a decently open flow, but isn't so loud that I feel like a turd driving through the neighborhood late at night? Twisted Evil

WWW Logged

'97 Franken-TJ
6" lift and 35's
My Jeep Life Tees and Hoodies:
https://rdbl.co/2mDSQmV
packinnova
Forum User
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 01:57:19 PM »

starting to think I should just yank it all and go back to oem/stock then at least I can hear myself think too going down the highway...

WWW Logged

'97 Franken-TJ
6" lift and 35's
My Jeep Life Tees and Hoodies:
https://rdbl.co/2mDSQmV
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 07:05:08 PM »

I put in an Eastern cat from rock auto and like it. Seems to be popular with the forum guys and it's held up well for going on 2 years now.

Replacing them is a pita though, so start spraying bolts now and get yourself the longest possible extension you can find. Use the extention to come at the bolts from the underside otherwise you'll end up busting your knuckles all day.

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 07:31:54 AM »

One consideration for the hot cup holder.  On my '98 I just discovered this.  The second shift boot that is secured to the tunnel was falling apart and letting out side air in.  Apparently it has been doing it for a while.  It just started to burn my toes pretty bad.  The air from around the engine, mixed with just outside, air comes thru under the console right at the shifter.  120 degree highway temp, add some engine heat, you get the pic.  The winter is the inverse, 20 degrees out, a little engine heat, cold toes.  You can tell if this is happening by reaching down while going down the road to see if air is blowing from the forward section of the console right where the floor vents are.  Mine was hot enough to burn and of course it is super-heating the underside of the console.  I fixed it and also added some SS HVAC tape around the cup holders and a little on the floor under the console and now my drinks don't heat up and my toes don't burn.  I'm hoping I won't have cold feet in the winter now also.

I still get some drafting so something else must not be totally blocked off.   Grab a Wrench!

As for exhaust, I have a Dynamax SS Ultra I bought online.  Maybe $55 delivered.  3 years old and still looks great.  A little louder than stock but nothing major.  I have a SS header too.  My cat is walker (OEM style I think) and it is a slip-joint at both ends with wide band clamps.  I also had a 25% coupon for Advance Auto so I just bought the stock tail pipe for about $20 and got all the clamps too - it ain't a race car.  For stock cheap stuff, I always wipe them with brakeclean and then paint with hi-temp silver so they last a lot longer.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
schreiberaj
Forum User
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 05:47:19 PM »

I have a MagnaFlow 50 state legal universal CAT for sale if you're interested. It's already got the flange welded on the one side.

The note about the burning hot toes is interesting... I'm going to have to take a look because my passenger side gets super hot sometimes. I just assumed it was heat transfer from the engine bay and was normal.

RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 06:31:48 AM »

I also discovered that the boot on the steering column was not connected to the fire wall.  It is a push on, but it had slid a few inches up the column on the inside at my feet, leaving a pretty big hole for air off the engine (header) to come in.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: