Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
November 13, 2019, 10:25:19 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what did you do to your Jeep today? July 2019  (Read 15052 times)
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 04:55:14 PM »

Tuesday night I hit a raised manhole and the rear wheel came off the ground a little. Then I heard a loud clunk when it landed and a horrible grinding noise as the wheel rotated all the way home. Took the drum off to see the adjusting screw at the top and the clip that rests against it to adjust the screw was ground to crap. So I used the spare parts I had from April to get myself going and purchased a full set of parts (left and right) to swap out the screw this weekend.

And then I started researching disc brake conversions.

what rear axle do you have again?

Amc 20 with one piece axles.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
BlueKJ
Member 2019
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 05:37:14 PM »

Got it running before the rain hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 05:42:40 PM »

Got it running before the rain hit.

Sweet!

Is that a Javelin?  AMX?

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

BlueKJ
Member 2019
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 05:49:22 PM »

Sweet!

Is that a Javelin?  AMX?
[/quote]

390 AMX. Just put a new tranny in it last week.

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2019, 06:46:58 PM »

Sweet!

Is that a Javelin?  AMX?

390 AMX. Just put a new tranny in it last week.
[/quote]

Awesome. Love the AMX.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Jeepsnbuses
Member 2019
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2019, 10:29:21 PM »

Installed my 36-tooth speedo gear this morning, and also diagnosing a clunking noise I'm hearing when coming off throttle.  Trans mount is new and motor mounts are good, as are the front U-joints.  It's slight, but there does seem to be some play in the likely OE rear driveshaft U-joints.  Being as they are the originals, I'm having a heck of a time knocking the old ones out.

Anyone in the Reston area have a standalone press that I could borrow?  If not, a large vise would probably work.  Hammering away on two blocks of wood on my floor isn't giving me the power I need...

HEAT HEAT HEAT
and pb blaster.

So what youíre saying is, donít be a baby and just hit it?

A large socket under around 1.25Ē and one on top approx 1/2Ēdr x3/4Ē will create a press. Smash it on concrete with a BFH.

haha x2 for donít be a baby. The humidity today didnít help, itíll probably come out tomorrow.

WWW Logged

2002 TJ Sport
Tow rig: 1973 Thomas school bus RV conversion. It's slow.

- Adam
Jeep Freak
Website Committee/TRC
BOD
Jeep Jedi
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 05:53:01 AM »

Tuesday night I hit a raised manhole and the rear wheel came off the ground a little. Then I heard a loud clunk when it landed and a horrible grinding noise as the wheel rotated all the way home. Took the drum off to see the adjusting screw at the top and the clip that rests against it to adjust the screw was ground to crap. So I used the spare parts I had from April to get myself going and purchased a full set of parts (left and right) to swap out the screw this weekend.

I used a TSM Manufacturing kit for the Waggie D44 in my YJ. they have a kit for the AMC 20 as well.
https://www.tsmmfg.net/jeep-cj5-7-8-complete-rear-disc-brake-kit-2590.html

'93 YJ SOA on 36s
'13 JKUR
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 06:19:09 AM »

I used a TSM Manufacturing kit for the Waggie D44 in my YJ. they have a kit for the AMC 20 as well.

Thanks Aaron. I was looking at that kit. And they emailed me the pricing yesterday. Sounds like a good kit.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

highlandercj-7
Member 2019
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2019, 06:34:37 AM »

LOVE THE AMX!

HighlanderCJ-7
BlueKJ
Member 2019
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 05:06:24 PM »

LOVE THE AMX!

Thanks sheís a little rough but looks good from a distance.

BlueKJ
Member 2019
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2019, 05:08:16 PM »

Took the diesel KJ out to the Mopar show at Carisle today. Averaged 33mpg and used a 1/4 tank to get there and back.

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2019, 05:21:21 PM »

Took the diesel KJ out to the Mopar show at Carisle today. Averaged 33mpg and used a 1/4 tank to get there and back.

Impressive

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2019, 04:42:27 PM »

Created a support for my bikini top using pvc. And of course, since it was me, I now have to go buy a new rearview mirror.

I might paint the pvc. Maybe not.

When it fell off of the windshield, of course it hit the console with the glass and cracked. Ugh

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Jeep Freak
Website Committee/TRC
BOD
Jeep Jedi
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2019, 05:32:59 PM »

Thanks Aaron. I was looking at that kit. And they emailed me the pricing yesterday. Sounds like a good kit.

Just a heads up, not sure you have to do it for the AMC 20 kit, but i had to source soft lines to run from the hard line to the calipers on my own. for my kit, the lines out of a '98 Pontiac Grand Am worked. we didn't have the luxury of calling TSM to get their recommendation since we encountered the issue mid build and the Jeep had to drive out of the borrowed shop space we were using at the end of the day. I' d recommend asking TSM if the lines are included or which to use if not if you go with their kit.

'93 YJ SOA on 36s
'13 JKUR
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2019, 05:54:33 PM »

Just a heads up, not sure you have to do it for the AMC 20 kit, but i had to source soft lines to run from the hard line to the calipers on my own. for my kit, the lines out of a '98 Pontiac Grand Am worked. we didn't have the luxury of calling TSM to get their recommendation since we encountered the issue mid build and the Jeep had to drive out of the borrowed shop space we were using at the end of the day. I' d recommend asking TSM if the lines are included or which to use if not if you go with their kit.
They say i will need to get some soft extensions to run as you say. So I will be prepared for that. They said in the email that it will require one tack weld per side, but others on the web have said it is not needed. Did you need to?

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: