Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
March 18, 2019, 08:56:30 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hella Yella JLUR Build  (Read 1385 times)
Jeepin_Donnie
Club Vice President
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 10:11:17 PM »

SWEET!  Congrats!  Looking forward to seeing more!!

Thanks, I saw your FS for your Mopar reinforcement kit, you going a new direction with your carrier?

Yeah I want to get the Evo tailgate reinforcement bracket/tire carrier.  Or the ACE one.  I like them both.  What are you planning on getting?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:17:41 PM by Jeepin_Donnie »

Mods, they never end.  My rig needs a sponsor!  Smile
SHYUperman
Member 2019
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 12:18:15 AM »

Yeah I want to get the Evo tailgate reinforcement bracket/tire carrier.  Or the ACE one.  I like them both.  What are you planning on getting?

I'm grasping and hoping that Teraflex comes out with a hinge kit, but that's probably not happening anytime soon.  They did debut their adjustable tire carrier at SEMA, but still no ETA on release... but I won't trust 37s on the stock hinges.

Motobilt should be announcing their hinge kit this month.  They're announcing a new JL product each Monday at 8am EST this month. 

Let me know what you end up getting

IG: hellava_yella
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 08:04:21 AM »

So with the JKs they used blue locktite on the body bolts at the factory and people were reportedly snapping them. Now with the JLs they stepped it up to red locktite which increases the chance of breakage? Brilliant FCA...

BTW welcome back to Jeep ownership! Nice ride in a sweet color.

- Clayton

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

They had to go red, since there's a 50% chance the robot missed welding the body mounts to the frame rails, you might lose them! Very Happy

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
Jeepin_Donnie
Club Vice President
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 09:25:15 AM »

I'm grasping and hoping that Teraflex comes out with a hinge kit, but that's probably not happening anytime soon.  They did debut their adjustable tire carrier at SEMA, but still no ETA on release... but I won't trust 37s on the stock hinges.

Motobilt should be announcing their hinge kit this month.  They're announcing a new JL product each Monday at 8am EST this month. 

Let me know what you end up getting

I had the TeraFlex one on my JK, it was great.  As I'm sure you know.........Motobilt stuff is awesome and looks great but doesn't come powder coated.  I have their rear crusher bumper which I bed lined and it looks great but I wouldn't want to do that to the tailgate hinges & carrier since they're touching the paint.  I'd have to get it powder coated which I'm sure would be another $200 or so.

I'll definitely let you know what I end up going with.  I'm leaning towards the Evo carrier because I can get it for $640 from Northridge.  (10% off using the discount code jlwranglerforums)  I have a guy in Utah who offered me $550 if I ship the Mopar stuff to him.  As long as the shipping is $50 or less I'm going to accept the offer.

SHYUperman
Member 2019
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 09:47:09 AM »

I had the TeraFlex one on my JK, it was great.  As I'm sure you know.........Motobilt stuff is awesome and looks great but doesn't come powder coated.  I have their rear crusher bumper which I bed lined and it looks great but I wouldn't want to do that to the tailgate hinges & carrier since they're touching the paint.  I'd have to get it powder coated which I'm sure would be another $200 or so.

I'll definitely let you know what I end up going with.  I'm leaning towards the Evo carrier because I can get it for $640 from Northridge.  (10% off using the discount code jlwranglerforums)  I have a guy in Utah who offered me $550 if I ship the Mopar stuff to him.  As long as the shipping is $50 or less I'm going to accept the offer.

Yeah I had it on my JK too and loved it.  Did not know that their carriers didn't come powder coated.  I might look into the Evo as well... especially at that price.

I was also looking at Expedition One's rear bumper with tire carrier - https://expeditiononestore.com/products/jeep-jl-trail-series-2-rear-bumper-w-smooth-motion-tire-carrier-system

But after having a TF hinge kit, I might prefer to go that route.  Though buying a rear bumper with a hinge kit separately would probably be more than that Exp One

Jeepin_Donnie
Club Vice President
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 02:55:45 PM »

Yeah I had it on my JK too and loved it.  Did not know that their carriers didn't come powder coated.  I might look into the Evo as well... especially at that price.

I was also looking at Expedition One's rear bumper with tire carrier - https://expeditiononestore.com/products/jeep-jl-trail-series-2-rear-bumper-w-smooth-motion-tire-carrier-system

But after having a TF hinge kit, I might prefer to go that route.  Though buying a rear bumper with a hinge kit separately would probably be more than that Exp One

That Expedition One bumper and tire carrier looks sweet!!

So I was just messaging with a Jeeper on Instagram about his EVO tire carrier.  He strongly encouraged me not to buy it.  He is having issues with his.  I may hold onto my Mopar hinge supports and carrier for now.  It's been great on the trails with a 37 mounted on it.  And it doesn't rattle at all. 

Will you be at the meeting Sunday?

SHYUperman
Member 2019
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 11:53:10 PM »

So I was just messaging with a Jeeper on Instagram about his EVO tire carrier.  He strongly encouraged me not to buy it.  He is having issues with his.  I may hold onto my Mopar hinge supports and carrier for now.  It's been great on the trails with a 37 mounted on it.  And it doesn't rattle at all. 

Thanks for the heads up, I might honestly just run without a spare in the short term.  It's not my ideal situation, but I'd rather not put any unnecessary weight on the tailgate and wait for a good option.

Probably not going to make it out, I'll probably make it to the next one.

SHYUperman
Member 2019
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 11:55:25 PM »

Got a few more goodies today... unfortunately Fedex decided to treat my wheels like pinatas on it's journey to my house.  One wheel got some damage.

Going to start prepping for the lift install in the coming weeks along with getting the wheels/tires mounted.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:58:38 PM by SHYUperman »

Gogged
Member 2019
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 04:16:52 AM »

So I was just messaging with a Jeeper on Instagram about his EVO tire carrier.  He strongly encouraged me not to buy it.  He is having issues with his.  I may hold onto my Mopar hinge supports and carrier for now.  It's been great on the trails with a 37 mounted on it.  And it doesn't rattle at all.  

Thanks for the heads up, I might honestly just run without a spare in the short term.  It's not my ideal situation, but I'd rather not put any unnecessary weight on the tailgate and wait for a good option.

Probably not going to make it out, I'll probably make it to the next one.

I ran with a 37 on mine for a few months and on a few trails without any apparent permanent issues before I got my LOD bumper/carrier. I definitely agree that those stock hinges won't hold over time despite Jeep's claims of more strength, which is why I went with the frame mount. I didn't even want to worry about the better hinge setup from Evo or Tera. Btw welcome to the JL club.  Laughing

2018 JLUR 3.5" Metalcloak lift, 37s

'06 TJ Sport...sold..

I hate rusty bolts!
SHYUperman
Member 2019
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 09:45:34 AM »

I ran with a 37 on mine for a few months and on a few trails without any apparent permanent issues before I got my LOD bumper/carrier. I definitely agree that those stock hinges won't hold over time despite Jeep's claims of more strength, which is why I went with the frame mount. I didn't even want to worry about the better hinge setup from Evo or Tera. Btw welcome to the JL club.  Laughing

Thanks, saw your update with the carrier on the forums.  It's really sexy, but read that folks are having problems with the backup sensors and a larger tire.  LOD just recently released a video of them testing the sensors, but I haven't been able to watch it.

How do you like it?  I know going frame mount makes more sense and is probably the better solution.

Jeepin_Donnie
Club Vice President
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 11:04:54 AM »

@SHYUperman, those diff covers and wheels look great.  Are you going to wipe down the diff covers with mineral spirits and then clear them?  Or are you going to add some color to them?  Good idea on waiting on a better solution regarding the HD hinges/carriers.

@Gogged, sounds like the frame/bumper mounted tire carrier is the way to go!

SHYUperman
Member 2019
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 12:08:30 PM »

Yeah I'm going to clean them up and paint them black.  I was thinking about painting the logo yellow or red.  I'm probably going to hold off on that once it gets warmer.  I don't think I'm going wheeling until the spring... unless someone twists my arm.

Jeepin_Donnie
Club Vice President
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 12:41:35 PM »

Yeah I'm going to clean them up and paint them black.  I was thinking about painting the logo yellow or red.  I'm probably going to hold off on that once it gets warmer.  I don't think I'm going wheeling until the spring... unless someone twists my arm.

A yellow logo would look sweet!

Gogged
Member 2019
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 09:48:30 PM »

Thanks, saw your update with the carrier on the forums.  It's really sexy, but read that folks are having problems with the backup sensors and a larger tire.  LOD just recently released a video of them testing the sensors, but I haven't been able to watch it.

How do you like it?  I know going frame mount makes more sense and is probably the better solution.

I didnt order the tech package for the sensors so didnt matter to me  Wink

2018 JLUR 3.5" Metalcloak lift, 37s

'06 TJ Sport...sold..

I hate rusty bolts!
SHYUperman
Member 2019
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2019, 09:33:18 PM »

Trying to fit in today...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: