Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 26, 2018, 08:42:52 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stripped Drag link bolt  (Read 114 times)
Phoenix45
Forum User
« on: September 16, 2018, 12:33:58 PM »

I stripped the bolt when dropping the drag link to access the track bar bracket. This is the bolt that attaches the drag link to the steering knuckle.
It looks like the bolt may be replaceable (there is a hex socket on the face). Is this true? If so how do I do it?
Or will I have to replace the whole drag link (Passenger side stripped)?  If this is the case, anyone have an old stock one lying around that I can pick up quickly?

Thanks.

1973 CJ-5
1988 Wrangler YJ
1999 Grand Cherokee Limited
2010 Wrangler Unlimited
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 12:59:02 PM »

I stripped the bolt when dropping the drag link to access the track bar bracket. This is the bolt that attaches the drag link to the steering knuckle.
It looks like the bolt may be replaceable (there is a hex socket on the face). Is this true? If so how do I do it?
Or will I have to replace the whole drag link (Passenger side stripped)?  If this is the case, anyone have an old stock one lying around that I can pick up quickly?

Thanks.

Not sure which of your Jeeps this happened on, but in all cases, the knuckle side is a ball and socket end (Like a tie rod end) So it isn't replaceable without replacing the entire end.. If it's on the JK, Then that is the larger part of the drag link, and you will need to replace it.

Advance auto parts stocks the long portion of the Drag link at their larger stores, you might be able to find one close to you quickly, The Advance Auto over on Dale Blvd shows one in stock right now, $85.99..

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/moog-steering-drag-link-ds300005/10225707-P?searchTerm=Drag+Link

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
Phoenix45
Forum User
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 03:32:20 PM »

It's a JK.

I did some searching and came to the same conclusion. I was able to order one from Advanced Auto with a 25% off coupon online, so it was ~$68 out the door.

Frustrating that the whole bar has to be replaced for stripped threads.

1973 CJ-5
1988 Wrangler YJ
1999 Grand Cherokee Limited
2010 Wrangler Unlimited
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: