Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
January 17, 2019, 12:56:38 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rust flakes inside my TJs frame nothing on surface, is this serios?!  (Read 212 times)
Wrangler#1811
Forum User
« on: January 10, 2019, 11:12:51 PM »

I posted this in the Jeep Tech forum, but I think it should have been here:

Gents, my 2004 Rubi is in good condition and I donít have any rust on the body.  I bought it a few months ago and Iím the first one to give it serious TLC. I do have some lite surface rust on some parts of the frame so today I drilled a hole big enough to drain water on the lowest part of the front and back of the frame on both sides.  After sticking my finger in the frame, as in many other TJs, I found rust flaking inside.  Enough to concern me and make me want to clean out the inside somehow before using the Eastwood frame rust coating on the inside and POR on the outside.    As far as I can feel itís just surface flakes on the bottom half of the frame, although some are thicker flakes.

Should I be concerned?! 

How do you guys recommend I clean out the frame?!  Iíve been using a small extendable magnet, but that will take for ever.  Shop vac?  How? 

All tips and opinions are appreciated. 

RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 09:57:05 AM »

It depends on how in-depth you want to clean it.  The holes should be about a 1/2" in all four locations.  You can use a garden hose, pressure washer, and air hose combined.  Take it out for a ride and let it dry at least a day before painting.  However, unless you can actually touch and break loose ALL of the pieces before painting, it will continue to flake.  Some people have went so far as to make cable attachments with small chain or similar to spin inside the frame by using a drill to break loose the flakes and "clean" it out before painting the inside.  Look for YouTube videos.  This is the best way but it is very time consuming and very tedious.  If you are using the Eastwood inside frame painting aerosol cans, you will need at least 4.  Keep in mind that it is very runny and goes everywhere.  It sticks to human skin better than a tattoo.  I would recommend parking on a large throwaway plastic sheet so you don't ruin your driveway or garage.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
Wrangler#1811
Forum User
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 10:50:06 AM »

Taking notes my friends...  👍🏼

I have seen the ďchain/cableĒ videos on YouTube.  I may try to make something like that to get as much out as possible.  Then I will keep at the magnet/air/water flush as often as possible in the garage (toooo cold outside) before coating it with the frame coating.  All of my frame feels strong, no soft spots or sign of deep rust bubbling on the outside. 

More than anything I was/am just concerned that I had bouts lemon.  Itís a 2004, so I expected some things.

RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 10:54:14 AM »

Mines a '98.  You don't want to look inside my frame.  I will give it some attention this spring.  For now I just keep knocking the loose stuff off and out.  My profile pic was last year's "end the year run"  Salted and snowy roads all the way to Harrisonburg and back to Lorton.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
sirjames186
Member 2018 VA4WD
05 LJ
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 04:12:08 PM »

I've also heard of folks using stiff plastic brushes designed for cleaning pellet stove chimneys for cleaning the inside of the frame. Seems easier than the cable/chain method but also costs more.

I'm planning on duct taping an old pice of garden hose about 3 ft long to a shop vac and sticking that in the frame to suck all the loose stuff out. I don't have the patience to mess with a magnet for hours.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"I'm no longer ashamed to wheel with you." - Jeremy
GOTOMAN
Committee: Events
JEEP !!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 11:37:31 PM »

Bring out your popcorn I plan on doing this in the spring

Wrangler#1811
Forum User
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 07:30:09 PM »

Btw, although I intend to clean out the inside of my frame as best as possible and then coat it with the Eastwood internal frame coating (https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rust-encapsulator-black-aerosol-15-ounce.html?SRCCODE=PLA00010&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwZntu4Hs3wIVlY7ICh1Q_AAIEAQYASABEgKkjvD_BwE), is there something else I can use to neutralize any rust in the inside? Vinegar and water solution? Or a product designed for that with its own applicator hose? 

RFH_98TJ
Member 2018
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 08:10:39 AM »

This is what I used, 4 cans:
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.html

- Frank
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: