Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 20, 2018, 05:25:33 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WJ Diff question  (Read 202 times)
///BHRpowered
Member 2018
Renegade Super Villan
« on: September 12, 2018, 03:50:49 PM »

The saga continues. Front diff is currently getting a new master install kit, turns out pinion nut backed off so I'm getting a deep discount (was only rebuilt 23k ago)

But, they bought a kit, it didn't fit. Bought another kit and it didn't fit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't ALL WJ's come with a Dana 30??? Shops claims they called dealership to get parts when neither kit worked and dealer says according to vin I have a dana 35. They likely called Lindsay Jeep who I hate, but still.....WJjeeps.com says Dana 30, anyone heard differently?

2000 WJ, 4.7L w/ vari-loc

WWW Logged

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement I would be unstoppable" - ///BHRpowered
"Watching the two black Millenias disappear over the horizon in front of the helplessly outraced Chevy was a treat for the X-man" - Xedosman
"I am not looking to take over the world like BHR" - cwkann
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 06:19:26 PM »

There's no such thing as a Dana 35 steering axle, the Dana 35 is rear only.... You're front is gonna be a Dana 30...

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
///BHRpowered
Member 2018
Renegade Super Villan
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 11:00:09 AM »

And yet, the DEALERSHIP stated "by looking up vin" it had a Dana 35 front. Rear is clearly a Dana 44a.

What does highly concern me is when the diff was open there were no clutch packs. I should have the vari-loc limited slip axles, front and rear as part of Quadra-drive package, yet mechanically it's an open diff. I bought the WJ used, but with 45k on it so I doubt it was changed.

WWW Logged

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement I would be unstoppable" - ///BHRpowered
"Watching the two black Millenias disappear over the horizon in front of the helplessly outraced Chevy was a treat for the X-man" - Xedosman
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 12:36:56 PM »

And yet, the DEALERSHIP stated "by looking up vin" it had a Dana 35 front. Rear is clearly a Dana 44a.

What does highly concern me is when the diff was open there were no clutch packs. I should have the vari-loc limited slip axles, front and rear as part of Quadra-drive package, yet mechanically it's an open diff. I bought the WJ used, but with 45k on it so I doubt it was changed.

Go here;

https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.html

Choose "Equipment Listing" in the left column

Put your vin in the second box down on the right and hit search, That will give you the factory build sheet, and you can compre it to what you're seeing, and give it to the shop doing the work if it matches....
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:38:38 PM by zuke »

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
///BHRpowered
Member 2018
Renegade Super Villan
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 08:24:56 PM »

So, Jeep.com confirmed it. Dana 30 front, Dana 44 rear, with "Vari-Lok Progressive Front Axle" same for rear.

Shop thought it was a dana 30, kit didn't match up perfectly, so called dealer who said Dana 35....I figured kit didn't match because it's the vari-loc / limited slip version. Yet shop says no clutch pack and it's not.....

Something fishy.

WELL........By fishy I mean they finished rebuilding diff, called me up and said TC is bad. I went up there and it's making a super aggressive clunking when going around corner. No grinding but its bucking. Trying to tell me it's the TC because it didn't do it with the driveshaft out. But it shouldn't matter if going straight or turning. I think they rebuilt my diff wrong, with the wrong parts and now I'm going to implode.

WWW Logged

zuke
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 08:30:38 PM »

I think your assessment is correct, If the TC is bad, why wasn't it doing this before? Take the driveshaft back out, and the problem is likely still there...

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 08:36:56 PM »

The clutch pack in a vari-lok are not immediately visible, you have to disassemble the carrier to even see them, they probably opened the diff, saw the spiders in the carrier and wrote it off as not being a limited slip diff...

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
dan58
Forum User
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 10:40:41 AM »

When in doubt, try Randy's for ID.  The Diff Wizard is the best in the business.

https://www.randysworldwide.com/

///BHRpowered
Member 2018
Renegade Super Villan
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 08:30:06 PM »

I believe they simply rebuilt the diff wrong, then didn't test it without the driveshaft. If it was the TC then it should be doing it all the time. Front output shaft doesn't spin at a different speed when vehicle is turning.

So, they break it, they fix it. Most of diff repair is going to be under warranty. When TC is in and it doesn't work I'll offer to pay the labor and give them my older, higher mileage TC and I keep the one they put in with 100k less.

To play devils advocate, I did drive about 3500 miles without front driveshaft which is never recommended, and I got alot. I mean ALOT of water in TC but changed fluid a day later.

WWW Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: