Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
December 05, 2019, 10:17:33 PM

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ball Joints on a CJ  (Read 1415 times)
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« on: June 25, 2019, 06:57:38 PM »

So I needed new front tires due to bad ball joints. I have not been able to make time to do them so I figured OK. Let the shop do them. Well, they couldnít. So now I have brand new tires and a need to get ball joints replaced before I destroy these tires too.

I know overhead has offered assistance and tools, but getting schedules aligned may be a problem. Does anyone else have the tools to do it?  Can ya help a Jeeper out? 

And yes, I am considering another shop. But not super excited to drive to Winchester or Stafford etc to do it. But I will.

Grrrrrr. Venting a little.

Here are the new tires though.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
XJBayne
Member 2019
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 07:16:22 PM »

Nice meaty tires!  I donít have the tools to do it, but if you have a buddy with a trailer, let me know if my Duramax can be of any assistance getting it to a shop.

98 XJ
zuke
Forum User
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 07:40:31 PM »

I know you said you don't want to drive to Stafford or Fred, But I have all the tools, and a lift, If you wanted to bring it down here.... Biggest problem is timing, it'd pretty much have to be a weeknight, as I'm booked up the next three weekends!

John
2017 BU Trailhawk
2015 JK Unlimited Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited
2006 TJ Rubicon
1999 TJ SE
overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 08:21:19 PM »

I can help with the trailer side of things or the scheduling thing dain. Let me know what you're thinking. I've got the stuff to make it way easier now a days now that I'm set up at the house. Just gotta borrow a biddies press

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 08:31:25 PM »

I can help with the trailer side of things or the scheduling thing dain. Let me know what you're thinking. I've got the stuff to make it way easier now a days now that I'm set up at the house. Just gotta borrow a biddies press

I will let you know Stephen.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

lordhelemt
Forum User
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 06:31:28 AM »

I have a press. If you can get the knuckles to me I can press them in/out for you.

highlandercj-7
Member 2019
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 07:23:50 AM »

Start spraying the top joint with Kroil / PB blaster. The adjustment sleeve can be a pain if it's rusted up. Do you have the ball joints already?

HighlanderCJ-7
cwkann
WC, VRC, EC
Committee: Trail Rides
Winchester, VA
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 07:53:44 AM »

I have a press you can use.  But it is in Winchester....  If someone is headed your way we can work out transport.

'03 Rubicon- 4.5" RE LA, 37"s, A bunch of skids by TNT, Poison Spyder, EMP, Rock Hard, Warn, Kilby and custom fab work.  CAI, Power chip, Exhaust, 4.88 gears and chromoly axles by Yukon. OBA and Powertank, one ton steering, Teraflex Swaybar system, MM 9500lb winch and a bunch of other stuff...
majestek12
Forum User
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 10:50:46 AM »

Shop couldn't do it because they didn't have time on the schedule or because of a bigger issue with them?

Ball joint presses and the four-wheel drive adapter cup sets are common free-rental tools at Advance and AutoZone. Not the best quality tools, but generally better built than Harbor freight, and have always worked for my needs. Before taking it home make sure that the clamp is in good shape as well as the threads on the screw. Don't want to get home just to realize that somebody else boogered them up.

On old and or stubborn ball joints I've always found it best not to just keep cranking on the screw of the press, but get it tight and then whack the side of the knuckle or inner C with a hammer, the vibrations will very often allow the joint to move. Then retighten, smack, and repeat until it comes free. Be sure to press in the new ball joints in the proper sequence, very often you have to use one of the holes to put the screw of the ball joint press through. Nothing like installing one joint just to realize you have to take it back out to do the other one first. I'm unfamiliar with the CJ axle but different vehicles I've worked on sometimes have the joints pressed into the inner C, sometimes the knuckle. Before fully reinstalling any joint mock-up how you'll press in the other one to make sure you don't trip yourself up.

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 06:41:59 PM »

Thanks for the advice.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

HAWAIICJ
MacGyver
BOD
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 05:30:19 AM »

I have always air hammered them out of the knuckle and used the ball joint press to install and seat the new ball joints. Then you mount the knuckle to the axle, set the preload and reassemble the front end.  Grab a Wrench!

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 05:33:48 AM »

I have always air hammered them out of the knuckle and used the ball joint press to install and seat the new ball joints. Then you mount the knuckle to the axle, set the preload and reassemble the front end.  Grab a Wrench!

Yeah. That is how I have seen it done. I just need the air pickle fork and the press.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

overhead
Club President
Crap, someone call Trevor.
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 05:54:48 AM »

Yeah. That is how I have seen it done. I just need the air pickle fork and the press.

If you've got a big enough compressor I can lend you the airnhammer piclel fork and what not

The only thing about a Yj that's reliable is its mechanic.

Joey to Mike- That's more like it! Never done.....just outta money at the moment.

atjeep-Every time a YJ passes inspection, an angel gets it's wings.
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 06:15:50 AM »

If you've got a big enough compressor I can lend you the airnhammer piclel fork and what not

I have a 1 gallon pancake compressor. Not sure if it is big enough. It canít do the removal of lug nuts I know that.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

HAWAIICJ
MacGyver
BOD
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 07:05:27 AM »

No pickle fork is needed just 1" anvil for hammer. Loosen the nuts and using 2 large hammers (one on each side) hold one up against the inner "c " beside the ball joint and hit the other side with the other hammer. once both are loose then remove knuckle and secure in the vise, remove snap rings and using air hammer drive out the bottom ball joint then place air hammer through the bottom joint hole and drive out the upper. Clean and dress the holes to receive the new ball joints. Press the upper into the knuckle then the lower. install them into the axle and set ball joint preload with the threaded sleeve.

You will need a larger capacity compressor or a large tank as the air hammer requires more air volume than most air tools.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: