Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
November 15, 2018, 10:20:02 PM

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dana 35 Drum Brake Question  (Read 530 times)
mopar31898
Forum User
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 05:46:24 PM »

Ok. When I responded earlier I responded from my phone so I didn't go into much detail.  Let me elaborate a little more:

The drum is not seized on the hub.  The second time I tried to get the drum off I was able to adjust it down what seemed like a significant amount but possibly not all the way.  It is very hard to get in and adjust it and see what I am doing.  With it adjusted down, I was able to get the drum moved off about 3/4 of an inch so I don't think it is the lip closest to inside of the axle. 

There are no screws or bolts holding the drum on.

I did a little research and now remember the construction of the shoes from the factory.  Imagine a typical shoe on a set of drum brakes and it may be roughly three fingers wide.  Now imagine if you put the middle of those fingers down; that is how the construction of the shoe braking material is made.  For some reason there is two separate strips of braking material with a gap in between.  Based on how I am pulling it off and the way it feels, I believe due to the "split shoe material" setup, there is a ridge in the middle of the drum.  That ridge is getting caught on the shoe material as I try to pull it off. 

With all that being said, I think the best solution may be to drill out or cut off the pin on the backing plate and let the shoes loose and pull it off.

If anyone has any other ideas better than that one, which was suggested a few posts up, I am open.

Garner, if you have some time in the near future, maybe we can try to get it adjusted as much as possible then move to more drastic options.  The good thing is the only reason I was trying to get it off was because of a slight noise in rear when it was rolling down the road that went away when I pressed the brakes.  I was able to see the shoe material and it seems like there is a lot left so we don't have a serious metal on metal situation.

Hopefully all that makes sense.  Let me know if anyone has more questions or ideas.

As always, thanks for everything.

RattleTrap55
Member 2018
84 CJ7
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 06:10:07 PM »

I am free any evening this week except tomorrow (Tuesday). I'll come your way or you are welcome to come to my house we can pull the TJ in the garage and stay warm & dry.

My concern with cutting the "holddown pins" is that the shoe will pivot forward forcing the back edges further out making it worse not better. Another option might be to back-off the "Adjuster Screw Assembly" so that it is as small possible then pull the "holddown pins" tight with a vice grips so the shoes are held as firmly as possible against the "Support Plate" so the the brake shoes are parallel with drum friction surface. Either way I am sure we can get the drum(s) off. 

Let me know when you are free to give it a go.

Garner

3.5 Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 11:18:53 AM »

Just pry it off already.  Knock the adjuster off from the bottom with a screw driver since you should be able to see it with the 3/4" movement you have.  When it's gone the shoes should fall inward easily.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 05:22:29 PM »

I still say try and find a bigger hammer. Borrow either a log splitter or a massive sledge hammer from a neighbor/friend and beat the hell out of it with the blunt end. It will either come loose or break in half altogether from the impact!

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
majestek12
Forum User
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 08:14:53 PM »

I'd personally be careful with wailing on it too hard as I've seen bent and damaged backing plates from doing so. Not a huge issue but no sense making more work. As others have said, grinding wheel to score or cut the drum may be the way to go.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: