Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
July 21, 2019, 12:55:10 PM

Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good pricing and lift install in NOVA  (Read 281 times)
JeeprDC
Forum User
« on: July 11, 2019, 09:49:03 PM »

Hi All,

First time poster... long time lurker. I have a Rough Country 2.5 spacer lift kit (budget). I need to get installed but I donít want to get killed in labor. I live in the city and most of my friends arenít ďmechanicallyĒ inclined lol. I my self have never worked on a Jeep so I donít want to mess it up and I donít have tools or space to even attempt it in the parking garage of my building. My question is are there any shops that are recommend if I bring them my kit to have them install it at a fair price? I really want to learn how to work on my Jeep but need to sit this first mod out. Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated and thanks in advance!

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 10:00:33 PM »

Why sit it out?  That is something that a lot of us would be willing to help with and you can learn while we show you. Post up in the wrenching parties asking for help and space.

I know a lot of times my garage/driveway has been used as has others here. Depending on how far you are willing to go, and the timing, I bet you could get some of us to help you out.

Just a thought. You can learn so much about your suspension just looking on and asking questions. Not many shops will let you in the back while they work either.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
JeeprDC
Forum User
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 11:26:49 PM »

Thatís a great idea! Thanks!!!

R3
Committee: Trail Rides
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 05:03:13 AM »

I have tools, a garage....need help ask. Be happy to host a wrenching party

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
EVO long arms and King Coil overs
37 BFG KM3
Dynatrac, PSC, Barnes, Ried, RCV....

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
JeeprDC
Forum User
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 02:12:14 PM »

Thanks R3 and yes I would like to take you up on that offer! I really also want to learn, having always wanting a Jeep since I can remember but my long term GF (now ex thank god lol) was so worried about owning one. Finally got one .. Iím still waiting on my rims and 35 tires to come in .. and just debating going with the teraflex lift instead of the rough country spacer lift from what Iíve been reading. I can supply plenty of pizza beer heck bourbon and Irish whiskey if everyone likes that as well haha. Iíll message you when I have delivery dates and we can talk. I really appreciate the help and thank you. I have a feeling this jeep is going to make me want to move out of DC and back into Nova so I can have a garage lol.

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 03:26:00 PM »

If you can swing the tereflex lift, i would say to do it. I have helped to install a few of those. They are nice kits. And post up when you know dates, I would be happy to help if I am free.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
R3
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 05:03:19 PM »

So some thoughts on lifts. Look up in the tech section. I did a write up on mods.

JL or JK?
JL will be ok on 35s stock.

JK... Not so much.

Lots of options...cheap is not the way to go. Leveling and cheap puck kits do not perform well.

Short arm kits in OEM frame locations induce axle steer. Drop mounts put your geometry back to OEM.

Long arms kits reduct axle steer making drivability much nicer.

There is a lot to consider with a lift...lots of math to make sure that it not only works well be performs well.

Stay away from cheap....

Question. Why a lift? Is there a goal for the build? Have you wheeled it as is? OEM is pretty capable out of the box.

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
37 BFG KM3

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
R3
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 05:04:50 PM »

Feel free to call me to chat.

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
37 BFG KM3

nosigma
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 05:55:43 PM »

Lift and tires look good.  Skids are forever and never regretted.  JKs and JLs are damn capable stock, until you screw up.  Lift and tires let you to go places that stock skids may not be up to.  Show or Go?  As an XJ guy I will let those who have suffered stock damage reccomend skids.  Consider it.  Lifts change, skids you keep forever and make off roading fun, not regretfully expensive.

John
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 06:09:01 PM by nosigma »

VirginiaZJ "Frank, Stop. Don't come down here"
Somebody: "Is John in a predicament?"
VirginiaZJ "The front of his Jeep is facing me now"
Somebody: "Yeah, I guess that's a predicament"

Quote overhead
Thought I saw nosigma at eastern mountain sports but it turns out the guys xj had been sideswiped
nosigma
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 06:05:14 PM »

Hold a lift party, install what you have.  Take some of the money you save and buy some skids.  Run the new lift, and then upgrade the lift if you want to with an undamaged rig.

John
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 06:06:47 PM by nosigma »

VirginiaZJ "Frank, Stop. Don't come down here"
Somebody: "Is John in a predicament?"
VirginiaZJ "The front of his Jeep is facing me now"
Somebody: "Yeah, I guess that's a predicament"

Quote overhead
Thought I saw nosigma at eastern mountain sports but it turns out the guys xj had been sideswiped
R3
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 09:24:00 AM »

Thanks R3 and yes I would like to take you up on that offer! I really also want to learn, having always wanting a Jeep since I can remember but my long term GF (now ex thank god lol) was so worried about owning one. Finally got one .. Iím still waiting on my rims and 35 tires to come in .. and just debating going with the teraflex lift instead of the rough country spacer lift from what Iíve been reading. I can supply plenty of pizza beer heck bourbon and Irish whiskey if everyone likes that as well haha. Iíll message you when I have delivery dates and we can talk. I really appreciate the help and thank you. I have a feeling this jeep is going to make me want to move out of DC and back into Nova so I can have a garage lol.

Take a read here. http://novajeepers.net/index.php?topic=30671.0  Some thoughts from the cheap seats.

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
37 BFG KM3

Redleg
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 10:03:41 AM »

Hold a lift party, install what you have.  Take some of the money you save and buy some skids.  Run the new lift, and then upgrade the lift if you want to with an undamaged rig.

John

Buy some kids?  Back away from the brown water, John!

Bill
President - Black Goat Off-Road Club
2016 JKU Sahara -4.5 Metal Cloak Lock n Load long arm, 38" Milestars, Pro Rock 44, 4.88 gears/Arb Lockers etc.
1998 TJ Crawler -  back half'd, tons, LS, Atlas, ORI Struts and custom cage, 42s, etc.
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: