Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 10, 2018, 12:57:00 AM

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2.0 L JLU  (Read 416 times)
Nacho
Member 2018 VA4WD
« on: December 05, 2018, 01:52:36 PM »

Thinking about trading my jku for a new JL...I found a deal on one with the nw 2.0 l engine. Watched some videos and read some reviews... but still a little hesitant.  What's everyone here think about the new engine? Any experience?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2018
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 02:01:41 PM »

Thinking about trading my jeep door a new JL...I found a deal on one with the nw 2.0 l engine. Watched some videos and read some reviews... but still a little hesitant.  What's everyone here think about the new engine? Any experience?

There's no way it could be worse than the 2.5L from the TJ...right?

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
smileyT
Member 2018
TIP your Bartender and Waitstaff!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 04:28:49 PM »

The wifeís Alfa has the 2.0. Itís a great motor that will get out of its own way. A lot of nanny controls. Just a heads up!

T

2000 TJ Sold
1996 Grand Cherokee lift, control arms, 2001 wj leather seats family owned since new!
2016 Jku sport 2.5 lift, Geo brackets, front, rear bumpers, winch w/ synthetic line, 37 BFG AT, aluminum paint matched fenders inner fenders, bartact seat covers, rear seat capt chair conversion, etc
dave2002ti
Member 2018
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 05:28:07 PM »

For a daily driver?  How much offroad use?

What model JLU? Planning any mods?

Manual or slushbox?

Take a look at the torque curves for the turbo and the V6 and then think about the driving you will do. Its the area under the curve and not the peak number.

If you can test drive both in situations that make you uncomfortable.  For me thats at night in heavy downpour at triple digit speeds but that doesnt apply to Jeeps.

Turbos dont last as long and really need more frequent oil changes.  I have the V6 in my 2012 Grand Cherokee and its a better than average engine but then I was spoiled for life by BMW inline 6's.  No 6 cylinder  beats the wail of an M1.
Never considered the so called "hemi" cause it aint a real hemi and I wasn't towing. Also even back in 2012 the so called "hemi" was ancient.

Dave Apker

highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 08:46:41 AM »

The 3.6L is a good engine, I would stick with tried and true over a potential fiat POS. Nothing they have ever built was worth 2 cents in my book. It's a shame they own Mopar to begin with.

HighlanderCJ-7
Iceman
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 09:03:18 AM »

My 2 cents/impression....

My buddy just flew up from FL last weekend and picked up a brand new JLUR with the 2.0L turbo. Picked him up and took him to the dealership so he could finalize/sign his paperwork. We got back the to house and he tossed me the key and told me I was driving when we went out to celebrate his new purchase. After getting past all the bells and whistles (fyi the heated seats and steering wheel are no joke), I will say I was actually impressed with the engine response when I got into the gas pedal a bit. No hesitation/lagging what-so-ever and it got up and went with a vengeance. I was a little skeptical at 1st when Jeep announced the 2.0L 4 cylinder but this is not even close to the 4 bangers of yesteryear. My test drive consisted of both side roads and highway (28). Granted it did have the 4.10 gear ratio since it was a Rubicon so there "may" be a slight difference there between that and the 3.45 that comes in the Sport/Sahara/MOAB models. You may want to take them both for a spin to see how much of a drop off there is with the numerically lower gearing. Also, I "believe" the 2.0L is only available with an automatic transmission. So if you are a traditional manual transmission driver, you would need to go with the 3.6. Last 2 things I will add.... when he got back to FL he reported that he was getting just under 26 mpg and DAMN the JLs are effing nice (with exception to the auto start/stop)! Made me think bad thoughts while I was at the dealership but then I got back in my JK and drove and all was well.

-Clayton

R3
Member 2018 VA4WD/BRC
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 09:04:40 AM »

Gent at work  just purchased a Shara 2.0 JLU and says it is a beast. Lots of power wihthte hybrid system and fuel mileage is better than the 2009 Shara they had.  With 4500 ish miles on it  they really like it.

Cheers
R3

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
4.5 Metal cloak
37 BFG ATs
Dynatrac, PSC, Barnes, Ried, RCV....
next?

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
Onyx Dragon
Forum User
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 09:53:19 AM »

The power may be nice, but everyone I talk to that I know in Europe has only ever said that Fiats are only purchased as a 2-3 year car, and they are not expected to go beyond that.  I would question the longevity of the engine.

Bill Staples
1999 XJ
2013 JK
Nacho
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 07:51:43 PM »

Thanks everyone... as expected, pros and cons. I am going to test drive this weekend. I do a fair bit of offroading, but also a daily driver.
I looked at the graphs, & like the early torque, and think that'll be good on rocks.
Will let you all know what I decide.

highlandercj-7
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 08:30:14 PM »

My point exactly Onix.

HighlanderCJ-7
dave2002ti
Member 2018
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 07:40:27 AM »

The 3.6L is a good engine, I would stick with tried and true over a potential fiat POS. Nothing they have ever built was worth 2 cents in my book. It's a shame they own Mopar to begin with.

3.6l had a lot of help from Mercedes in R&D etc. 2l turbo is a Fiat design. Back in the day Alfa Romeo used to build great engines second only to Ferrari and better than anything from the UK. Second only to BMW.
Today Alfa is just a badge engineered Fiat.

Drive both the 2lt and 3.6l in all conditions see which one works best for you.   Pay attention to tip in for the turbo and how it could effect the capabilities in the rocks etc. Agree its a shame FCA owns Mopar but it could be worse it could be the Chinese.

Dave Apker

juice_jp
Member 2018
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 10:23:43 AM »

I test drove the JLUR 2.0L and the V6 back to back with the Auto.  With the 4.10s the 2.0L when the etrq kicks in spins the rear tires in a really controllabe fashion, until the traction control says NO NO NO.  But for my foot "Heavy" it seemed that just taking off from a stop light would spin the tires almost all the time as the etrq doeesn't give you a % of the available trq, it gives it all to you.  The traction control system would then kick on and i was not happy with that.

Ultimately I think the wheelbase of the JLUR and the 4.10s we're just non 100% for the 2.0L.  I'm old school, and came from the TJ world where no one wheel'd with an Auto, they broke right?  So I jumped back into the JL and got a 2dr v6 stick loaded.  Hindsight, seems the auto has come a long way, but I wanted that V6 grunt and I'll probably put a prodigy or a hellcat engine in it eventually, ya I'm that guy!

dave2002ti
Member 2018
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 04:59:53 PM »

Just FYi Feb 2019 issue of Peterson's 4wheel and Off-Road has  test of both 2l and 3.6l JL Rubicons on the trail and discusses engine options .

Article also discusses the JL upgrades from axles to the interior.

Dave Apker

dave2002ti
Member 2018
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 06:09:13 PM »

You may want to explore order Code 26  when you go to place your order ie 3l diesel and manual trannie.

Dave Apker

Nacho
Member 2018 VA4WD
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 07:00:23 PM »

So I drove the 2.0 today. Did not buy one as I am nervous to buy one the 1st year as someone said above. The ride was definitely smooth, it drove great on the freeway.  It's out pretty powerful when the charger kicked in and you could definitely feel the torque. All in all I was impressed and surprised by how incredibly smooth the ride was.
Still think I want a new JL... looks like I may get new white one. Will let you all know tomorrow.
Thanks for all the feedback

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: