Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
August 17, 2019, 10:34:48 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2300 mile road trip  (Read 336 times)
Onyx Dragon
Forum User
« on: May 14, 2019, 07:06:34 AM »

Ok.  So I just got back from a long trip.  I went from Northern Virginia, to the Eastern Short of MD, to Nashville in Indiana, did a bunch of wedding stuff, then back to the Eastern Shore, and back to Northern Virginia.  Here's my thoughts on my JL after so long in it.

1. Seats.  My 99 Cherokee seats are better.  That being said, I have always liked the XJ seats.  But I think my JK seats were better as well.  These aren't that great for a long trip IMO.  Though I do realize body shapes are different, and this may not apply to others.

2. I traveled with my sister and nephew.  My sister confirmed the clutch sucks in that it has no real feel to it.

3. The engine did well at nearly 80 MPH.  It was fairly quiet

4. The Unlimited actually has a fair amount of room in it for such a trip.  The ability to drop part of the rear seat gives you more storage room, yet lets you keep a passenger in the back as well.  This is a LOT better than my TJ and JK as you had to use the storage you had with the seat up, put the seat down, or take it out.  No other option.

5. The MPG was surprisingly good.  I'm sitting around high 24 MPG right now (that's taking into account the over estimation done by the computer, which currently reads 25.7 MPG).

Overall, I feel it's a good vehicle for a road trip.  There's the obvious security risks if you have a soft top, since you can't leave anything in it without purchasing a deck lid or such, but if you aren't traveling with a lot of equipment, it shouldn't really be an issue.

Bill Staples
1999 XJ
2018 JL Unlimited
ogre45
Member 2019
Winchester,VA
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 11:31:29 AM »

That's a bit of driving. Nice review of the new model. Which engine do you have?  Cheers

Alex
1969 Jeepster Commando 2in lift, always in work
2018 JKU Golden Eagle,Teraflex leveling kit
Onyx Dragon
Forum User
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 09:01:32 AM »

That's a bit of driving. Nice review of the new model. Which engine do you have?  Cheers

3.6.  Had I been more diligent in my research and saw the diesels were coming out, I would have waited.  oh well.

Bill Staples
1999 XJ
2018 JL Unlimited
Bunks-tj
Forum User
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 09:30:48 AM »

All good info especially since i am looking into getting back in a Jeep myself  Cheers

2000 Tj with a BB and 33x1250 bfg ko's SOLD
1967 M416 trailer under SLOW reconstruction
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: