Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
November 15, 2018, 09:53:19 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do to your Jeep today? - November 2018  (Read 1297 times)
Ta Tonka
Member 2018
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 12:38:42 PM »

Remote start for $100, no new fobs, crazy, stupid easy... if it keeps working Iíll shout out the name.  15 minute to install.

Fortin EVO? I've put them on several Jeeps and other Chryslers... Super Easy....
^ this. Also helped a few members on here install them as well.

T
Remote starts are AT only ... right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zuke
Forum User
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 03:16:02 PM »

The Fortin is automatic only, You can put a remote start in a manual tranny Wrangler, but it requires some shenanigans like making your own neutral safety sensor setup, Or using one for an automatic and defeating the neutral safety wires, which could be dangerous if you accidently left it in gear... I'm pretty sure that's not even possible with the Fortin...

You could probably do it with something like a higher end Viper alarm system, but they are much more expensive and complex to install.

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
Zedi
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 05:56:35 PM »

Ripped a rear upper control rod bracket from the frame during the spotter training ride. Rant Face Rant Face

1998 TJ JEEBA Jeep
jrussbowman
Forum User
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2018, 11:49:52 PM »

Went and did Peter's Mill for the first time, fun ride with the family. Ended up not doing Skyline back. The line at the Thorton Gap entrance was huge.

packinnova
Forum User
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 04:28:09 PM »

Did some hoopty body fixin this past weekend on the franken-TJ.  Discovered bubbly paint where the PO's hoopty DIY slider(2" angle iron) and driver rear fender flare met near I'm guessing a tie down hole? and realized it was much worse than just bubbly paint.  Surprised there's no drain hole or anything in the bottom of that cavity.  Then again, maybe not so much. Dunno? 
There's a drain hole in the bottom now! Grab a Wrench!

Yanked the slider which turned into a PITA all it's own since they used FLAT HEAD bolts to mount it from the outside, and 3/4ths of the nuts on the inside weren't reachable with ANY wrench I had and I have a lot.  Space was just too small. Not even the smallest box ends or open ends would fit even with angle adapters, wobble extentions, crows feet...certainly not any sockets.Very Mad  Ended up cutting the bolts off from the outside with the angle grinder.

Then pulled the flare and lightly tapped the paint with a screwdriver and it just crumbled.  Tapped the rusty metal behind it with the handle end and it crumbled... Shocked  Found a gooey 1.5" of muck, rock, and rusted chipped out metal in there too...

As you can see in the google drive link... I still have a lot to do, but I was in a hurry to at least get it patched and some primer and enamel on it before the rains hit.  I still need to sand down the welds a bit more smooth and I have a few other holes to patch as well, but so far for a quickie afternoon job I figured it's not too bad.  Nevermind I did it with a cheapie flux core welder. Wink

The other side/inside looked kinda nasty too, but surprisingly it seemed solid at least tapping with a mallet.  So for now I just stuck a wire brush on a drill in there and cleaned up as much as I could, then hit it with rustoleum pretty heavily. 

Some pics:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NqpaBTY-i7pGo-zoSGFRaAbtMkmztS6d

WWW Logged

'97 Franken-TJ
6" lift and 35's
My Jeep Life Tees and Hoodies:
https://rdbl.co/2mDSQmV
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 09:25:38 AM »

That actually looks pretty good.  Especially with a flux core machine.  Maybe there's hope for me yet.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
jrussbowman
Forum User
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 01:55:15 PM »

Drove my Jeep to the polls and voted.

RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 09:19:28 AM »

Washed it to get the mud off from AOAA.  If it stays dry today, its time to put the Bull Dawg sliders on for winter after work.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 03:39:03 PM »

Savvy skid, billstein 5100s came in today. Gotta install those this weekend and maybe even an upper control arm if I get frisky.

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Dropkick
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
Manassas, VA
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 06:30:04 PM »

The Fortin is automatic only, You can put a remote start in a manual tranny Wrangler, but it requires some shenanigans like making your own neutral safety sensor setup, Or using one for an automatic and defeating the neutral safety wires, which could be dangerous if you accidently left it in gear... I'm pretty sure that's not even possible with the Fortin...

You could probably do it with something like a higher end Viper alarm system, but they are much more expensive and complex to install.

I have a manual and had remote start installed in 2012. I went with Compustar instead of Viper as it required less steps to set. In order to set the remote start I need the e-brake engaged and not be pressing the brake pedal. IIFC Viper has a few more steps. I just started having an issue fairly recently but that is because my factory key fobs stopped working.   

WWW Logged

Shamus

'09JKU
Boomsticktmo
Member 2018
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 06:59:31 PM »

Did some hoopty body fixin this past weekend on the franken-TJ.  Discovered bubbly paint where the PO's hoopty DIY slider(2" angle iron) and driver rear fender flare met near I'm guessing a tie down hole? and realized it was much worse than just bubbly paint.  Surprised there's no drain hole or anything in the bottom of that cavity.  Then again, maybe not so much. Dunno? 
There's a drain hole in the bottom now! Grab a Wrench!

Yanked the slider which turned into a PITA all it's own since they used FLAT HEAD bolts to mount it from the outside, and 3/4ths of the nuts on the inside weren't reachable with ANY wrench I had and I have a lot.  Space was just too small. Not even the smallest box ends or open ends would fit even with angle adapters, wobble extentions, crows feet...certainly not any sockets.Very Mad  Ended up cutting the bolts off from the outside with the angle grinder.

Then pulled the flare and lightly tapped the paint with a screwdriver and it just crumbled.  Tapped the rusty metal behind it with the handle end and it crumbled... Shocked  Found a gooey 1.5" of muck, rock, and rusted chipped out metal in there too...

As you can see in the google drive link... I still have a lot to do, but I was in a hurry to at least get it patched and some primer and enamel on it before the rains hit.  I still need to sand down the welds a bit more smooth and I have a few other holes to patch as well, but so far for a quickie afternoon job I figured it's not too bad.  Nevermind I did it with a cheapie flux core welder. Wink

The other side/inside looked kinda nasty too, but surprisingly it seemed solid at least tapping with a mallet.  So for now I just stuck a wire brush on a drill in there and cleaned up as much as I could, then hit it with rustoleum pretty heavily. 

Some pics:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NqpaBTY-i7pGo-zoSGFRaAbtMkmztS6d
Man, nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99 XJ (Sold)
10 JKU Rubi (Sold)
02 TJ
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 07:04:30 PM »

I have a manual and had remote start installed in 2012. I went with Compustar instead of Viper as it required less steps to set. In order to set the remote start I need the e-brake engaged and not be pressing the brake pedal. IIFC Viper has a few more steps. I just started having an issue fairly recently but that is because my factory key fobs stopped working.   

I think with the Viper you have to put the Tranny in Neutral, set the e-brake, Then Start the Jeep and get out and lock the Jeep, then it shuts off the motor and is armed for a remote start in the morning... What are the steps with the Compustar?

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
sticksout
Club Secretary
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2018, 07:27:53 AM »

Drove it around last night once it got dark.

2001 TJ Sahara - black
RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 09:13:43 AM »

Headlight fixed?  I installed my window sliders for the winter.  It makes for a lot quieter ride.

- Frank
sticksout
Club Secretary
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 02:28:50 PM »

Headlight fixed?  I installed my window sliders for the winter.  It makes for a lot quieter ride.

Low beams work perfectly, it's the right highbeam giving me fits

2001 TJ Sahara - black
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: