Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
October 17, 2018, 08:47:38 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Piggy Back Tuning - I'd like to borrow a Wide Band O2 Meter  (Read 146 times)
RattleTrap55
Member 2018
84 CJ7
« on: August 23, 2018, 09:48:36 PM »

****WARNING****
 *** Nerd Alert ***

I have a Hesco (Mopar Performance) multi-port fuel injection which is basically a 1994 wrangler 4.0L stock system with minor modification to fit the 4.2L. I have struggled with low RPM performance (700 - 1,300) on the CJ every since I installed a mild cam with the rebuild. The cam's reduces lob separation and added lift leaves both intake & exhaust valves open longer than with the stock cam - this results in a reduced vacuum reading from the MAP sensor that confuses the ECU. The ECU thinks the engine needs more fuel than it really does, as result the engine runs rich and it is most notable at lower RPMs under light load.

After dinking around with injectors and various other setting I have given up and purchased a Split Second PSC1-003 Air/Fuel Programmable Signal Calibrator. To properly build a complete set of air/fuel maps I need a wide band O2 sensor and gauge/meter.

This brings me to the point of this post - I am looking to borrow an Air/Fuel Ratio Meter/Gauge for a couple of weeks. It is easy enough for me to install a O2 sensor bung in my exhaust so what I will need to borrow is standard wide band sensor and gauge.

Let me know if you have one you are willing to loan.

Thanks,
Garner

PS:
If you are interested in learning more here is a link to a nice article ( https://splitsec.com/wp-content/uploads/technotes/TN7_Piggyback_Tuning.pdf )

3.5 Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
RattleTrap55
Member 2018
84 CJ7
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 04:05:42 PM »

As mentioned earlier after working with the Split Second PSC1 I have managed to significantly improve the performance of the MFI installed in the CJ.

Being old school in so many ways, this has been a great learning experience for me. I now have much greater appreciation for how fuel injection systems work, but more importantly the power of even the most basic Engine Control Units (ECU). While I have been working with a "state-of-the art 1980's" technology speed density MFI system and ECU, I have seen the light, amen. During the learning process I read everything I could find including the tuning manuals for true state-the-art Power Control Units (PCU) like the Holley Dominator HOLY COW what an exciting world that is.

Oops sorry I got carried away.  Redfaced

Anyway, I am completing the draft write-up of my journey and lessons learned. Unfortunately it has turned to an 8 page documents with charts & graphs therefore not suitable for posting. However, if anyone is interested drop me a PM with your email and I will send you a pdf copy.

Thanks for listening

Nerd Alert - closed

3.5 Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: