Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
November 21, 2019, 07:03:35 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fender flares  (Read 1103 times)
MusketStyle
Forum User
Ramming it through... MusketStyle
« on: June 28, 2019, 08:08:35 AM »

I bought the rugged ridge fender flares about 3 years ago for my CJ7 and procrastination for the better of me. I am now trying to install them and realized they are a complete waste of money unless you guys know something I don't.

I can only trim the outer fender back to the raised lip (1"-2") but the after market flares sit back about 6-8"

It looks awful, only solution I see is cut what I can and paint the rest black so it is less noticable. But man I am really steamed about how it looks at the moment.

Question is, how do you trim this in such a way that it doesn't look like a mistake?

Google search shows the same problem on other CJs but no one seems to comment on solutions.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2002 WJ I6 selectrak, transmission shift kit

1985 CJ7 I6 258 4.2L
Dana 300
T-5 transmission
32x11.50x15
DamienD
Forum User
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 05:52:57 AM »

I'd look at tube fenders before you destroyed those fenders

highlandercj-7
Member 2019
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 06:42:48 AM »

The short answer is you can't, easily. My fenders are fiberglass, so I opened them up to the max point I could, right to the edge of where the inner and outer fender come together, I cut that lip off and then as you said painted that entire part black so it blends and looks clean.

That said, since your fenders are steel you can take them back farther but it's going to be a PIA and require some fabrication. To make it open more you would have to cut the inner fender welds loose cut and extend the inner fender back to meet the end of the new fender opening and then re-weld the seems. Keeping in mind anything on the inner fenders may need moved due to less clearance and space under the hood (IE the evap can, window washer bottle, etc). IMHO this is a waste of time unless you are running 40's or something like that with a minimal lift. I run a 4" lift with TJ flares and 35's. I don't have any clearance issues that would require the excessive mods to open that up. It would be purely for looks. I would rather black it out and leave the extra room under the hood to make it easier to work on things and more room for the accessories under the hood.

HighlanderCJ-7
MusketStyle
Forum User
Ramming it through... MusketStyle
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 02:58:10 PM »

Thanks all, I have given up on the plastic fender flares. I will be going to the Smittybuilt tube flares and may use the plastic ones on the rear. I do run pretty hard at full articulation with my 35s. I have a 4.25 combined suspension lift and a 1" body lift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2002 WJ I6 selectrak, transmission shift kit

1985 CJ7 I6 258 4.2L
Dana 300
T-5 transmission
32x11.50x15
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: