Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
March 23, 2019, 09:17:38 AM

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheeling at Rausch Creek, March 23rd  (Read 3711 times)
Jeepin_Donnie
Club Vice President
« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2019, 08:44:50 AM »

We had two people drop out today.  Who wants in?!
Hey, Donnie.  Just confirming that I won't be able to make it.  Replacing the steering components Wednesday and just replaced the radiator.  I need some time!  You guys enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hey Bill, no worries.  Trade that thing in for the shiny new JL you were looking at!   Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Mods, they never end.  My rig needs a sponsor!  Smile
Scubalitt
Member 2019 VA4WD
2018 JL and 2005 X
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2019, 02:06:24 PM »

Hi all please be nice to this rookie going on his first real ride (after my 101 training)! I won't arrive at Fairfield till midnight (damn work thing) but will be ready to go in am! My stock Sahara 2018 is all I got so far. So hoping that's all I need (got the tire, TP, food and drinks and I think a working cb). So excited and thanks for patience ya'll!

Chili cookout was a blast!

BLACKHAWKJEEP
Forum User
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2019, 03:07:00 PM »

We've all been rookies before! Don't worry, this is going to be a fun experience and we will all work together so that everyone get's back safely, and with a smile on their face. Plus the drivers meeting before we hit the trails will clear some things up.
Another thing, no shame in taking a bypass or getting winched, doesnít matter if you are lifted or stock  Thumbs Up
If you donít have a working CB we can always compensate with hand signals and the drivers in front and behind you will help as well.
Looking forward to Saturday!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 03:14:43 PM by BLACKHAWKJEEP »

3.5" Metal Cloak Rocksport Edition
35s Nitto Trail Grapplers
301 Method Wheels
Ox Locker

#TeamJeepGirls
Jeepin_Donnie
Club Vice President
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2019, 03:12:45 PM »

Hi all please be nice to this rookie going on his first real ride (after my 101 training)! I won't arrive at Fairfield till midnight (damn work thing) but will be ready to go in am! My stock Sahara 2018 is all I got so far. So hoping that's all I need (got the tire, TP, food and drinks and I think a working cb). So excited and thanks for patience ya'll!

Haha no worries!  You will be fine and will have a blast!  Full disclosure, you may scrape the bottom a little in some areas but that's why Jeep put OEM skid plates on your rig.   Mr. Green   And you will most likely get some surface scratches in your clear coat because of the brush.  But that's going to happen on every trail ride.  We have some excellent spotters on this ride and we'll take care of ya.  I can't wait for Saturday!  

PS Like Hiam said, there's no shame in taking a bypass!  There's no pressure on this ride for anyone to be out of their comfort zone!  Although what seems impossible for a stock rig is usually not with a great spotter!  Hiam did all of the trails with a stock rig herself!

R3
Member 2019 VA4WD
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2019, 06:06:09 AM »

I will echo what the others have said, we all were new to this at one time or another.  Your Jeep is  quite capable much more so than you might have first thought I have witnessed first hand a bone stock JK on street tires  with careful driving and some spotting  navigate the trails we are look at running with little to no issue. At Camp Heep last year there were a few  Bone stockers  runnng the trails.

OEM skid plates  are ok.  Many of us have  "up armored" to stronger skids, but  in reality the OEM will work fine  for  most trails.  with a long wheel base and no lift careful navigating of the trail is necessary.  drive around when you can  over if you have to  is a good what to start out. If you get to a spot that  makes you say  hummmm, ask for someone to spot you.   you will quickly  find that 1)  your rig is capable of great things and 2)  you will develop a trust in your fellow wheelers.  Oh and the first time you  use your skid plate you will have that  What the hell am I doing  thought/feeling, we all did.

In 101 training did  they go over sway bar disconnect?  Bring some tools and a blanket to lay on  to undo the low links up front. This will help you with  the uneven trails and work to keep the wheels ont he ground. In short help you stay  moving.

The spotters we have in this group are good. the goal is to keep the metal bits separate from the rock bits, damage is not a badge of honor.  That said  even in the Green trails  there are rocks and you have a good posibility of picking up some "rock rash" on the wheels. again some careful driving and we can limit that.  Spotters are there to help you.  looking at the front of the Jeep  they can see  the whole picture and guide you thru  things you would have never thought you can do.

Above all ask questions!  There are no dumb questions.

Warning, warning, warning...... this  activity of Wheeling can get in your blood..... LOL.

Looking forward to see all on the trails

Cheers
R3

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
4.5 Metal cloak
37 BFG ATs
Dynatrac, PSC, Barnes, Ried, RCV....
next?

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
R3
Member 2019 VA4WD
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2019, 07:35:59 AM »

Veeep,
Looks like we have a big group that is great news! Looking forward to all  attending.

For those who have been to Rausch Creek off road park  this will be old hat. For those who are new some info  for you.

Website  with trail maps: http://rc4x4.org/trail-system/ Don't get hung up on the color system. We have some greens  that test you skill and some blacks that are  not so black. The reds, well that is a different story they are a bit more challenging.  Stock JK/TJ will handle most anything short of RED trails, Stock JKU Blues to mild Blacks.  If you rig is lifted and has tires  most any trail is accessable. 

Phone apps: Maplets or  Maprika I use  the latter.  Load these on you cell phone and find the Rausch creek maps. Then use the cell phone app as a moving map for trail guidance.  You can load this app on  either Android or Apple products, cell phones or tablets.

[i]All have to check in with the office passengers included.[/i]  If you are not a member of the park, you will have to join. Fine is $20.00 per year.

Rausch creek is a pay to play private park, the fine to play for the day is $50.00 per vehicle. You will be given a wrist band and a rig  sticker for the day both need to be displayed on you and your rig.

The trails range from  "bring a spare SD card" to "bring a trailer to get home" . The park is an old coal mine and associated area surrounding the old mine. Trails are well defined. West, South, East  property is rocky with some good mud holes The NE property is mostly green and blue  but the blues will get your attention. One trip we winched nearly every vehicle up a Blue trail.  Big Eyes Another  trip we drove  every vehicle thru a Black trail.... Dunno?  Most trails are two way, rarely are there traffic jams.

This time of year the trails could be snow covered, mix of ice and snow or just plain muddy. There are a few stream crossing creek/run-off  places on and around the trails.  Temps in that area are about 10-15 degrees colder than the local area around  DC.

Parking lot  is  big  gravel base, be respectful of others entering and leaving, if you are going to park  and ride  park away from the office.  Air is usually available  in the parking lot, there are several air stations and hoses for  airing up. Last trip up  these  were not functional  due to the cold. .

If you new,   ask questions!!!!!  Only stupid question is one not asked.  Few of us are pretty good  spotting  so if you need an extra set of eyes to clear a challenge  please  sing out.  No harm no foul and no shame  to ask for a spot  or to be on the winch at any point in the trip.  "Remember stupid we have to drive this home" is  in the front of my mind while  wheeling. 

You may rub things on the bottom of your rig.  I use the  approach slow is good slower is better in tough spots. If you get stuck don't panic .

Remember  this about having fun so enjoy the ride.

Cheers

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
4.5 Metal cloak
37 BFG ATs
next?

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
RattleTrap55
Member 2019
84 CJ7
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2019, 08:38:46 AM »

I am so looking forward to getting out once again.

For those without a CB I will have two (2) portable CB's with me. Each has a magnetic antenna & cigarette lighter type power plug.

I will arrive around on Friday around 5ish, unload, check-in, and be ready for wings & beer by 6:00.

4" Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Smittybilt 9,500 Winch
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
2002 TJ Sahara w/Very Rusted Frame
Glin60
Member 2019 VA4WD
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2019, 09:02:17 AM »

Great news!  My dad, who has somehow never been out wheeling with me, is flying in from Cincinnati to ride along.  Departing Springfield around 1400, guess that puts us in Pine Grove at 1700 assuming a 3 hr drive.  We're staying in the Comfort inn because it's ~$20 cheaper than Hampton Inn.  We may stay Saturday night, depending on how excited we feel about a 3 hr drive following a day of wheeling.  Realistically, what that probably means is it depends how ready we are for a beer.  Cheers

Have a CB in the jeep, but bringing hand held-two way radios in case anyone is in need.

Only question I have is: Where's the wing place?

2005 LJ 6MT Impact Orange
Savvy Mid Arm 4 inch lift + 1.25 BL
33x12.5r15 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ
Lock Right D30 front
Stock D44 limited slip rear
Jeepin_Donnie
Club Vice President
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2019, 09:54:01 AM »

Great news!  My dad, who has somehow never been out wheeling with me, is flying in from Cincinnati to ride along.  Departing Springfield around 1400, guess that puts us in Pine Grove at 1700 assuming a 3 hr drive.  We're staying in the Comfort inn because it's ~$20 cheaper than Hampton Inn.  We may stay Saturday night, depending on how excited we feel about a 3 hr drive following a day of wheeling.  Realistically, what that probably means is it depends how ready we are for a beer.  Cheers

Have a CB in the jeep, but bringing hand held-two way radios in case anyone is in need.

Only question I have is: Where's the wing place?

The wing place is O'Neals (click on the link below)!  It's a restaurant/bar with street parking and a parking lot across the street about 3 miles away from the hotels.  Cheers

https://www.facebook.com/onealspubpinegrovepa/

R3
Member 2019 VA4WD
« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2019, 11:57:21 AM »

Lets  plan to meet up at the Comfort Inn say 1800 and convoy down to the Pub.

Think Rattletrap55 is there too.

I am planning to hit the road round noon for the hampton inn camp ground.

Cheers
Rob

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
4.5 Metal cloak
37 BFG ATs
next?

sjalkian
Forum User
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2019, 12:50:21 PM »

Iím staying at the Comfort Inn as well, but Iíll likely be leaving Vienna between 7-8, so Iíll be up there between 10-11. How late you think you guys will be at the pub for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 TJ SE
4.25 total lift (3" SL and 1.25"BL)
33's
RattleTrap55
Member 2019
84 CJ7
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2019, 01:16:34 PM »

I am staying at the Comfort Inn as well - trailer friendly parking lot Very Happy

Garner

4" Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Smittybilt 9,500 Winch
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
2002 TJ Sahara w/Very Rusted Frame
R3
Member 2019 VA4WD
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2019, 02:09:30 PM »

For the Friday night pre run crew  Cheers

Don't anticipate a long night out  but who knows Figure  meet up with folks at Camp comfort inn round 1800 and head down to the pub for a few hours.  Yeah I know we lightweights. Saturday schedule:

0730 meet at Rausch Creek to  air down and Disconnect
 0800 check in get trail passes membership etc. Fill out the paperwork  before hand will make this faster. Yes they take plastic.
 0830ish  Driver meeting 
 Hit the trail after the driver meeting
Plan on being back in the parking lot before gates close 1700.

Debrief at the in Pine Grove ( wing and beer)

There is a small group heading out Sunday thinking Crawl Daddy then head back to VA.

Cheers

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
4.5 Metal cloak
37 BFG ATs
next?

Glin60
Member 2019 VA4WD
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2019, 04:33:21 PM »

Sounds like a plan  Thumbs Up

For the Friday night pre run crew  Cheers

Don't anticipate a long night out  but who knows Figure  meet up with folks at Camp comfort inn round 1800 and head down to the pub for a few hours.  Yeah I know we lightweights. Saturday schedule:

0730 meet at Rausch Creek to  air down and Disconnect
 0800 check in get trail passes membership etc. Fill out the paperwork  before hand will make this faster. Yes they take plastic.
 0830ish  Driver meeting 
 Hit the trail after the driver meeting
Plan on being back in the parking lot before gates close 1700.

Debrief at the in Pine Grove ( wing and beer)

There is a small group heading out Sunday thinking Crawl Daddy then head back to VA.

Cheers

2005 LJ 6MT Impact Orange
Savvy Mid Arm 4 inch lift + 1.25 BL
33x12.5r15 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ
Lock Right D30 front
Stock D44 limited slip rear
mikestatic
Forum User
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2019, 09:19:01 PM »

Looking forward to this trip. I am planning on leaving Alexandria around 1400, so hopefully around a 1700 arrival to pine Grove. Planning on the Hampton Inn. Might meet up for a beer and meet everyone before we wheel sat. I'll be driving home sat night, if anyone else wants to convoy back here.
Mike

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: