Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
November 16, 2018, 06:37:56 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rear cargo shelf  (Read 929 times)
jrussbowman
Forum User
« on: September 02, 2018, 08:10:09 PM »

We're doing a 7500 mile trip next year. The wife, 2 kids and me. No room for the dog this round, maybe if I can upgrade to an overland trailer one day...

We can't fit all 4 in the roof top tent I bought, so we're going to have to do 2 in the Jeep and 2 in the tent. I'm also considering some hammocks w/ rainflys for the Jeep sleeper8x4  as an option

We're looking at 13-14 hours a day drives, my best guess anyway. Broke it up into what Google says is 11 - 11.5 hour drives. So minimizing set up and tear down time is important. So I had a vision of a shelf so we would not need to entirely unload the Jeep every night. The shelf also creates more storage. Finally the shelf needs to be removable because, dog.

I started by doing measurements. Then went to Home Depot, got 1in diameter pipe cut to 63in length and an 8x4 length particle board cut into 5ft and 3ft lengths so I could get it home in the back of the Jeep.

First I mounted the pipe in place

Cut the shelf and got it in place, this is the room left for putting a sleeping pad and getting someone under.

Call the dog out to confirm he won't fit. He was unimpressed.

Once everything was in place, I measured the available room and then took a ride to Walmart. Bought some storage bins. I already had the cargo net and extra hooks. Loaded everything in, to get this.

I just used a can of Rustoleum bedliner on the shelf. That just did one side. Going to get 3 more cans so I can 2 coat the whole thing. I have room on the cargo rack on the Jeep to take shelf and store up there. I'm not too confident with how the bedliner on the shelf is turning out. So I got a 10x8 tarp to wrap it up in while its up top. Not sure what to do with the bars, I'll figure that out.

One thing I am trying to figure out if there is something I put along the edge of the shelf to protect it. The particle board is really heavy and sturdy but the edges peel. Maybe something I can glue to edges, may have to do a hardware store trip to look around.

RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 08:25:13 AM »

One thing I am trying to figure out if there is something I put along the edge of the shelf to protect it. The particle board is really heavy and sturdy but the edges peel. Maybe something I can glue to edges, may have to do a hardware store trip to look around.

I have used both "angle" and "C" aluminum to give strength and a protected edge to particle board.  Lowes and HD probably have what you need.  It's easy to cut and bend around edges after cutting out a "V" if necessary.  Countersink the screws and it looks great.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
jrussbowman
Forum User
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 08:53:50 AM »

I have used both "angle" and "C" aluminum to give strength and a protected edge to particle board.  Lowes and HD probably have what you need.  It's easy to cut and bend around edges after cutting out a "V" if necessary.  Countersink the screws and it looks great.

I think I'm going to cheap out and wrap it in Gorilla tape. The bedliner and plasti-dip haven't turned out very well. I figure that will pad the corners and keep them from peeling.

packinnova
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 03:57:10 PM »

Can't really help with the shelf, but for the hammock idea... It depends on the weather/season and the person.  Cold weather hammocking sucks if you don't know how to insulate or setup your rig.

I camp with an ENO double size hammock(the mosquito net option is worth its weight in gold in warm weather) and a Mier rain tarp(bright orange on one side and silvery mylar stuff on the inside).  I'm usually fine with just sleeping on a wool blanket underneath of me in the hammock down to about 50 with the tarp only a foot or so above the hammock and the sides staked down at a tight angle.  If it's hot out...raise the tarp higher, change the angles and get more airflow.

Below that I need to actually tuck into the blanket.  Surprisingly a rainfly keeps a good bit of heat in depending on how you rig it.  The real important part is just keeping something between you and the hammock for insulation.  Otherwise you deal with the not so fun "cold butt" all night.

WWW Logged

'97 Franken-TJ
6" lift and 35's
My Jeep Life Tees and Hoodies:
https://rdbl.co/2mDSQmV
jrussbowman
Forum User
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 07:36:18 AM »

Thanks for the info on hammocks, there are so many to choose from getting info on a brand someone trusts helps.

Here is a final pic of the shelf. It's not pretty but it's functional.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 06:09:35 PM »

I missed the first part on hammocks, I've been sleeping in one for years. Eno double nest is a great starter option. Hennessy is the top of the line stuff, but I still haven't see a need for one and use a eno. It's lasted me for close to 10 years now.

I have a 20 degree sleeping bag and use that down to about 50. After that you'll need an under quilt. I used a basic blue tarp for years as a rain fly and recently bought a dedicated rain fly and love it. Cost me like $70 on sale though so don't feel like you have to sink a ton of money into a set up. An eno plus $6 dollar tarp well get you going for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
packinnova
Forum User
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 10:15:11 AM »

Nice.  Looking good.  It looks like you pipe clamped those pipe rails to the mounting holes for the hard top?  Not a bad idea. 

The eno double hammocks are a wee bit expensive, but I do love it.  I'm testing out another brand I snagged on amazon for like 1/4 the price of the ENO, but I haven't had a chance to actually take it out to the woods yet.  Right now it's just set up on a stand in the basement and it seems to hold my fatarse well(6'1 210-215lbs~).

WWW Logged

'97 Franken-TJ
6" lift and 35's
My Jeep Life Tees and Hoodies:
https://rdbl.co/2mDSQmV
jrussbowman
Forum User
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 01:33:13 PM »

Nice.  Looking good.  It looks like you pipe clamped those pipe rails to the mounting holes for the hard top?  Not a bad idea. 

The eno double hammocks are a wee bit expensive, but I do love it.  I'm testing out another brand I snagged on amazon for like 1/4 the price of the ENO, but I haven't had a chance to actually take it out to the woods yet.  Right now it's just set up on a stand in the basement and it seems to hold my fatarse well(6'1 210-215lbs~).

Yea that's what I did. Battle tested the shelf running up to flagpole yesterday. I think I might do ratchet straps to hold the shelf to pipe rails. It was bouncing around and I'm hearing the top creak a lot while running around now. As much as I'd like to use a broken top as an excuse to get an ursa minor top, I don't think the wife is going to fall for that with as much as I've spent on the Jeep already.

Goonie
Member 2018
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 12:53:28 PM »

Can't really help with the shelf, but for the hammock idea... It depends on the weather/season and the person.  Cold weather hammocking sucks if you don't know how to insulate or setup your rig.

I camp with an ENO double size hammock(the mosquito net option is worth its weight in gold in warm weather) and a Mier rain tarp(bright orange on one side and silvery mylar stuff on the inside).  I'm usually fine with just sleeping on a wool blanket underneath of me in the hammock down to about 50 with the tarp only a foot or so above the hammock and the sides staked down at a tight angle.  If it's hot out...raise the tarp higher, change the angles and get more airflow.

Below that I need to actually tuck into the blanket.  Surprisingly a rainfly keeps a good bit of heat in depending on how you rig it.  The real important part is just keeping something between you and the hammock for insulation.  Otherwise you deal with the not so fun "cold butt" all night.

Under quilts are something else you could look into. I have been in sub freezing with snow on the ground with my hammock with a decent under quilt and over quilt. If its not going to be that cold another item wirth its weight in cold for the chill of the night is the "war bonnet" its a down skull cap that reallllyyyyy retains warmth.

2015 White Renegade Trail Hawk.
2018 Chief Blue JKU
karlmagnum
Forum User
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 09:02:09 PM »

I have the Treklight. It is the best hammock I've ever owned.

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: