Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
May 26, 2019, 02:35:00 AM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moab 2019 Easter Jeep Safari  (Read 441 times)
AZVAJKU
Forum User
« on: May 14, 2019, 07:52:48 PM »

So I was finally able to make it out to Moab for EJS. 

The bottom line its is the most fun I have had in my Jeep in a really long time and I highly recommend it to anyone who has been considering it.   Thumbs Up

It took me three days of driving to get there and I had to split my stay between two different motels due to waiting and booking my room September!   Dunno?

I did a combination of Red Rock Wheelers sponsored EJS trails and then ran trails with friends and also had some industry trail invites.  I did some easy trails and some hard trails.

The vendor show had some good stuff and a couple of companies had displays set up in town.  I met a bunch of really nice Jeepers and saw some unbelievable rigs.  There were people there wheeling for their first time and others who had 50 years or more under their belt.

Below are a few pictures

Headed down hill from Monticello to Moab

Getting closer to Moab

Overlooking Moab

Working our way out of Kane Creek

Hell's Revenge

Another on Hell's Revenge with Jeep's Gladiator in front of me.  They wheeled it pretty hard

Secret Spire

Steel Bender

Crystal Geyser

Hell Cat motor in Jeep M715 Concept vehicle    Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I am really looking forward to going next year.

1idrod
Member 2019
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 08:00:28 PM »

That looks like a great time!! Awesom pics. Jealous

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

WWW Logged

2018 JL 2door Rubicon
Gogged
Member 2019
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 09:56:07 PM »

Looks awesome! Headed there in a month w six others! We hope to hit some of those trails and see that scenery! Not looking forward to the three day drive....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:04:04 PM by Gogged »

2018 JLUR 3.5" Metalcloak lift, 37s

'06 TJ Sport...sold..

V.P. Black Goat Offroad Club
Redleg
Committee: Trail Rides
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 08:24:07 AM »

Looks awesome! Headed there in a month w six others! We hope to hit some of those trails and see that scenery! Not looking forward to the three day drive....

All part of the experience, Josh!  Think of the quality time on the CB with me talking smack to you the whole way! We will definitely be doing Kane Creek, I have a score to settle with that trail.  Broke my sector shaft off on that one last time! We did it at night though, which was pretty fun.

Bill
President - Black Goat Off-Road Club
2016 JKU Sahara  (mine)
2002 TJ Sport (mine too, but I let my son drive it)
AZVAJKU
Forum User
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 03:56:02 PM »

You will have an awesome time.

If you have not booked lodging/camping space do it now!!  Places to stay can be hard to find even when itís not EJS.

AZVAJKU
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 04:02:34 PM »

True. The ride out was actually a good time, with a group traveling together it will be even better.
I took my time and made plenty of gas stops for coffee in and coffee out.

Kane Creek broke several Jeeps while I was there. If youíre heavy on the skinny pedal it can get expensive.

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
The seller and trader of many things.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 06:34:19 AM »

Have to ask, what was roughly your end $$$ tab when all was said and done?  Always curious about how much I would need to set aside to make this happen (sans-unforeseen Jeep repairs). 

And of course, if you don't want to share...no worries

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
Redleg
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 07:35:16 AM »

Have to ask, what was roughly your end $$$ tab when all was said and done?  Always curious about how much I would need to set aside to make this happen (sans-unforeseen Jeep repairs). 

Trying to remember what I spent last time (and I won't get into what I broke out there and that cost), but for food, gas and camping, I think it was around $2K.  I drove my jeep out last time. You can pretty much figure out the MPG and cost of gasoline with a map to get there and back, we tent camped last time in a group area for a week and stayed at campgrounds on the way out so that was cheapest way for lodging and then we cooked most of our food once there.  Alcohol was probably biggest expense while there.

This time will be a little more as I am towing a Jeep on a trailer with a super duty and a truck camper on that.  So, fuel cost will be a little more for me and I am using full hook up camping sites at the campgrounds vs. primitive.

John may remember the exact numbers better than me though.

Bill
2016 JKU Sahara  (mine)
jdavis2nd
Club Member at Large
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 07:43:08 AM »

Trying to remember what I spent last time (and I won't get into what I broke out there and that cost), but for food, gas and camping, I think it was around $2K.  I drove my jeep out last time. You can pretty much figure out the MPG and cost of gasoline with a map to get there and back, we tent camped last time in a group area for a week and stayed at campgrounds on the way out so that was cheapest way for lodging and then we cooked most of our food once there.  Alcohol was probably biggest expense while there.

This time will be a little more as I am towing a Jeep on a trailer with a super duty and a truck camper on that.  So, fuel cost will be a little more for me and I am using full hook up camping sites at the campgrounds vs. primitive.

Bill is pretty close on numbers. Here is what I am remembering

$900-1000 fuel
$200-300 camping
$300-400 food
$100-200 souvenirs and misc items

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 08:17:05 AM »

$900-1000 fuel
$200-300 camping
$300-400 food

I do remember hearing time and time again that fuel is the real killer, whether you drive or tow.

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
Redleg
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 08:36:01 AM »

$900-1000 fuel
$200-300 camping
$300-400 food

I do remember hearing time and time again that fuel is the real killer, whether you drive or tow.

+ $900 for a new PSC HD steering pump after I blew my sector shaft up at 9:00 at night on Kane Creek
+ $700 in gears and install kit for the front diff that exploded on "Chewy" in Pritchet Canyon
+ $150 for the tie rod end on the giant Currie I used to run that bent on Holy Cross in CO.

At least the bent Metal Cloak CA was replaced under their warranty! Bonus!

But it is worth every dime if you can swing it. Trip of a lifetime if you own a Jeep.  Can't wait to head out again, next month!

Bill
2016 JKU Sahara  (mine)
wbsjp
Member 2018
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 04:00:41 PM »

Last falls trip to the NAXJA event.4565 miles,352.4 gal of gas, $1107.48 gas cost. $3.14 average price for gas.

I got 12.95 MPG with a 4.0L in an old XJ,with 400,000 miles on it......

Wayne
  AARP,NAXJA,NRA Endowment member
"the cost of Freedom isn,t Free"
Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 04:09:25 PM »

Last falls trip to the NAXJA event.4565 miles,352.4 gal of gas, $1107.48 gas cost. $3.14 average price for gas.

I got 12.95 MPG with a 4.0L in an old XJ,with 400,000 miles on it......

ow

2002 TJ Sport

- Adam
AZVAJKU
Forum User
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 07:09:45 PM »

I think I spent around $2,500.

Gas was the largest expenditure.  I spoke with a couple of guys who pitched in and had their rigs brought out on a commercial car hauler. I donít know the details but it might be worth looking into.   Dunno?

To save a little I picked a cheaper hotel that still had breakfast included and ate cheap trail food for lunch consisting mostly of tortillas and lunch meat/peanut butter. A lot of my dinners were on the cheap too but I ate at the Moab Brewery and Blu Pig a couple of times.  I brought a bunch of booze out from my favorite Virginia breweries and distilleries and that saved me some $$.   Good thing I did not crash on the way out. 🔥🔥

On a related note, by Utah law draft beer is 4% and the same beer in a can is higher Ďoctaneí, just saying.  Very Happy

Bottom line is itís well worth the $$ and if I can only have one splurge a year it would be this.

Redleg
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 07:35:42 AM »

I think I spent around $2,500.

Gas was the largest expenditure.  I spoke with a couple of guys who pitched in and had their rigs brought out on a commercial car hauler. I don’t know the details but it might be worth looking into.   Dunno?

To save a little I picked a cheaper hotel that still had breakfast included and ate cheap trail food for lunch consisting mostly of tortillas and lunch meat/peanut butter. A lot of my dinners were on the cheap too but I ate at the Moab Brewery and Blu Pig a couple of times.  I brought a bunch of booze out from my favorite Virginia breweries and distilleries and that saved me some $$.   Good thing I did not crash on the way out. 🔥🔥

On a related note, by Utah law draft beer is 4% and the same beer in a can is higher ‘octane’, just saying.  Very Happy

Bottom line is it’s well worth the $$ and if I can only have one splurge a year it would be this.

Totally agree

Bill
2016 JKU Sahara  (mine)
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: