Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
August 25, 2019, 10:44:59 AM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do to your Jeep today? - August 2019  (Read 2045 times)
dave2002ti and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2019, 05:13:20 AM »

More like the past couple of weekends instead of today but managed to get the following done:

Install front bumper and winch
Install rear bumper, hitch, and trailer wiring
Made a cruise control harness and got it hooked up and working

Jeff,

The Jeep looks super clean and I've always liked that color! Thumbs Up  What bumpers are those and did you have to fix existing cruise control, or did you add it?

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
Jeepin_Donnie
Club Vice President
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 08:24:43 AM »

More like the past couple of weekends instead of today but managed to get the following done:

Install front bumper and winch
Install rear bumper, hitch, and trailer wiring
Made a cruise control harness and got it hooked up and working

Looking good!  I like those bumpers!

Mods, they never end.  My rig needs a sponsor!  Smile
R3
Committee: Trail Rides
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2019, 09:28:33 AM »

I open a can of worms ----

Pulled the hub to drill & remove three broken bolts from last weekends trip to Rausch.

That was a pretty straight forward task - 30 minutes at the press.

Next I thought, hey I'll clean & repack my wheel bearing after all they have about 9,500 miles on them plus a few wheeling trips. Well the bearings were filled with a very fine sand. I cleaned one bearing only to find that the bearing & race are not worth reinstalling.

This is what I found after cleaning just one bearing, a pan full of grit.

Guess how many auto parts stores in the Alexandria area stock wheel bearings for a 1984 CJ - so now I wait.

Stay tuned

Rock Auto.com.

Amazon.com

4 Wheel parts....

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
EVO long arms and King Coil overs
37 BFG KM3
Dynatrac, PSC, Barnes, Ried, RCV....

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
R3
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2019, 09:29:52 AM »

So I was replacing my draglink on the TJ when I discovered the passenger side lower sway bar axle mount broke off somehow:

Iíll be running disconnected until I can get new mounts welded on.

Sarkis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm available after TFT XI.

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
37 BFG KM3

"Keep calm and carry on, No Thanks! I would rather raise hell and change the world."
R3
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 09:32:22 AM »

So even with the new technology... and uprated parts designed for off road abuse.... I  after every trip  clean, grease and inspect the underpinnings of the  red Jeep. I have a grunch of  Grease fittings and suck up almost a tube of grease after each trip. It is amazing how much water  gets pushed out of all the sealed fittings. Disc brake sliders on the Jk  get gummed up with crap, result the brakes drag or do not fully release, My seal  Adams Front drive shaft  I pull off once a month and disassemble the joints and grease as there is no grease fitting.  Check Diff oils monthly  it is amazing where water  get in....

I have been using a foam cannon to wash the Jeep after trips. Attached to a pressure washer  it coats the rig with a thick blanket of foaming soap (underside too). This helps melt the trail off followed by a pressure wash.

Yes this is a PITA however,  (pause for effect) it removes most of the trail caused issues later down the road.

I go through a similar routine after each wheeling trip.  I pulled apart the brakes this weekend, after a recent trip to Rausch, only to discover a seized right front caliper.  Of course this was after I had already cleaned, inspected, and re-installed the front left.  Needless to say, I pulled the left and right apart and both front calipers and pad sets were replaced.  I'm pretty sure the last calipers and pads had less than 10k miles on them. Fortunately, the Chevy calipers and pads are cheap, so at least there's a positive side.  Bottom line, the water, mud, sand, etc. takes its toll on parts when you wheel them regularly.

Runner,
We need to tag up on a trail ride.

Cheers
RRR
17 JKURR
37 BFG KM3

sjalkian
Member 2019
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2019, 09:36:23 AM »

So I was replacing my draglink on the TJ when I discovered the passenger side lower sway bar axle mount broke off somehow:

Iíll be running disconnected until I can get new mounts welded on.

Sarkis

I'm available after TFT XI.
Thanks brother.  Tentatively will be fixed tomorrow afternoon.  Will hit you up if it falls through.

Sarkis

2000 TJ SE
4.25 total lift (3" SL and 1.25"BL)
33's
Rear D44 with ARB locker and 33 spline cromo shafts and 4.88 gears
Front HP D30 with Aussie Locker and 4.88 gears
X20 10K Synthetic Winch
jwilson2598
Webmaster
BOD
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2019, 07:24:51 PM »

Jeff,

The Jeep looks super clean and I've always liked that color! Thumbs Up  What bumpers are those and did you have to fix existing cruise control, or did you add it?

Thanks Rich! I couldnít believe when I found out they only made 314 LJs in Shale Green, who knew it was so rare. They are Mopar Rockcrawler bumpers, which were designed by AEV for Chrysler. I loved them when I first saw them, but never had the right combo of money and the Jeep they would fit on. Started looking on a whim rafter I got this since they were discontinued years ago and managed to find a guy selling the set, and he was coming to PA Jeeps with Quadratec, so the stars aligned.

On the cruise I was adding it, but of course it wasnít prewired. Ended up being a ball of fun between making the harness, having the PCM connector crack and destroy itself, which meant installing a new one one wire at a time, and the servo not working due to heavily corroded vent/vacuum plungers that I had to clean out. But it works and Iím happy as itís one of my requirements in anything Iím driving more than a mile Smile

Looking good!  I like those bumpers!

Thanks man, Iíve been wanting these bumpers for 12 years, but I was a poor college grad/newly wed back then, so Iím living out my fantasy now lol

Jeff

2013 Unlimited Sahara, Gecko Green
AEV 2.5" lift, front/rear bumpers, hood, Argent Pintler wheels, 315/70/17 Duratracs.
sjalkian
Member 2019
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2019, 06:36:36 PM »

Just adding pics to my MC gas tank skid and JKS Adjustable rear track bar install:

Sarkis

2000 TJ SE
4.25 total lift (3" SL and 1.25"BL)
33's
Rear D44 with ARB locker and 33 spline cromo shafts and 4.88 gears
Front HP D30 with Aussie Locker and 4.88 gears
X20 10K Synthetic Winch
BlueKJ
Member 2019
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2019, 09:39:43 AM »

Installed a fire extinguisher in the KJ over the weekend as well as finished replacing my broken coil over.

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2019, 08:48:19 PM »

Received my Stronghold shifter boot today. Just in time as I am going to be swapping my transfer case tomorrow evening.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2019, 09:00:10 PM »

With Garnerís help we got the transfer case put on. Of course it took a long time and it is not done.

The clocking gives me about 3 inches more of clearance. Which is nice.

2 issues to resolve. The twin sticks need to be bent to come up through the floor in the right spot.  And the front yoke on the t case needs to be swapped with the one from the old t case. It wonít let the driveshaft rotate without hitting the ears. Grrrrrrr.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2019, 05:54:37 AM »

Using the right tool for the job, it looks like Garner got the yoke off of the old t case at his house last night after he got home. Such dedication for 11 pm or later.

Now to borrow that puller and do it to the one we installed.

Almost there. I can kinda smell it. 😜

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2019, 12:57:30 PM »

Twin sticks are officially in. Had to hear and bend them. And cut an access panel to install one. As they sit, I cannot engage low gears without modifying either the tunnel cover or adding more bends to the sticks.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

highlandercj-7
Member 2019
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 03:06:48 PM »

Nice! I have had a twin stick kit in my bedroom for a couple months now, waitin to find time for the install.

HighlanderCJ-7
RattleTrap55
Member 2019
84 CJ7
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 03:35:24 PM »

Dain,

Now that the Transfer Case is nicely tucked up between the frame rails it is time to get rid of the factory skid plate and move to 0" drop skid plate from the boys at Barnes 4WD

https://www.barnes4wd.com/Jeep-CJ-Skid-Plates_c_62.html

4" Lift on 33's
4.2L w/HESCO MFI & Howard Cam
T-5 & Dana 300
Smittybilt 9,500 Winch
Spartan Locker

2018 JKU - box stock
2002 TJ Sahara w/Very Rusted Frame
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: