Hello !
Northern Virginia Jeepers Association
August 25, 2019, 11:19:59 AM

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do to your Jeep today? - August 2019  (Read 2053 times)
BlueKJ and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2019, 05:22:56 PM »

Dain,

Now that the Transfer Case is nicely tucked up between the frame rails it is time to get rid of the factory skid plate and move to 0" drop skid plate from the boys at Barnes 4WD

https://www.barnes4wd.com/Jeep-CJ-Skid-Plates_c_62.html

Just toss that on the list!

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
ogre45
Member 2019
Winchester,VA
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2019, 12:15:52 PM »

Installed a Rancho 2in progressive sport lift on the JKU. It's just springs and shocks. The winch and the hardtop really settled the stock springs I had on it, so I swapped them out.

Alex
1969 Jeepster Commando 2in lift, always in work
2018 JKU Golden Eagle, Rancho 2in progressive springs
unleashd
Member 2019
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2019, 01:54:44 PM »

Flushed and replaced the diff oil in the rear dana44 in anticipation of ridding the whine when under load that started after the last run to Flagpole with the club. It has reduced, but hasn't gone away. I do seem to have a little bit of grind when coming to a full stop.

Prakash

o|||||||o
2005  LJ

Quote from: Runner
A 3.73 ratio, or 4.10 for that matter, won't cut it with 32-33" tires and the 42RLE automatic.  4.88 is the sweet spot
Runner
Member 2019
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2019, 05:46:08 PM »

Flushed and replaced the diff oil in the rear dana44 in anticipation of ridding the whine when under load that started after the last run to Flagpole with the club. It has reduced, but hasn't gone away. I do seem to have a little bit of grind when coming to a full stop.

You should have gotten some sort of warranty with the gear install.  Can you take it back to them and have it checked?

2004 LJ, 1999 TJ Sporticon - "Owning a Jeep is a sickness. However, it's one I'll gladly endure!"
unleashd
Member 2019
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2019, 07:47:25 PM »

You should have gotten some sort of warranty with the gear install.  Can you take it back to them and have it checked?

I will take it back and ask. Not sure how much traction I will get on the warranty as it has been over 90 days since the work was done.

Prakash

o|||||||o
2005  LJ

A 3.73 ratio, or 4.10 for that matter, won't cut it with 32-33" tires and the 42RLE automatic.  4.88 is the sweet spot
drekalots
Member 2019
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2019, 05:19:53 AM »

Light maintenance, wiped down the engine bay, cleaned the exterior and removed the roof and doors.

RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2019, 06:37:57 AM »

Disassembled my 8.8 over the weekend trying to track down a high-pitched squeal.  I think i found it as the noise has not come back.  It seems it was the driver's side carrier bearing race. It was not fully seated (not visible thought) and caused a strange wear pattern inside of it.  Not a fun job to be doing in the driveway when it is 413 degrees outside.

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
unleashd
Member 2019
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2019, 11:33:01 AM »

I am also starting to wonder if I need new brake shoes, as the grinding noise comes only when I am slowing down while applying brakes. Otherwise, it is just the mild whining noise.

Prakash

o|||||||o
2005  LJ

DAMTALL
Thread Jackin' 24/7
Committee: Events
JEEP stands for Personal Freedom and Happiness!!
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2019, 09:20:46 PM »

Had the radiator pressure tested for leaks.  No leaks according to my friend Kevin!  He then burped it and topped it off.  Told me to keep an eye on it for a couple days, just to make sure.

Big Mike - 2012 JKU Crush, 2.5" Teraflex Lift with Shocks, JKS Quick Discos, RockHard4x4 Skids and Evap Relocation Bracket, JCR Crusader Bumpers (mid-width front, mid-width rear), Teraflex HD hinge tire carrier, SmittyBilt h2o winch, 16x8 ATX wheels with 315-75-16 General Grabber AT2's.
Gzilla
Forum User
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2019, 05:39:00 AM »

After the 18 year build and approaching 1000 miles.... My kids and i finally named her....

Could you guess.... JeeZilla! Pics soon.

Taking back your ex is like going to a garage sale and buying back your old stuff!
Gr8Dain
BOD
I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2019, 06:45:58 AM »

I am also starting to wonder if I need new brake shoes, as the grinding noise comes only when I am slowing down while applying brakes. Otherwise, it is just the mild whining noise.

Definitely pull the wheels off and see. That would be the best answer to your concerns. An easy fix.

Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

1949 CJ 3a - Stock - Garage queen

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile
RFH_98TJ
Member 2019
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2019, 06:51:52 AM »

I was writing as Dain was posting...

I'd take it to the shop to see what they say.  Most places warrantee the work for 1-year, but of course this depends on the shop.  At a minimum they would probably look at it thinking they might be getting another job from you.  As for your brakes, I would think they could tell you while they have it on the lift.

If you have disks in the rear, you could remove the rear wheels (if needed) and back the e-brake shoe adjusters off to see if they are rubbing.  It would also let you view the pads.  Take it for a spin and see if the noise is gone or changed.  This would however disable your e-brakes until readjusted.

If you have standard drums in the rear, flood them with a garden hose very well to wash out any grit then take it for a spin to see if the noise goes changes or goes away.  Shoes tend to wear out quicker if you go in mud on and off.  The mud tends to linger inside the drum for a while before it works its way out (if ever).

98 TJ 4.0 Sport 5-speed - 4" lift on 33s, 4.56 on D30 with Lock Right and Ford 8.8 LS, more stuff to come

- Frank
unleashd
Member 2019
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2019, 07:24:18 AM »

Definitely pull the wheels off and see. That would be the best answer to your concerns. An easy fix.
Thanks Dain. Will check and get back in a couple of weeks when Iím back in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prakash

o|||||||o
2005  LJ

unleashd
Member 2019
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2019, 07:25:14 AM »

I was writing as Dain was posting...

I'd take it to the shop to see what they say.  Most places warrantee the work for 1-year, but of course this depends on the shop.  At a minimum they would probably look at it thinking they might be getting another job from you.  As for your brakes, I would think they could tell you while they have it on the lift.

If you have disks in the rear, you could remove the rear wheels (if needed) and back the e-brake shoe adjusters off to see if they are rubbing.  It would also let you view the pads.  Take it for a spin and see if the noise is gone or changed.  This would however disable your e-brakes until readjusted.

If you have standard drums in the rear, flood them with a garden hose very well to wash out any grit then take it for a spin to see if the noise goes changes or goes away.  Shoes tend to wear out quicker if you go in mud on and off.  The mud tends to linger inside the drum for a while before it works its way out (if ever).
Rear are disk brakes. Iíll take the wheels off and check. Will get back to yíall in a couple of weeks when I get back home from vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prakash

o|||||||o
2005  LJ

mopar31898
Member 2019
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2019, 07:12:06 PM »

Well, I didnít technically do anything to the Jeep but I finally ordered a lift.  I have been thinking about it for awhile, did a lot of research and talked to a lot of people. I went with the ultimate hybrid kit from DPG.  I spoke with Dirk a few times and he was great. No pressure and extremely knowledgeable. Such a great experience.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: