Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
September 19, 2019, 07:22:04 AM

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 91 Cherokee XJ Laredo - "Bonnie Blue"  (Read 1988 times)
SOCL
Forum User
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 07:21:49 AM »

As the owner of 4 Cherokees, I would suggest that you pull the carpet  in the rear seat floor boards and cargo area and look for rust.
After the flooding last month my mechanic did that and reported no rust, but he also didn't tell me about the rusted out rear bumper bracket.  I'll check it out - thanks!

Hopefuly there is an 8 1/4 rear axle, if not the D35 should be replaced for piece of mind.
I don't believe it's a Dana 35 - I'll need to get photos of it to post, but I am almost certain it's the stock Chrysler 8.25

NAXJA would be your go to place for advice.
Just joined! Thumbs Up

WWW Logged

1991 Jeep Cherokee XJ Laredo 4.0L AMC I6 5-speed manual - "βonnie βlue"

-Saśl
SOCL
Forum User
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 07:33:56 PM »

The shop finished installing the bumper and winch, and then today I spent 6 hours making further changes:
  • -Removed the rusted out rear bumper brackets and replaced with new ones from Crown Automotive
  • -Removed the bumpers from the front bumper and installed them on the rear bumper (just for fun!)
  • -Reused the front bumper's license plate bracket with some zip-ties to make a roof-rack license plate mount

You can see the photos of today's work down below.

Next up: New suspension with 3-inch lift is in the mail and headed to the shop, after which we'll get the Grabber all-terrains installed. I'm hoping to get at least those things installed before taking the rig on a field test the first weekend of September in the Washington/Jefferson National Forest.

If anyone has a recommendation on vehicle welding services, I'm looking for somewhere to get front D-ring mounts welded to the front bumper and, more importantly, have frame-stiffeners welded on to the body.

WWW Logged

-Saśl
RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 06:36:28 AM »

Looking good!  I'd check into that tag mounting position - it may not be quite legal.  They do make brackets that clip onto the winch so it is in the OEM location.  I see you are going to the 3" lift.  Good choice with all of the added armor.

FYI - Getting antique tags has some limitations.  One being you can't leave the state - but I've never heard of it being enforced.

Also, I always love to hear somebody lives in Del-Ray.  Both my parents grew up on Hume Avenue (the first block from Rte. 1) along with all grand-parents, aunts and uncles, going back to 1898.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
SOCL
Forum User
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 06:46:04 AM »

Looking good!  I'd check into that tag mounting position - it may not be quite legal.
I checked and Virginia law only states that license plates must be "attached to the front and the rear of the vehicle." (citation here)  It does not go into the specifics of where precisely. I got the idea from somebody who did it with a Wrangler, who cited the same technicalities in the law, but I'd be hard-pressed to find the example.  Hopefully I'm not misinterpreting the law.  Still, I think I will probably get a license plate cover for the winch, if only to avoid unwanted attention from the fuzz

FYI - Getting antique tags has some limitations.  One being you can't leave the state - but I've never heard of it being enforced.
I looked this up because I was worried about that, too.  The technical letter of the law allows for driving within 250 miles of one's residence. (citation here)  The DMV website does not specify further whether one needs to remain in state or not.

Also, I always love to hear somebody lives in Del-Ray.  Both my parents grew up on Hume Avenue (the first block from Rte. 1) along with all grand-parents, aunts and uncles, going back to 1898.
I love Del Ray - it's such a wonderful area!  Plus, it seems like you must own a dog to live in the neighborhood, as though it were a city ordinance, haha

WWW Logged

-Saśl
RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 07:46:31 AM »

This guy has some stuff you may be interested in:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pts/d/leesburg-jeep-parts-axles-lift-kit/6958575576.html

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
SOCL
Forum User
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2019, 01:06:46 PM »

Well, the first major phase of work is complete, though we are nowhere near that proverbial "finish" Laughing

She's got a perky rear end now  Cool

Work completed this time around:
  • replaced stock suspension with Zone Offroad suspension that includes a 3-inch lift, new leaf springs, new shocks, new struts, new u-bolts
  • new boots for the shocks
  • new replacement shackles for the leaf springs
  • new Warrior Products heavy-duty u-bolt plates
  • new Rusty's Offroad adjustable sway bar disconnects
  • new steering stabilizer
  • new 30x10.5 General Grabber A/TX all-terrain tires
  • new front brake line

I also got a Rubicon transfer case lowering kit, but the mechanic was disinclined to take that on because of all the rust accumulated on the stock bolts.  The work above alone took 12 hours primarily because of the rust accumulated on the stock leaf springs and all the connected components - a torch was required to remove them.  Along with all of the rust that you can still see in the pictures (which appears to all be surface only, I hope lol), I definitely know what I'll be spending my spare time doing this winter. I foresee wire brushes and rust-oleum in my future.  I'm considering bed-lining the underside of the Jeep - any thoughts on doing that?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:24:02 PM by SOCL »

WWW Logged

-Saśl
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: