Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 16, 2019, 08:11:52 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UNLSHD - Blue 2005 LJ  (Read 9044 times)
unleashd
Member 2019
« on: February 25, 2019, 01:20:08 PM »

As some/many of you may know I had a 2004 TJ earlier last year that I sold and went back to an Excursion. A couple of weeks back, I was tempted/taunted by an acquaintance, that he was thinking of selling his one-owner-husband & wife driven-kept up with regular maintenance-rust free 2005 LJ. So, I went up to his place yesterday to take an up close look at the rig that I had only heard from him about. The weather wasn't very cooperative, but atleast the rain stopped for a while as I got to take the Jeep out for a spin.

Highlights:
Mileage - 176K
Overall- Bone stock Jeep with no mods done, no oil leaks, water pump and thermostat replaced 2 years back. Driver side floor boards are broken off.
Frame - Surface rust in most places, Typical body rust on the driver side front fender, surface rust in the rear wheel wells. This Jeep has never been wheeled before and has been a daily driver at all times.
Battery - Good, ~2 years old, Jeep starts quickly. I haven't had the battery tested yet.
Engine - the 4.0 runs very well and smooth. Idle was stable, pulled well through the gears, sounded nice & quiet with no struggles to stay running. Oil change will be performed.
Transmission - Very good shape, this was replaced 2 years back (forgot to ask if the replacement was new or from another Jeep), shifts nice & smooth, 4x4 works well. I plan to do a full oil flush and replacement. 4 spd Automatic
Diff - The 3.73 was pulling very well at low speeds, but I did notice that it struggled to keep up at higher speeds on the Interstate. Is this normal? or something that will need attention? Service will performed. No plans for regearing at the present time, but would like to run 33's on this for now.
Tires - Need to be replaced soon, they may get through inspection as there is a good amount of tread left, but have multiple bald spots with being parked for long times, Suggestions for tires are welcome?
Front End - This is where most of the work needs to be done, IMO. There is a significant vibration/shake that I could feel and it was compounded by the bad tires. I can think of replacing all the bushings, ball joints, tie rod etc. Anything else that I should be looking to do to get this running smoothly?
Top - Poor, Has to be replaced. Suggestions for new top? I had a Bestop on my previous TJ and really liked that and might splurge for that again.
Interior - Cloth seats are in fair shape with no tears, will need a very thorough cleaning as water has been dripping onto the passenger seat from the torn top. After they clean up, I'll throw on a water repellent seat cover. Tub is in good shape with no rust spots. The water drips have mostly been contained to the seats and not gone down to the floor. So, the carpets were all dry and covering the floor well.

Anything else that I need to go back and check again? I have an agreement on a price with him. Just don't want to haggle him much as well unless I have to Smile Here are some pics.

Appreciate your comments, queries, opinions and advice. TIA.

Prakash

o|||||||o
2005  LJ

Quote from: Runner
A 3.73 ratio, or 4.10 for that matter, won't cut it with 32-33" tires and the 42RLE automatic.  4.88 is the sweet spot
highlandercj-7
Member 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 03:16:24 PM »

If you can get it for a good deal and it's got a good frame go for it. Looks like a good platform.

HighlanderCJ-7
RattleTrap55
Member 2019
84 CJ7
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 03:37:33 PM »

I have a question - did all TJ come standard with a bent front bumper? I purchased a 2002 TJ with a rusted frame - the passenger side front bumper was bent - I purchased a 2004 frame (bumper still on the frame) with the driver's side front bumper bent in the same way - now I see pictures if the new-to-you 2005 TJ only to find the driver's side bumper is bent in the same way. What with this? Dunno?

All kidding aside, welcome back..

4" Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Smittybilt 9,500 Winch
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
2002 TJ Sahara w/Very Rusted Frame
unleashd
Member 2019
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 03:57:46 PM »

If you can get it for a good deal and it's got a good frame go for it. Looks like a good platform.

is $3K a good price? Should I haggle?

Prakash

o|||||||o
2005  LJ

A 3.73 ratio, or 4.10 for that matter, won't cut it with 32-33" tires and the 42RLE automatic.  4.88 is the sweet spot
unleashd
Member 2019
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 03:59:13 PM »

I have a question - did all TJ come standard with a bent front bumper? I purchased a 2002 TJ with a rusted frame - the passenger side front bumper was bent - I purchased a 2004 frame (bumper still on the frame) with the driver's side front bumper bent in the same way - now I see pictures if the new-to-you 2005 TJ only to find the driver's side bumper is bent in the same way. What with this? Dunno?

All kidding aside, welcome back..

Thanks for the welcome. Dunno what's with the bent bumpers. My previous TJ also had a bumper ornament Dunno? Dunno?

Prakash

o|||||||o
2005  LJ

overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 04:13:10 PM »

is $3K a good price? Should I haggle?

I'm sorry what.

3k?

05Lj????

with almost 200k on it...

KBB rough estimate is 6-9k

People have been selling rubicon ljs for 12+ the last year.

Granted this isant a rubicon but still.

Buy this.
Buy it now.
If you pass on this. let me know. I'l buy it put the front end parts on it and new tires and change the brake calipers because it sounds like they could be seizing with sitting so long. and sell it for double it. GAH BUY THIS.

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 04:18:31 PM »

I donít know much about the TJs, but from what LJs are selling for, this is a really good deal. Depending on that rusty frame.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
unleashd
Member 2019
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 05:00:55 PM »

I'm sorry what.

3k?

05Lj????

with almost 200k on it...

KBB rough estimate is 6-9k

People have been selling rubicon ljs for 12+ the last year.

Granted this isant a rubicon but still.

Buy this.
Buy it now.
If you pass on this. let me know. I'l buy it put the front end parts on it and new tires and change the brake calipers because it sounds like they could be seizing with sitting so long. and sell it for double it. GAH BUY THIS.

I will let you know "IF" I pass Very Happy:D

Prakash

o|||||||o
2005  LJ

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 05:03:37 PM »

Seriously, depending on that frame, you could flip it and make $$ like Stephen (Overhead) is suggesting. I wish I had room for another Jeep/vehicle.

I almost bought a TJ a year ago for $2,500. But the frame was too far gone. I have done a frame swap. Donít really want to do another.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

unleashd
Member 2019
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 05:04:39 PM »

I donít know much about the TJs, but from what LJs are selling for, this is a really good deal. Depending on that rusty frame.

From what I saw, this was all surface rusty, that I hope will come off easy and then I could coat it. Plan to it up soon. At this price, I may be able to justify the additional costs to the home auditor for rust treatment and other planned upgrades Smile

Prakash

o|||||||o
2005  LJ

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 05:13:32 PM »

From what I saw, this was all surface rusty, that I hope will come off easy and then I could coat it. Plan to it up soon. At this price, I may be able to justify the additional costs to the home auditor for rust treatment and other planned upgrades Smile

Definitely treat the frame. You should check the amount of loose scaled rust sitting inside the frame through the holes in the frame. My frame looked decent from the outside, but the inside was rotting away quickly. So I put eastwoodís internal frame sealant on the new one before the rebuild.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 05:31:53 PM »

Yeah if this owner is actually offering this for 3 grand, that is a stupid good price and you should get on it.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
AutoTraker
Forum User
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 05:47:18 PM »

A LJ for $3k is a no brainier. Just buy it.
You could just unload it again making some money off it if you decide you don't really want it.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

--
Rich...
Last count have 3 Jeeps. A CJ, TJ & a XJ.  Also got a Yota.
I Live in a Country Founded by Geniuses but Run by Idiots.
Central Virginia Jeepers
RCPFA
JEEPIN J
Member 2018
Richmond, VA
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 06:12:07 PM »

3K is a bad deal, and you should post the contact information for the owner of this Jeep here so that the rest of us can contact them about this "bad deal" Laughing

97 TJ 35s & the like
Build on NVJA
Build on JF
unleashd
Member 2019
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 06:52:12 PM »

3K is a bad deal, and you should post the contact information for the owner of this Jeep here so that the rest of us can contact them about this "bad deal" Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Prakash

o|||||||o
2005  LJ

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: